Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 22 Conversions For AR15

22 Conversions For AR15

What works and what doesn't? Trying to cut the ammo expense and the availability issue.

CMMG is one I've seen, not sure on quality or long term use. Ideally I want a M&P22 but it's not in the cards at the moment.

Thanks in advance forum members.

I have one of the old Colt .22 conversion kits. It works very well. The trick is finding magazines for it. I have basically sidelined it until a decent reliable mag is on the market. I'm currently looking for some. I'll let you know what I find out after testing.

I bought a Tactical Solutions dedicated .22 upper, with Black Dog mags. It runs very well. The Smith and Wesson MP15-22 had not been released or announced when I bought it.

I have not used a CMMG kit. I'd stay away from a Ciener kit. His company combines the efficiency of the DMV with the charm of the IRS.

I have both the M&P and the Tacsol conversion upper. Both are outstanding. The tacsol is a hair more accurate, but both are very accurate.

I have a cmmg conversion for my ar15.

Maybe 2500 rounds through the conversion with nothing but shitty ammo related problems, kind of an inherent risk of 22lr ammo.

Accuracy is good at 25 and 50 meters, haven't shot past that.

I think I paid $130 for mine and picked up 3 mags for a total of 5 and grand total of about $190. It's way to cheap and fun to burn through 500 rounds with the family or wife on occassion for $20.
    OEF Vet
    Reading and Learning

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    I used a CMMG briefly before just going with a dedicated M&P15/22.

The expense was worth it.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post

That's what I've been telling the wife.....

Thanks for the responses!

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post

Agreed - I experimented with a Ceiner kit and BDM magazines, but the M&P 15-22 is the best solution. I paid $465 for mine - yes, it is more expensive than a conversion kit, but it is still relatively inexpensive. I've been very impressed with the accuracy and reliability - more so than I was with the conversion kit.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

My CMMG upper is also real finicky about ammo. It does a real good job of double feed and stove pipe drills with cheap bulk ammo. If I buy the pricier stuff like Stinger and what not the gun runs fine. I've also found that the Mags tend to be a bit of a tight fit, but if you can get passed those headaches it works. If I had to do it all over again I'd probably get the M&P 15/22 though
    I do my best proofreading after I hit "Send"

I have a CMMG kit that I run on a BCM and a Sabre 16" midlength upper. It was purchased cheap in the bargain cave (return bin) at Cabelas and figured why not give it a try. My big concern was that the person who purchased it had filed down the little tuning bumps on the magazine. I have 700ish rounds through it with very few issues, just the occasional jam that you get with shooting cheap bulk ammo- about 1 jam every 150 rounds.

My son has the M&P 15/22 and it is a very nice gun. It runs about the same as the CMMG on bulk ammo.

I like the CMMG kit better because I can throw it in my AR and be practicing with the exact same setup as the real deal. Point of aim is off by about 2" at 50 yards which isn't enough to matter for the tactical stuff that I am doing.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

I have a TacSol upper. They can be finicky but once you use a rounded hammer and semi decent ammo they run like a dream. I also have a 15-22, I was convinced one was better than the other but I am mixed.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

User Tag List