Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Glock 36

Interesting timing -- Larry Vickers just said, in his "ask Larry" section on M4, that he would not carry a 9mm 1911 for defense as they will never be as reliable as a 1911 in .45.

Site Supporter
    For me, there is a point where something is "reliable enough", and as long as it passes that standard, it's fine. Everyone's threshold is different.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Interesting timing -- Larry Vickers just said, in his "ask Larry" section on M4, that he would not carry a 9mm 1911 for defense as they will never be as reliable as a 1911 in .45.
    Which is, coincidentally, somewhat similar to my feelings about .45 G-Locks, only the other way around.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Haraise View Post
    Funny to still read that here when Todd Green is in the process of getting a short 1911.

A CCO or bobtailed commander is nothing to be afraid of, assuming you get the right one and care for it.
    I don't consider a Commander to be a compact or short 1911. I think that describess the 3" 1911's on the market. I'd feel much better about a Commander or CCO than a 3" model.

Quote Originally Posted by Haraise View Post
    Funny to still read that here when Todd Green is in the process of getting a short 1911.

A CCO or bobtailed commander is nothing to be afraid of, assuming you get the right one and care for it.
    (Emphasis mine)

That's the rub. What are the comparative price points and PM/upkeep requirements at a certain performance level between the right 1911 and something else (Glock, M&P, or other). Many will require an identical spare of the chosen model or within the system, too, making the costs and logistics more complex.

Not unthinkable, and nothing to be afraid of, but something that must be gone into with both eyes open.

Not that steel versus alloy has been specified, but for me, alloy, 1911 and reliable don't go in the same sentence. While I have a few 1911 alloy guns that run, it is a crapshoot compared to steel.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Which is, coincidentally, somewhat similar to my feelings about .45 G-Locks, only the other way around.
    Tam, would you care to explain why you don't care for Glock 45's? I'm curious. I've had 1911's, Sig's, and Glocks in 45 and liked them all. For a stock 45 the Sig P220 is my favorite and a well built 1911 is by far the pistol I enjoy shooting the most. But for price, availability, a concealability I've always leaned toward the Glocks.

I could buy two Glock 36's plus several mags for the price of a tuned 4" 1911. The Glock won't be as smooth or shootable as the 1911 but it also will require very little to keep it running (I think).

Quote Originally Posted by linkscoach View Post
    Tam, would you care to explain why you don't care for Glock 45's?
    Mostly because I think that the farther away from a pistol's original chambering and dimensions, the more problems you may encounter.

The .45 Glocks are an adaptation of the 10mm Glocks, themselves swollen versions of the original small-frame (9/.40/.357) guns. Then when you chop the slides you increase slide speeds and make properly-functioning mag springs that much more crucial...

All things considered, If I'm going to have a Glock these days, it's going to be a 17 or maybe a 19, and my 1911s are going to be 5" steel guns in .45ACP.

(I'm not saying that the other variants aren't necessarily reliable, but I'm just not hung up enough on caliber anymore to worry about it. I'm comfortable with a 1911 in .45. If I need more potent BBs for whatever reason, I'll take my 629; if I need more BBs, I'll carry a plastic 9.)

Quote Originally Posted by Skintop911 View Post
    (Emphasis mine)

That's the rub. What are the comparative price points and PM/upkeep requirements at a certain performance level between the right 1911 and something else (Glock, M&P, or other). Many will require an identical spare of the chosen model or within the system, too, making the costs and logistics more complex.

Not unthinkable, and nothing to be afraid of, but something that must be gone into with both eyes open.
    You might want to read the Pistol-Training 1911 updates for the answer to this.

*redacted*

I will not get in Glock/1911 discussions on the internet.
    x97
    Last edited by Tamara; 12-27-2012 at 05:57 AM.

User Tag List