Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New S&W M&P Issue(s)

New S&W M&P Issue(s)

So, I bought a new MP9c, came with three mags and night sights, all new from a distributor via the LGS. I shot a full size .40, and compact 9 and .40 as well. My intention was possibly for a smaller off-duty gun and more importantly to get some trigger time and become familiar with the MP due to a transition in the near future to MP's as duty pistols for my agency. Pistol arrives, I shoot and qualify with it and put about 400 rounds through it. I had some accuracy issues around the 20-25 yard lines, we have to shoot from the 25 yard line during one of several qual courses. I chalked it up to a new gun and new trigger that I was not used to. The slide stop release was super hard to use even when staging and I had to sling shot it on reloads. I spent some time at home trying to break in the slide release and my thumbs have had it. I then sent the frame off for a stipple job. Have the gun back and put another approx. 400 rounds through it. The slide stop is still very hard to release, will release with two thumbs on loaded mags or empty mags on the left side, right side for ambi use is not possible unless the gun is empty and no mag in it. I thought this would wear in after use, but I've never had one that was this hard/stiff, I had no issues with any Glock, HK, 1911, or 3rd. Gen S&W pistols as far as the slide release goes. The slide appears to be machined the same as a coworkers more broken in MP9c and the slide stops look to be about the same in the frame as well. But more importantly after reading all the issues with FS MP9 accuracy, I'm thinking this gun has an accuracy issue as well. I'm still getting very inconsistent groups out on the 25 yard line all the way into the 15 yard line. I have not put it in a rest, but after shooting it, I shot the same course of fire with my duty pistol and off-duty Glock and had no issues with 25 yard line accuracy. Maybe its me and the MP trigger, the trigger is different, but I don't think it is that different. So, does anyone know of any SW MP9c accuracy issues other than just on the full size? Thanks in advance, my search fu was weak today. Stay Low

http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.p...1789#post81789

Try this link. Some advice on page 2 about stoning.

smoothing slide notch

I've had really stiff slide releases about 1/2 of my M&Ps. The solution is easy...either shoot it until it breaks in, or
    take some sandpaper to the slide notch. Easy does it. 20-30 sec of light sanding has been plenty, including on a gun that could not be released without using both thumbs. It just gets easier from there...so easy does it.

As for accuracy, really sounds to me like you need to have a good shooter bench it. I've certainly had major problems with some of my M&P9 full size guns. Haven't seen it in compacts though

Update: I had some time to bench the gun. We put it on a bench in a rest and had two very good shooters shoot it from the 25 yard line, unsupported and on the rest. I also shot it from the rest and unsupported with them. Accuracy and shot placement was all over the place with several different factory loads, from the bench and unsupported. Also, I had two other S&W MP compacts there to compare with. One was an older MP9c, and the second a newer MP40c. I had never shot either of these guns and both had factory sights and were bone stock. We shot these two as comparison from the 25 to 15 yard lines with the rest and unsupported. These other two compacts shot a much tighter group from the 25 yard line both on the rest and unsupported, with all three shooters, myself included. Neither were bulls eye target pistols, but the accuracy was ten times better than my recent production MP9c.

I got in touch with an agency LE rep from Smith&Wesson and he stated that this did not sound right for a new production MP and sent me a shipping label and requested that I ship it back to Smith immediately. He also kept me in the loop as to communications with the factory. The gun went out today to S&W. We shall see what happens with it going back to S&W. As an alternate plan, I did some research into the KKM Precision drop in barrels for MP's. I spoke to an employee there this morning and he advised that they had very positive feedback for their drop in barrels in MP FS 9's and 9c's, so this may be the next option. I was hoping this gun would be cured by a trip back to Smith, time will tell. Any thoughts on these KKM barrels? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeJumper View Post
    I got in touch with an agency LE rep from Smith&Wesson and he stated that this did not sound right for a new production MP and sent me a shipping label and requested that I ship it back to Smith immediately.
    Training to be a customer service rep for S&W must be to repeat ten times each morning, "no, I am not aware of any accuracy problems with the M&P 9 models." At Glock, ten times repeating, "what reliability problems."

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Training to be a customer service rep for S&W must be to repeat ten times each morning, "no, I am not aware of any accuracy problems with the M&P 9 models." At Glock, ten times repeating, "what reliability problems."
    And the best CS in the industry! Practice makes perfect.

edit removed comment about more testing as I somehow missed the great big post where the shooter had already carefully benched the gun. my bad.
    Last edited by JHC; 12-18-2012 at 09:34 AM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post

I guess I am fortunate because all my former M&P's were combat accurate and all my Glocks have been without issues.

Combat accurate, that may be the most accurate description I have heard of the M&P 9 pistols I own!

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeJumper View Post
    Update: The gun went out today to S&W. We shall see what happens with it going back to S&W. As an alternate plan, I did some research into the KKM Precision drop in barrels for MP's. I spoke to an employee there this morning and he advised that they had very positive feedback for their drop in barrels in MP FS 9's and 9c's, so this may be the next option. I was hoping this gun would be cured by a trip back to Smith, time will tell. Any thoughts on these KKM barrels? Thanks
    KKM barrels are great. I dropped one in my M&P a few months ago and the accuracy improved drastically.

Quote Originally Posted by KeeFus View Post
    KKM barrels are great. I dropped one in my M&P a few months ago and the accuracy improved drastically.
    Good to know with some user feedback. Thanks. I think this is my contingency plan if the trip back to smith does not fix it. I'll probably get the barrel NP3 coated from Robar as well. The guys at KKM recommended an ion-bond coating as well.

User Tag List