Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Winter Driving

You said you wanted the traction in the front, while sort of correct you want the tires with better traction in the rear no matter what. The end game really is four *good* snow tires. Keeping the back end of the car behind you is a huge issue with mismatched tires in the winter and rain. It allows the rear to swing around. The theory is with bald fronts and new snow rears is that you can never get going fast enough to have understeer be an issue and the rear will stop the car.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

I've generally had okay luck without winter/ice tires and no ABS. You just have to acknowledge that when it's proper slick, you're gonna be going slow.
    I don't understand what's happening, but I have a soldering iron.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    You said you wanted the traction in the front, while sort of correct you want the tires with better traction in the rear no matter what. The end game really is four *good* snow tires. Keeping the back end of the car behind you is a huge issue with mismatched tires in the winter and rain. It allows the rear to swing around. The theory is with bald fronts and new snow rears is that you can never get going fast enough to have understeer be an issue and the rear will stop the car.
    ...you're just repeating what I said again. Perhaps you should reread my post? I covered oversteer and understeer and ended the post with don't mix your tires. I'm not sure what you think you're arguing against here?

With all-seasons in snow, tread depth is critical.

There's someone at my work with a long-distance commute who buys new all-seasons every year in late fall and reports good success in winter driving.

Quote Originally Posted by Haraise View Post
    ...you're just repeating what I said again. Perhaps you should reread my post? I covered oversteer and understeer and ended the post with don't mix your tires. I'm not sure what you think you're arguing against here?
    Your very first line...

On a front wheel drive car, you want traction in the front, not the rear.
    You want the best traction in the rear. Counter-intuitive but it is preferred.

But otherwise we are almost saying the same thing.

Your very first line...

You want the best traction in the rear. Counter-intuitive but it is preferred.

But otherwise we are almost saying the same thing.
    Ah, I see what you're getting at, thank you.

Oversteer is more fun, and this might be Mr. FWD's only chance to experience it. But yeah, average driver, understeer is safer.

Bust out the McDonalds trays.

You're a wyoming guy right? I once got trapped in Rawlins when I80 was shut down. There was about 8 inches of snow on the streets. My tiny front wheel drive mazda protege handled it like a champ with new all season tires. I had chains, never had to use them.

Bust out the McDonalds trays.
    I'm confident the roads would be safer if driver's ed cars were equipped with food trays on the back the whole time.

On a front wheel drive car, you want traction in the front, not the rear.
    I'm having difficulty thinking of a FWD car fun enough to own.

User Tag List