Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: do you use a Shot timer? which one?

Question do you use a Shot timer? which one?

Which ones do you use and are they of any great benefit outside of formal training or competition?

What features are you looking for on a shot timer?

What drills do you pair them with?

Site Supporter
    I use a shot timer frequently, it offers quantifiable data on my progress.

If you shoot indoors and outdoors, I would find one with externally adjustable sensitivity controls. Mine is behind the battery and it's a PITA, it's a PACT Club Timer III

My old CED finally crapped out, so I've been using the Android app "IPSC Shot Timer Pro", works great on my outdoor range.

I have the PACT MK IV - you do have to break into it to adjust the sensitivity, but I have had good luck with it.

I like my CED8000. Battery life with the 9V could be better but I like the form factor and user interface. I'm concerned about durability based on reports from others but haven't experienced any problems yet.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by part-time shooter View Post
    Which ones do you use
    Competition Electronics Pocket Pro 2. They're far from perfect but they've proven more durable than most of the competition.

and are they of any great benefit outside of formal training or competition?
    Only if you want to learn to shoot faster.

What features are you looking for on a shot timer?
    • straightforward user interface
    • loud buzzer (adjustable would be best)
    • easily adjusted sensitivity
    • wide range of sensitivity, especially important if you shoot both indoors and outdoors
    • multiple string memory
    • easily readable display, preferably with most/all pertinent data displayed on one screen so you do not have to scroll through to find it all
    • uses standard store-bought battery with good battery life
    • DURABLE

What drills do you pair them with?
    Any drill or skill in which time is a component.

I've been trying like hell to get an Android shot timer working with dry fire. Thought this was a normal expectation.....
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    Someday (when I have fewer projects underway) I'm going to design and build my own shot timer. I find pretty much all units on the market lacking in one way or another.
    I have been thinking of doing the same thing.

My thoughts were to design bluetooth into it so that data could be uploaded to a PC, smartphone, etc.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    My thoughts were to design bluetooth into it so that data could be uploaded to a PC, smartphone, etc.
    I think it's ridiculous that this doesn't exist yet. I'm no hardware hacker, but I've been doing systems development since 1983. I'd love to help if anyone gets a project like this going.

PTF Shot Timer, anyone? Obviously, it would need an additional feature that Todd left out of his list... an orange case.

I run a CED7000, it's been very reliable over the last two or three years that I've had it.

User Tag List