Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Sig P239 - opinions and experiences?

Sig P239 - opinions and experiences?

I want to learn a little bit more about this gun. Any noted issues with reliability, accuracy, quality control, and parts/mag availability?

Quote Originally Posted by shootist26 View Post
    I want to learn a little bit more about this gun. Any noted issues with reliability, accuracy, quality control, and parts/mag availability?
    I see quite a few in used case o. Consignment. Pulled trigger on one...not great.
    Don't know much more.
    CC

Quote Originally Posted by shootist26 View Post
    Popular with ladies and smaller handed shooters, Sig adherents who don't want to go Glock or S&W, and others wanting a compact but capable fighting gun. Pretty reliable, reasonably durable, with Sigs QC caveats. A good one will generally do pretty well for quite awhile. Accurate enough. Mags and parts tend to vary by who the customer is. Generally short supply on the commercial side.

Definitely preferred in 9mm to 40SW or 357SIG.

I carried one concealed for work, for about 6 months. No reliability issues at all. Accuracy was acceptable. Plenty of holster, mag pouched, parts, magazines, and sighting system support.

Of course, when it came down to practical concealability, it didn't give me all that much advantage over a P228. It is roughly the same height, and length as the 228, though the 228 is 1.5-2 times as thick, which makes the 239 sound appealing. Certainly the 239 was comfortable due to it's skinny profile, but it wasn't any easier to conceal. Of course, the size and concealability difference between a 226 and 228 is very minimal as well, leading me to believe that a properly worn 226 is the best option of the 3.

239 = 8+1
    228 = 13+1 (can accept some/most 226 mags)
    226 = 15+1 with flush fitting mag, up to 20+1 reliably (for reloads) with Sig/MecGar mags.

Given the nominal differences in practical size/concealability, and the drastic reduction in available rounds, I have to seriously consider the pro's and con's before going with a 239 as a primary sidearm.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    239 = 8+1
    228 = 13+1 (can accept some/most 226 mags)
    226 = 15+1 with flush fitting mag, up to 20+1 reliably (for reloads) with Sig/MecGar mags.
    FWIW: The new 229 E2 guns, which take 229-1 mags, hold 15 rounds of 9mm.

Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    http://www.topgunsupply.com/mec-gar_...ne-nickel.html

15rd 228 magazines.
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

Sean and I were just discussing this. No earthly idea why Sig would bring out a 9mm 229 that takes different magazines than the 226 and 228 -- so if you have a 226, 228 and an E2 229, you need all different mags for the E2 229?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    No earthly idea why Sig would bring out a 9mm 229 that takes different magazines than the 226 and 228
    It's been a while since I dug into it, but I think it was so the magwell was common between the .40 and 9mm.

In normal times, magazine commonality is desirable but not essential to me. In these times, given the existing supply of 226 and 228/229 9mm mags, I bet Sig has a problem moving these E2 9mm pistols. If HK has a striker pistol in 2013, I sure hope it takes P30 mags!

Site Supporter
    It's been a while since I dug into it, but I think it was so the magwell was common between the .40 and 9mm.

Found the link: http://www.topgunsupply.com/sig-saue...-magazine.html
    The E2 and some of the recent P229 9mm models use a .40S&W frame which has a larger diameter magazine well. Matte phosphate finish.

User Tag List