Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: upgrading stock Remington 870 Express to duty grade spec

Quote Originally Posted by R.M.T. View Post
    I like the upgrade followers, I am not sure if they are needed. They do give me a warm fuzzy feeling, I like the Vang. As to parts I will get back to you on that.
    I can't speak to the 870, haven't used one in awhile, but I fixed a bunch of our 500s, like 150 of them, with Wolff springs and Vang stainless followers.

The factory springs suck, crap out way too early and tend to rust, the factory followers are a bit flimsy and tend to stick in the tube with any amount of dust bunnies, or as it turns out rust specs from the springs. No abuse at work, just our humid summers here.

I can highly recommend the Wolff/Vang combo
    Last edited by Chuck Haggard; 09-15-2013 at 11:24 PM.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    For a follower, I am currently using the one that came with my Vang mag tube extension. I am assuming these are groovy and that "upgrading" to a metal one like the GG&G would be pointless, if not actually counterproductive?

(I knew a dude who had a smokin' Scattergun Technologies Border Patrol gun with a tritium bead in the mag follower; I thought it was cool but maybe a little overkill?)
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

I was really digging the design of the Vang part.

Stainless, grooved around the circumference like a lead bullet and had very square edges so that it actually scrubbed debris from the inside of the mag tube, doughnut hole in the middle so debris just fell clean out, stainless so it was shiny visible against the black receiver, and of course the hole allowed finger confirmation that the tube was empty if you were locked in the ninja closet and working in complete darkness.

Quote Originally Posted by tpd223 View Post
    I was really digging the design of the Vang part.
    Ah. The extension I got came with the snot green plastic follower. At less than $20, I will look into the metal unit.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Ah. The extension I got came with the snot green plastic follower. At less than $20, I will look into the metal unit.
    Cheap insurance it is.

Example; We had a run of ammo that was leaking buffer out of the crimps. That sort of thing was a jam maker with our old followers as the junk would get between the followers and the inside of the tube and stick tight, with the Vang followers it got bulldozed away or just fell out of the hole in the middle.

Are you sure it's a Vang and not a Wilson? The Wilson extensions come with a dayglow green delrin follower. Louis Awerbuck said he didn't like the idea of metal on metal contact of the Vang follower against the tube.

Someone a few pages back asked about the Knoxx recoil absorbing stocks. I find they reduce the kick from a 12ga pump to feel more like that of a 12ga autoloader. The difference was noticeable to me.
    "If it ain't the Devil's music, you're doing it wrong!" - Chris Thomas King

Quote Originally Posted by Cybrludite View Post
    Someone a few pages back asked about the Knoxx recoil absorbing stocks. I find they reduce the kick from a 12ga pump to feel more like that of a 12ga autoloader. The difference was noticeable to me.
    My 20ga 870 came with the Knoxx stock and it is really comfortable to shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    Are you sure it's a Vang and not a Wilson? The Wilson extensions come with a dayglow green delrin follower.
    You are correct. It is a Scattergun Tech part.

I just built this 870 Magnum Marine and used the Mesa Tactical LEO stock with hydraulic recoil stock kit. With this setup, there is almost no felt recoil. I really like the setup.

User Tag List