Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: need BUIS recs for a DD MK18

need BUIS recs for a DD MK18

I am about halfway through the wait for a stamp to come back on a Daniel Defense MK18. Intended use is a general purpose HD weapon and range plinker.

I have a Aimpoint Micro that I plan to put on top of a DD Micro Mount. I also have a LaRue high mount with QD throw lever but think I'll use the DD.

I think I'm going to put a TLR-1 at the 12 o'clock position.

I need to put BUIS on it. I'm thinking flip-up/down front and rear but am option to suggestions.

What do I want and why? Go ............

I've had excellent luck with both the folding Troy folding and fixed DD BUIS. Any budgetary constraints?
    Last edited by Kyle Reese; 12-19-2012 at 03:20 PM.

There was a fairly interesting solution to the 12'oclock light and sight combo posted at Soldier Systems recently.

http://soldiersystems.net/2012/11/28...ght-prototype/

I run the DD fixed front behind a TLR1s, and have been happy with it. It is in the sight picture, of course, but you get used to it pretty quickly. I find its nice to have it there all the time, and give an additional aiming reference in unusual color/lighting conditions. Plus, the DD front is light and bombproof. If you're shooting both eyes open, you'll find the sight and light aren't really an obstruction.

If the fixed front is not for you, then folding Troys are the standard. I'll upgrade the rear to a Troy when I get the cash.
    Last edited by wilco423; 12-19-2012 at 03:30 PM.

Site Supporter
    One thing to consider is off set irons. I'm not a fan of how they look and I have no direct experience, but Kyle Defoor runs an optic and he said once it got really covered in rain drops it was hard to co-witness through the optic to the sights. In this case off set irons would work better, just something to consider.

I don't necessarily have any budgetary constraints.

I would prefer the fold down front and rear over fixed front but that pic is helpful so thanks for posting.

I kind of figured Troy was the standard but haven't researched it. Are there more than one version/setup from Troy to consider? Sorry, haven't looked yet. Yes, I'm lazy.

I've not really considered offset irons but I guess that makes sense. It's unlikely this rifle will ever see really hard use though so I think I'd prob prefer something that's "out of the way" as much as possible.

I've got a TLR1 at 12:00 with DD fixed front and rear on my SBR. I still have a good ol' ML2 rather than an T1/H1, so that may play a small role in how I perceive things.

The TLR is really close to obscuring the FSP and will actually be in your field of vision a bit. Given that it's sticking up, I don't see a great deal of value in getting the front sight flipped down out of the way.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

As Loknlod says, the TLR takes up the lower 1/5-1/4 of the T1, and the FSP brings that up to 1/3. As I said, it did take a little getting used to compared to a folding front, but I don't find it detrimental at all to speed, vision, or accuracy. If you think you might put a variable scope on it in the future, folding may be a better choice up front.

As for the Troys, you can sometimes find new take-off Noveske or BCM branded ones on the used gear boards for a little less than regular prices. But if budget isn't an issue, the regular ones are pretty widely available.

Gear Scout published a drop test of several major brands of rear BUIS and the cheap Magpul came out best or tied for 1st IIRC correctly. They are pretty good.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Having a 10.5" thats also about half way through the process, I have been wondering if there was any appreciable difference between standard Troys and the HK variant for a more close quarters home defense oriented gun. From photos the HK style would appear to give a slightly better sight / target picture. Thoughts?

Also any benefit to Tritium night sights on a carbine that will have an RDS & Light?
    Last edited by Jay; 12-19-2012 at 05:06 PM. Reason: Tritium

User Tag List