Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: OWB - Most concealable holster that hugs the body?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave J View Post
    Honestly, I'm not sure you'll find any one manufacturer that really has a leg up on the others as far as concealability goes. It's not like "OWB pancake" is secret technology known only to a few, and ride height and cant are probably as much about individual preference as anything else. IMHO, anyway.
    I hear what you are saying. I was just trying to hear people's opinions no matter how subjective they might be. I know with AIWB, holsters actually have features to help with concealability and people have very real opinions on them which helped me find a great aiwb rig that works incredibly well compared to my previous one.

I was wondering if people have evaluated owb holsters in that way and if they could share. Even if it is as simple as "i find leather holds closer to the body because it can wrap around your body easier where as kydex is fixed." or "raven makes a great holster and I prefer the pancake wings which hold it closer"

The reason I bring up Raven is because they actually market their other attachment methods as ways to get a closer fitting holster. I've not really found any other owb maker to do that yet....hence the question to the group.

Thanks all, keep the good info coming. Merry Christmas.

Site Supporter
    In general, I think leather pancakes are a little more adaptable, since the flexibility of the leather allows it to conform to your waistline. OTOH, if your Kydex happens to have a level of curvature that suits you, it's just as good.
    Nothing beats the pancake style for OWB concealability IME- although other OWB styles may be faster and more comfortable, while still concealing well enough (but that's not what you asked).
    Ride height needs to be high enough to keep the muzzle above the concealing garment. Any higher usually isn't helpful. Optimum cant depends on where you wear it, the further back you go, the more you need...but for pure concealment I think 15-25 degrees often helps keep the gun butt from printing -- obviously this depends on the gun model, clothing, and other factors.
    As long as I could wear a reasonably suitable cover garment, I never had a problem hiding any normal service pistol (e.g. 1911, G19, M9, Etc.) at 3:30-4:00 in a normal Raven or similar styled leather pancake. 10 or 15 degrees of cant worked well for me when I used OWB...most humans are oblivious to the world around them, and won't notice even if you don't have the "perfect" concealment holster...at least as long as you don't have to remove the cover garment. .

I think you might get more useful responses if you specify your manner of dress, and gun model.

HTH,
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by dickmadison View Post
    I hear what you are saying. I was just trying to hear people's opinions no matter how subjective they might be. I know with AIWB, holsters actually have features to help with concealability and people have very real opinions on them which helped me find a great aiwb rig that works incredibly well compared to my previous one.

I was wondering if people have evaluated owb holsters in that way and if they could share. Even if it is as simple as "i find leather holds closer to the body because it can wrap around your body easier where as kydex is fixed." or "raven makes a great holster and I prefer the pancake wings which hold it closer"

The reason I bring up Raven is because they actually market their other attachment methods as ways to get a closer fitting holster. I've not really found any other owb maker to do that yet....hence the question to the group.

Thanks all, keep the good info coming. Merry Christmas.
    Speaking of holster features, does anyone make an OWB holster with a way to make the grip lean into the body like the Keeper? I've never seen one.

The X Concealment "C" holster is the most concealable kydex (pancake style) OWB that I've used. I've got 3 of them with one more on the way and have completely stopped using my Ravens as a result.

Your question doesn't have an answer. Every body is different and everybody carries in different locations (even if only subtle differences) which make it impossible to say one is better than the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Haraise View Post
    Speaking of holster features, does anyone make an OWB holster with a way to make the grip lean into the body like the Keeper? I've never seen one.
    I purchased an Old Faithful OWB holster and noted that it allowed the butt of the gun to tilt outward. I velcroed a 1/2" thick piece of high density foam to the bottom rear of the leather backing. Works great. I sent an email to Old Faithful suggesting they sew a couple thicknesses of leather to the bottom of the backing as a more permanent solution.
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

I'm partial to no cant Bruce Nelson style holsters (currently Ritchie's Vertical Speed Scabbard version).

However, these are currently being rotated with a Darkstar's Minimal Kydex no cant OWB with soft loops that I really like. Only had it for a few weeks, but it's become my holster of choice for a Glock 19/23.
    "Hope is not a course of action, nor a method of execution...."

For me - the most concealable holster is a second decision factor that closely follows functionality.

I prefer Raven Concealment OWB holsters - but instead of their standard belt loops, I upgraded to pancake wings. For me, the pancake wings take a great holster into a perfect one.

Alessi DOJ open port.

A Glock 26 in a 10º Raven Concealment Phantom, adjusted to 5º, is what I have now. It works great, but I feel like the little Glock 26 would conceal better in a 0º cant. Anything larger and I would probably be at 5º or 10º cant.

The downside to this setup is that the Raven carries very high, and the short barrel of the 26 causes this to be top-heavy, and unless you have a very stiff and snug belt, the rig wants to flop outward. With jeans and a Wilderness Tactical with the insert, there is no "flop."

195 lb.
    34" waist
    6' 1"

User Tag List