Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: For my fellow 1911 brothers (and sisters? Tam? Any other 1911 girls here?)

That is valid in my experience. However, that's also valid for the rest of my 1911s regardless of finish -- my box-stock 1983 GM (sans collet bushing) chirps along fine.

NP3 is a dream to clean and corrosion proof to my experience -- which is awesome. Like you I don't like silver guns. Therefore you should just Cerakote it and drive on.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Discussing particular brands is thin ice for me, especially since my name is plastered right there.

PM sent.

Talking to generic self lubricating coatings: they are self lubricating because there is lubricant built into the coating. As the coating wears, you expose more lubricant. This can vary, depending on the type of coating/additive, from PTFE to nanophase boron nitride or carbid, to MoS2. If we assume it's PTFE, then as the PTFE wipes away, say as the slide reciprocates, then the coating wears a little more to expose fresh PTFE. See the problem? If you are in a desert and don't want to oil up for fear of creating a nice lapping compound, cool. But you likely wont go through an occasional mag full of ammo. If you are going to actually shoot the gun, you'll quickly wear through the 25-50um coating (say, a few thousand rounds).

So yeah, it's self lubricating, right up to the point the coating is gone.

500 rounds a year? No problem. 500 a week? You'll see a problem. You can practice with it greased, and carry it dry if you like. Or you can burnish PTFE into the coating frequently.

Or, and this is just a suggestion, you can put down an electroless nickel coating (minus the PTFE), dip it in a specific silane, then coat it with something like Cerakote. Now it's black, totally protected against corrosion, very wear resistant, and only needs regular lubrication.

Thank you, PM replied to via email. Will stop hijacking your thread, do apologize.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    I should have put a wink at the end. The statement was meant to reflect my distaste for Kimber and their obsession with the FLGR, not to question your 1911 knowledge.
    Just so you weren't accusing me of saying nice things about Kimber.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    We'll play dollies with Hilton Yam and Pat Rogers...
    Well being they are both about the size of a Barbie, that would be about right................

On a side note.......I really like NP3, and I especially like "Norton Specials" with all NP3 and then black Roguard on the slide.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    Well being they are both about the size of a Barbie, that would be about right................

On a side note.......I really like NP3, and I especially like "Norton Specials" with all NP3 and then black Roguard on the slide.
    Like this?

If I was allowed to post pictures.............yep, just like yours "Big Pimpin". You were MARS'in before MARS was cool....
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Attachment 1224

I like to keep 'em simple. The left gun has since had matching grips added to it, but a slightly smaller magwell.

Banned
    I have been exploiting recent market conditions to sell off 15 round plastic guns and buy real steel. The latest tracking number says I can pick up another 5 inch 1911 at my local shop tomorrow.

User Tag List