Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: upgrading stock Remington 870 Express to duty grade spec

Quote Originally Posted by R.M.T. View Post
    +1 to everything these superstars have said

Now my preferances are Vang comp everything:

Barrel: Hans sometimes has police take-offs that he will sell for cheap with the work all done. (Try to get one without porting, I shot mine without earpro=not good.)

Ghostring sight (his front sight is robust and well protected, and the front takes an AR front sight)

1 shot extension (handier then 2 shot extention and more robust the 2 shot)

Forearm has to be surefire (I like the less cluttered old school laser products one)

Stock, Hogue super short ( although I will be trying a magpul stock)

As far as side saddles go I like all of the well made ones, the Mesa Tactical 6 shot is good. I haven't tried the Velcro ones nor due I intend to they appear to be weak.

As it is late I can not thing of any thing else to add I will call it done.
    1) I agree on ditch the porting, especially on short barrels, as they increase the noise level to an uncomfortable amount.

2) I prefer the G,G&G fore end, with a bit of weaver base for a light, as that SF fore end is heavy!

3) I really like the Vang soft side saddle. A side saddle ruins the handling of a shotgun for me, but the only thing worse than poor handling is a shotgun without ammo. The Vang side saddle lets you quickly add or remove the side saddle. When hiking, I often remove the side saddle and put in a pocket, but put the side saddle back on when dismounting the shotgun.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    1) I agree on ditch the porting, especially on short barrels, as they increase the noise level to an uncomfortable amount.

2) I prefer the G,G&G fore end, with a bit of weaver base for a light, as that SF fore end is heavy!

3) I really like the Vang soft side saddle. A side saddle ruins the handling of a shotgun for me, but the only thing worse than poor handling is a shotgun without ammo. The Vang side saddle lets you quickly add or remove the side saddle. When hiking, I often remove the side saddle and put in a pocket, but put the side saddle back on when dismounting the shotgun.
    GJM,
    1) completely agree on porting. For any one who hasn't shot a shotgun with porting it feels like getting hit up side the head with large ball.

2) I haven't tried the GG&G forearm, but I will look into them.

3) I will have to try that soft side saddle. How does it hold up, in terms of the elastic?
    Last edited by R.M.T.; 12-31-2012 at 03:08 PM.

3) I will have to try that soft side saddle. How does it hold up, interms the elastic?
    The Velcro saddles will wear out eventually. With the 3GunGear version, this doesn't really matter as it costs 20$ and even less to replace the elastic or backing alone.

I'm not sure what I think of Vang's offering being 80$, but I've not used it. I find it hard to believe it's four times better.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRoland View Post
    The Velcro saddles will wear out eventually. With the 3GunGear version, this doesn't really matter as it costs 20$ and even less to replace the elastic or backing alone.

I'm not sure what I think of Vang's offering being 80$, but I've not used it. I find it hard to believe it's four times better.
    How is the velcro backing affixed? Glue? I question the durability of any adhesive in Arizona summers, especially if the gun is left in the trunk of a car (i.e. some duty weapons)

LHS,
    It appears to be a plate that is affixed to the receiver through the two pin holes that hold the the trigger assembly in. The Velcro appears just be adhered to the plate although in the pictures it is hard to tell. All in all it looks much more stout that I was assuming.

The one thing I don't like about the Mesa tactical side saddle is, when its cold the elastic that provide the friction for the shells shrinks and allows the shells to fall free.

LHS,

The one thing I don't like about the Mesa tactical side saddle is, when its cold the elastic that provide the friction for the shells shrinks and allows the shells to fall free.
    Not if they are stored brass up. When I see shotgun shells in a side saddle, brass down, it reminds me of the guys who hang their field knives upside down. Then wonder where their knife is 8 clicks into a 12k hike.

Gravity.

I do my best to avoid man made devices which attempt to defy gravity wherever possible............I can't always get around it. Planes. Parachutes. Etc.

But when I have a choice, my knife, and my bullets are kept oriented in such a fashion that it takes more than simply gravity to lose them.

I'm running the Magpul stock and forearm on my 870 and I have to say that's the best furniture I've seen in 25 years.

On the light, here's what I've been wanting to try:

Mesa makes a small right side receiver mount Picatinny rail that was designed for breachers. Stick a Surefire X300 on there and it might very well be a slick solution for keeping the light off the forearm. The part number from Mesa is 92150.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    Not if they are stored brass up. When I see shotgun shells in a side saddle, brass down, it reminds me of the guys who hang their field knives upside down. Then wonder where their knife is 8 clicks into a 12k hike.

Gravity.

I do my best to avoid man made devices which attempt to defy gravity wherever possible............I can't always get around it. Planes. Parachutes. Etc.

But when I have a choice, my knife, and my bullets are kept oriented in such a fashion that it takes more than simply gravity to lose them.
    While I fully understand the reasoning (and the truth) behind this, I've found that my Truckasaurus hands have a lot easier time accessing the ammo if it's alternated up-down-up-down in the saddle. Then again, my 870 is pretty much relegated to home defense, and won't see hours of use running around the woods or streets at a time. Given the far lower chance of having it drop shells in that time frame, and the proven (to me) benefits of having additional space for my hands to find purchase on the shells, I stick with the alternating directions.

I also tend to use the bottom-fed shells to reload the magazine, and the top-fed shells to do ejection-port reloads.

As always, YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post

Gravity.

Sean,
    I completely agree its an easy fix, I have found that allowing the elastic to decompress is the best answer, every couple months, if you want to run the rim down, along with LHS my shotguns are stationary objects that don't move often other then occasional range time. The root of the complaint is based on my experiences with the Scattergun Technologies Side Saddle which held the shells very tightly and don't have a tendency to loosen up under adverse conditions. The Mesa Side Saddle was just an experiment to see if it fit my needs.

I do agree with you combat gravity is a good thing, people who run their knives upside down are missing a wire or two.

SouthNarc,
    I am locking into the product right now, thanks for the tip.

Quote Originally Posted by LHS View Post
    How is the velcro backing affixed? Glue? I question the durability of any adhesive in Arizona summers, especially if the gun is left in the trunk of a car (i.e. some duty weapons)
    The Vang Comp is pre-secured via adhesive onto a plate with bolts, I believe. The 3GunGear version is adhesive directly on the receiver. I guess that's where the $60 price difference goes.

I've had no problems with the 3GunGear adhesive on a few hot days, but don't live in AZ nor do I leave my gun in my trunk on a regular basis. Nor do I use it on a gun I'm realistically going to use for self-defense.
    Last edited by TheRoland; 12-31-2012 at 07:40 PM.

User Tag List