Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Hot or Cold?

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    I'm guilty of it myself, there are times where I'll finish a match, take off my full-size pistol and throw a Sig P238 in a pocket holster because it's a lot less work to deal with.

You just described the majority of top IDPA shooters.

I'm not sure I'd want to be on a hot range with some of the egos I've come across lately. The last thing I want to deal with as an SO or a competitor is some individual who has a monumental ego and a loaded gun.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post
    If the IDPA match was following the rules, everyone who handled their gun in the parking lot would be disqualified.
    x2

In my opinion, if IDPA intends to stay true to it's principles, it needs to have a rule like USPSA's rule 2.5

12 • USPSA Handgun Rules, June 2010 Edition

Unloading/Loading Station
    If it is possible that some competitors arriving at a range where a USPSA match is being held may be in possession of a loaded firearm on their person (e.g. law enforcement officers, persons duly authorized to carry a loaded firearm, etc.), match organizers should provide an Unloading/Loading Station to enable such competitors to safely unload their firearms prior to entering the range, and to safely load their firearms again on departure from the range. The Unloading/Loading Station should be conveniently located outside the entrance to the range (or outside the portion of the range allocated to the USPSA match), it should be clearly sign-marked and it must include a suitable impact zone.
    Where no Unloading/Loading station is provided, a competitor who arrives at a match in possession of a loaded firearm and proceeds immediately to a match official for the express purpose of safely unloading the firearm shall not be subject to disqualification per the provisions of Rule 10.5.13.

<http://www.uspsa.org/rules/2010HandgunRulesProof3web.pdf>

At both IDPA clubs I shoot with regularly, at the shooters meeting, the MD asks if anyone is carrying a loaded firearm. If so, one of the SOs takes them to an empty bay to unload. There's plenty of stuff that should be in the IDPA rulebook but isn't, but we make do.

Two observations about this. I run IDPA matches at the local level in Albuquerque. I am a SO and RO for the club. I don't know if I have a solid opinion about this topic but here are a few points to add to the discussion.

Observation 1: It is important to cater to the lowest common denominator when it comes to safety.

Real life example with first hand experience is this... The beginning of this year we had an influx of new shooters. Some were good, others were not, and some were down right scary with their safety and worse yet their ideas of what was safe. (carrying a 1911 in condition 2, etc.) Under SO direction, being around safe shooters and some experience the ones who stuck around are now safe, trusted, and able to pass their knowledge on to others. Would that have happened if they arrived as new shooters to a stressful environment that was unsafe, or if they had an experienced SO beat them with a wet noodle because no one ever showed them the "right" way to do things, who knows. But having the safety geared to the "lowest common denominator" gave them structure and an idea what to expect and an environment to learn. I think this is equally important to these games because it is not only about competition but being good second amendment ambassadors.

That being said.... Observation 2: Expect high levels and allow people to meet those levels.

Most in my IDPA club carry. They are expected to handle firearms well. In addition the host gun club runs a hot range. It turns cold during IDPA matches so at some point there needs to be a transition. We have a loading / unloading area that is unsupervised and safe to passers by. The logic is if you can load and unload the gun at your house then you can do it on the range. Besides this is much safer than cars in the case of a ND.

I now live by a simple rule--I will not do training classes, matches, or personal practice at any range that is not run hot. Period.

Last edited by ToddG; 09-17-2012 at 02:11 PM. Reason: removed copyrighted text

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    Why is that?
    If a proper holster is utilized, pocket draws are as safe as any other draw.
    I've seen more fumbled draws and dropped guns from race holsters in IPSC matches than I have unsafe/fumbled draws from pocket carry in our local CCW matches in which we allow pocket carry (with MD/RO approval).
    That has not been my experience. Race holsters are very easy to draw from and almost fumble proof. Drawing from a pocket holster is very slow and fumble prone from what I have seen from people practicing this skill. I would not like to allow it simple because you have to plan for the least common denominator. While you may be perfectly safe doing it some new shooter probably will not be.
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    I now live by a simple rule--I will not do training classes, matches, or personal practice at any range that is not run hot. Period.
    I also like a hot range but I also like to compete and if I followed the same rule I would not be able to shoot other than by myself and for training. While I like a hot range I understand why they run competition this way. You have all levels of shooters at matches from the God like to Tex Grubner quality. I have had guns pointed at me while ROing more than once. (DQ's were earned obviously) What I would like to do is have invitational only matches where you coud trust everyone then run it hot.
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Completely agree, but your experience is well beyond mine. Could you provide some specifics as to why you feel this way?

User Tag List