Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: For my fellow 1911 brothers (and sisters? Tam? Any other 1911 girls here?)

Quote Originally Posted by Haraise View Post
    Sneak peak at my plastic fantastic so far:

Does this mean I can't play with Hilton Yam and Pat Rogers?
    I'm neither a wide body nor wide serrations nor square trigger guard nor FCS guy.... But that's a cool looking gun. You going to do a thread on it when it's ready?

[and yes, bill, I like yours better]
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by doctorpogo View Post
    I'm neither a wide body nor wide serrations nor square trigger guard nor FCS guy.... But that's a cool looking gun. You going to do a thread on it when it's ready?

[and yes, bill, I like yours better]
    Yeah, I'll come up with something about it.

Right now I'm planning to get it nitrided and then NP3+ coated.

Even though I really dislike the yellowish tint of NP3+ it's still the best coating I can find. If only someone came up with something better...

I had a LWC that wore np3 really well. My next refinish -- an izzy highpower -- will probably be my chance to try NP3+.
    Ignore Alien Orders

I'd recommend against the FCN. Especially if you are going NP3 afterward, if you can get the plater to even do it. I would expect adhesion issues to surface in attempting that.

I'd leave it as bead blasted stainless.

FCN is at its best in a wear resistance application, like a gear. Not an impact loaded application, like a gun. Glock gets away with it because their steel is a nice buttery soft alloy.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Haraise View Post
    Does this mean I can't play with Hilton Yam and Pat Rogers?
    Your backup irons fell off.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    I was going to say something, but commenting on women's fashion isn't something us guys typically come out ahead on.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Riehl View Post
    I was going to say something, but commenting on women's fashion isn't something us guys typically come out ahead on.
    You're very wise for a bachelor. While we men may think Victoria's Secret stuff is way cool, the other side is probably shopping more at JCP.
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

And yet the back of the slide is serrated. I think they must be pop-ups.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by doctorpogo View Post
    And yet the back of the slide is serrated. I think they must be pop-ups.
    How can you tell it's custom with no serrations on the arse end of the slide? Duh.

(I can't remember which custom make it was... maybe Les Baer? ...who said that the main reason his guns have FLGRs was because people expect an FLGR on a custom gun.)

That being said, if there was any place where reflections on the rear face of the slide might be annoying, it'd be on a dot-sighted pistol with a stainless slide, so there's that...
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

My wife is a 1911 gal...but she switched from 45 to 9mm this year.

How can you tell it's custom with no serrations on the arse end of the slide? Duh.

(I can't remember which custom make it was... maybe Les Baer? ...who said that the main reason his guns have FLGRs was because people expect an FLGR on a custom gun.)

That being said, if there was any place where reflections on the rear face of the slide might be annoying, it'd be on a dot-sighted pistol with a stainless slide, so there's that...
    I have never seen a Les Baer with a FLGR. It was probably somebody from Kimber who made that statement.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

User Tag List