Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New guy with a question

New guy with a question

Howdy everyone. I'm Paul and new to the site. First time posting on a pistol forum site, so yeh....

Question #1 You see that I am posting on Christmas, so must mean I got a lil bit of money for the holiday. I am looking to pick up a new pistol, specifically a Glock 34 Gen4. I've been doing my research for a month or so and I keep getting hit and miss info on the pistol. But same problems keep popping up about it, mostly ejector springs and the double spring assembly being to tight and that the trigger break is atrocious. But then I sights and videos where guys grab this out of the box and shoots flawlessly. So not sure if they are fanboys or what. But I''m pretty deadset on a Glock 34 Gen4 maybe a gen 3. Im asking Pistol-Forum if the Gen 4 has had its kinks worked out or should I wait Longer?

Appreciate it.

-Paul

"Initial Success or Total Failure"

Hi Paul, welcome to the site. Not to nitpick, but most of the GEN4 problems around here have centered around the extractor. The problems appear inconsistent - it is possible to buy a reliable GEN4, and it is also possible to buy a lemon. Apex Tactical has recently released a high performance extractor for the Glock that seems to be solving many of these issues, so I'd be more confident about buying a GEN4 these days.

I haven't read much about the 'ejector springs' (not sure what this is on a Glock, as the ejector doesn't use a spring) and the Recoil Spring Assembly has long since been fixed as part of a Glock recall. As for the trigger, Glock triggers are actually pretty decent out of the box, and complaints about the GEN4 trigger seem to have abated since Glock introduced the 'dot' connector. The G34 typically comes with the '-' connector, which results in an even lighter trigger pull. In any case, Glock triggers are easily customized - a little polish goes a long way (see this Gear Scout article).

I have zero experience with the GEN4 G34, but my GEN3 G34 has long been a favorite. The G34 is one of the most popular competition handguns ever made. But what do you plan to use the G34 for? It may or may not be the best choice for your needs.

Again, welcome to the site and Happy Holidays.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Hard to say for sure if the issues are completely resolved. It's not at all uncommon for those owners who have problems to express that over the net, but for every one of those there are hundreds that work perfectly that you'll never hear about. My gen 3 G34 is boringly reliable and two guys I regularly shoot with bought gen 4 G34's about 6 months ago and to my knowledge have had no issues with either. I would say go for it.
    Shooter's Digest Blog

Very cool to hear, getting all excited that i can make this happen soon. Thank you for the quick response.

Mostly I wanna get this is to get in to the local Amateur competition shooting around Bragg, but mostly I have wanted a Glock for along time. This won't be my first pistol purchase, but my first Glock. I have asked guys I work with and they all shoot everything else. The range owner I talked to was even worse than my buddy's at the shop, this fool thinking he can persuade me to get some blingy .45 like I'm infantry or something.

"Initial Success or Total Failure"

I have several gen4 9mms in my charge, all are fine. The two most recently acquired are my own carry guns. The first, a G19 acquired 12/10 just passed the 1500rd mark, and a G26 acquired 12/21 just passed 500. The G26 came with a "crunchy" trigger that is improving.

My advice to those contemplating gen4 9mms is to buy one and shoot it. There's too much noise in the signal:noise interweb discussions on the topic.

I, too, like the G34.

I have two Gen 4 34's and prefer them to my wife's two Gen 3 34's, as I believe they are more accurate, prefer the texture, mag release and slightly smaller size of the G4. JV just got one, too.

With the availability of the Apex extractor should problems arise, I would have now have no problems shooting a gen 4 G34.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by EOD_Paul View Post
    and the double spring assembly being to tight
    Glock released a few different iterations of recoil springs, but they've been shipping the latest version with new guns for a long time. The recoil spring on mine is fine. It's lightened up a bit after a range session. If it's still too heavy for your loads, get a recoil spring reducer and run any Gen3 assembly: http://www.brownells.com/handgun-par...prod41930.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by EOD_Paul View Post
    and that the trigger break is atrocious.
    It's tunable, and with only a few parts.

Ghost 3.5# Connector: http://www.brownells.com/handgun-par...prod25315.aspx
    Wolff 5# Striker Spring: http://www.gunsprings.com/index.cfm?...ID=1&mID=5#985
    Changing only these two parts yielded a 5 lb 5 oz pull.

Changing the trigger bar moved it to 4 lb 10 oz.
    Gen3 17 Trigger Bar: http://www.brownells.com/handgun-par...040-49306.aspx
    Last edited by JV_; 12-26-2012 at 06:19 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    prefer the texture, mag release and slightly smaller size of the G4.
    Me too.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    JV just got one, too.
    Yes, and a Gen4 17.

One of my G4 34's has the GlockTriggers.com Guardian with a G3 trigger bar and polished stock parts, and the other just a minus connector and otherwise stock parts, and both triggers have grown on me so much I prefer them to a G3 trigger. They have enough roll and weight that I think of them as shorter P30 LEM triggers, and are very predictable/shootable.

User Tag List