Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: For my fellow 1911 brothers (and sisters? Tam? Any other 1911 girls here?)

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    I have never seen a Les Baer with a FLGR. It was probably somebody from Kimber who made that statement.
    My Concept III sure had one. So have pretty much all the non-TRS guns we stocked that I can recollect off the top of my head, but that's been a couple years...

Regardless, I wouldn't confuse Les Baer with Kimber if you gave me a frickin' lobotomy. I'm more than a little insulted, actually.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post

Regardless, I wouldn't confuse Les Baer with Kimber if you gave me a frickin' lobotomy. I'm more than a little insulted, actually.
    You're such a 1911 hippster. You're so hip, you don't even carry real steel anymore.

I've never had a Baer with a FLGR. I've had a couple Wilsons with them.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Riehl View Post
    I've never had a Baer with a FLGR. I've had a couple Wilsons with them.
    The quote may have been from Bill. It's been a few years; I've slept since then.

(Have I told you how cool it is to see all you kids these days excited about 1911s? )
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

(Have I told you how cool it is to see all you kids these days excited about 1911s? )
    Seriously, if you keep saying things like this to me, my head will explode. Really.
    Last edited by BLR; 12-19-2012 at 07:39 PM.

My Concept III sure had one. So have pretty much all the non-TRS guns we stocked that I can recollect off the top of my head, but that's been a couple years...

I should have put a wink at the end. The statement was meant to reflect my distaste for Kimber and their obsession with the FLGR, not to question your 1911 knowledge.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

I'd recommend against the FCN. Especially if you are going NP3 afterward, if you can get the plater to even do it. I would expect adhesion issues to surface in attempting that.

I'd leave it as bead blasted stainless.

FCN is at its best in a wear resistance application, like a gear. Not an impact loaded application, like a gun. Glock gets away with it because their steel is a nice buttery soft alloy.
    Oh hell, against FCN? I talked to Robar and they said that there'd be no problem with it, they'd just need to get rid of the black cover with a light bead blast and I'd still get the benefits of the hardness.

It's not stainless, that's carbon. Just not coated yet. I just had my smith hold off on sending out for coating so I could hear why you'd recommend against.

I hate how NP3+ looks. And stainless. I really wish I could get something like NP3+ in a black.

Your backup irons fell off.
    And more joking after!

I said /so far/ jeez.

Cerakote over electroless nickel.

A question, what is it that you are looking for? Something black? Something that wears well? Something that cleans up easily? Do you have corrosion worries? FCN + NP3 = $500 in coatings. You can blacken EN easily. It will wear like bluing though.

Cerakote over electroless nickel.

A question, what is it that you are looking for? Something black? Something that wears well? Something that cleans up easily? Do you have corrosion worries? FCN + NP3 = $500 in coatings. You can blacken EN easily. It will wear like bluing though.
    Corrosion and self lubrication. I'm really hip on the idea of being able to run a gun mostly dry. Reliability first, durability of the gun long term. Those two. I'd like aesthetics to be in there, but then I'd go Black T or polished Ionbond. Instead I get a slightly queasy silver (ugh, silver).

I'm aware it's a lot of money, but I don't settle when I buy things. Especially long term 'investments.'

Quote Originally Posted by Haraise View Post
    Corrosion and self lubrication. I'm really hip on the idea of being able to run a gun mostly dry. Reliability first, durability of the gun long term. Those two. I'd like aesthetics to be in there, but then I'd go Black T or polished Ionbond. Instead I get a slightly queasy silver (ugh, silver).

I'm aware it's a lot of money, but I don't settle when I buy things. Especially long term 'investments.'
    Mostly dry is a bad thing. Very bad.

Mostly dry is a bad thing. Very bad.
    Self lubrication is the whole point of NP3, Robar had said it only needs one drop of lube and leave the rest dry.

User Tag List