Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Sig P239 - opinions and experiences?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jck397 View Post
    I shoot the P226 and P229 noticeably better than any of my other pistols, but I'm fairly underwhelmed with my P239 so far. Mine is a 1996 gun that was unfired, but appears to have been used for dry fire. I replaced the thin trigger with a standard one, and put in a new recoil spring.

For me it seems as sensitive to trigger finger placement as a Glock, and I found myself pulling shots to the left. I also had issues with riding the slide stop lever, something that rarely happens with the double-stack guns. At one point I had depressed it just far enough that it barely engaged, and when I removed the magazine that disturbance was enough to allow the slide to slam forward.

I had one malfunction, a failure to eject that occurred at I believe round 176, on the last round of the magazine. I was expecting slide lock anyway so I didn't immediately perform a malfunction drill, but as the gun recoiled I could actually feel the slide short-stroke. Ammo was Speer Lawman 147 gr. FMJ.

On the plus side, the gun is very concealable, and pretty soft-shooting for a smaller pistol. It just takes a lot more concentration for me to get accurate hits than it does with the double-stack SIGs.
    Handguns are so subjective. Personally, the P239 has always been one of my best shooting Sigs. Strangely, I pull shots left with my P226--P239 puts them right in the bullseye. All day every day. I've had a P228, a P225/P6 and I shoot my P239 better than all of them.

I think a lot of it has to do with hand size/grip size. I have small hands, so I can get a lot of hand around the P239, and a lot of finger on the trigger. Helps me control the shots. I will say I do have Nill grips on mine... which feel just about perfect for me. Though I still shot the gun very well with the stock grips.

Only malf I ever had with a P239 was a FTE with 115gr reman right after putting a brand new recoil spring in. No surprises there. That was also a 1996 model (first year, for the 239 I think). I currently have a 2006 model (SBU serial) which has been flawless.

P239 fan here. I have two: one when they first became available and the other purchased in 2014. Shoots like a larger pistol and conceals well.

I just realized that this thread started in 2012.....

I've been using classic Sigs since the early 2000s when I starting working for an agency that uses them exclusively. I went through and carried literally every model we are allowed to use in .380, 9mm, .40, and .45. I am skilled in all of them, but ultimately I settled on the P226 9mm and P239 9mm. The combo compliments one another very well, and I can shoot the P239 just as well as I can shoot the P226. The P239 is unique in that it has big gun features, handles like a big gun, but retains small gun size. If you are a dedicated Sig shooter, then you have already modified your grip to keep from riding the slide release lever. The P239 is a little easier to trip due to the tendency to ride the gun higher with its short grip, and the thin grip makes it easier bring your thumbs around further. I know some guys who have trimmed up their slide release lever to keep from tripping it, but I never needed to do this.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankinCA View Post
    P239 fan here. I have two: one when they first became available and the other purchased in 2014. Shoots like a larger pistol and conceals well.
    Just curious--do you notice any subjective differences in feel or quality between the two?

Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Just curious--do you notice any subjective differences in feel or quality between the two?
    I know you didn't ask me but I use to own and early 239 and still own a fairly recent build 239. I didn't notice a lot of difference in the two. The newer one is more accurate and POI is to the sights. The older one had a higher, but unknown, round count. Accuracy was not bad just not as good as the newer one. It impacted several inches low at 15 yards. Tried different Sig 8/8 sights and it was still low. Both had SRT's installed and the triggers were very nice.

The only real difference I was able to find it the newer 239 is slightly thicker over all. It fits a little tighter in my JM Custom holster.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GreggW View Post
    I know you didn't ask me but I use to own and early 239 and still own a fairly recent build 239. I didn't notice a lot of difference in the two. The newer one is more accurate and POI is to the sights. The older one had a higher, but unknown, round count. Accuracy was not bad just not as good as the newer one. It impacted several inches low at 15 yards. Tried different Sig 8/8 sights and it was still low. Both had SRT's installed and the triggers were very nice.

The only real difference I was able to find it the newer 239 is slightly thicker over all. It fits a little tighter in my JM Custom holster.
    That's interesting that you mention the newer one being thicker. I noticed that as well. I had a 96 and I currently have a 2006 (ballpark)--the 2006 struck me as being thicker, but I figured it was just because it had been a while since I'd seen a P239. Guess not.

One thing about my early one... the frame/slide fit was super tight. So tight, that the bottom of the locking insert was peening the feed ramp every time I reassembled the gun. I never had a failure because of that, and the gun shot great. But that's why I ultimately sold it.

I found the 2006 model on a lark in a gun shop. Checked for the same issue, didn't notice it. Bought it on the spot. Overall, the slide/frame fit is looser on the 2006... but I think that's preferable to being super tight. And I'd say the newer might be slightly more accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Hi Matty, no real difference. The new one does rattle a little and my older Sig has a smoother trigger, but that's due to dry firing. Function, reliability, POA is the same.
    Last edited by FrankinCA; 03-10-2017 at 08:49 PM.

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    Welp, I found a very-good condition DAK with police agency markings for dirty cheap, so there goes the 2017 no-gun-buy thing. Gonna try and do me a back-to-DA/SA project later this year.
    So I got my P229R DAK today. I cannot recommend Recoil Gun Works highly enough (I have no relationship with them). I paid $439 for a nearly new condition P229 with Trijicon HD night sights and an absolutely awesome police slide marking.

I am posting this because I want to talk about the DAK trigger. After all my reading over the years and based on the market price of DAK pistols, I assumed it was going to be the worst trigger ever, and..it's not. At all. It feels exactly like a revolver trigger. You just have to let it cycle fully instead of trying to reset it. What am I missing?
    Last edited by LockedBreech; 03-16-2017 at 09:39 PM.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    I am posting this because I want to talk about the DAK trigger. After all my reading over the years and based on the market price of DAK pistols, I assumed it was going to be the worst trigger ever, and..it's not. At all. It feels exactly like a revolver trigger. You just have to let it cycle fully instead of trying to reset it. What am I missing?
    You're not missing anything. The DAK has very distinct advantages and disadvantages: it is a great trigger for people management (far better than the LEM IMO due to the lack of a wall at the end), one-handed shooting, and shooting a DA-type pistol at long distances. It absolutely sucks at shooting fast splits. I think this issue is somewhat mitigated in the 40/357 guns because, while the trigger is a bit slower to reset, it also spends a little more time in recoil.

I'm very happy with my P226 357 DAK, and will be picking up a 9mm version as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Factory or MecGar.
    MecGar is the magazine maker for, Sig, H&K, Beretta and may more that I can't think of.

User Tag List