Thread: Why I carry

Why I carry

I carry a gun. It's what I choose to do. I obey the law and pay taxes. I handle and store my guns safely. I take training and practice often. I spend more on ammo than some people spend on gasoline. I own "assault weapons" and they do terrify paper targets (the smarmy steel targets don't seem that impressed, alas). They have never been stolen or poked holes in anything they shouldn't.

I compete, hunt, recreate and teach others how to use firearms. My interest in firearms led me to be a reserve law enforcement officer for a couple of years. My nation trusts me enough to possess a security clearance and to command paratroopers in Iraq. I have had a concealed carry permit for a decade and in three different states.

I am not afraid my children will get my firearms. When they are not on my person they are in safes that are armored like tanks and still let me access my firearms in seconds. I teach my daughter gun safety and there is little mystery and romance to firearms in my house.

I do not fear crime. I consider it unlikely I will be a victim of violent crime during my lifetime. Though it is worth noting most calls I went to as a reserve LEO, the victims didn't think it would happen to them either. I am not afraid. I own guns because I like them and I carry them because I feel it prudent. It would be the height of irony for a firearms enthusiast to be shot down with his guns locked in a safe.

I am terrified though, of the thought that one day I will be present when someone threatens the lives of innocents and I will not have that firearm that I have trained and prepared with for so long. It will likely not be because the perpetrator took it from me or because I was lazy and didn't bring it. It will be because my government told me I couldn't have the gun in that location. If I live through it, I will have to deal with the knowledge that others may be dead, because I was a good citizen and obeyed the law. Guilt is a mother f**ker.

You see, it's not about a guaranteed outcome, I and others could die even if I have my gun, but that is not the point and never has been. We are a country that cherishes equality of opportunity, not equality of outcomes. I don't ask to be protected with absolute certainty from the goblins of our society. Society can't provide that certitude and would become monstrous if it attempted to. I only ask for the ability to try.

Well written and articulated. Thank you for sharing.

Ditto. You have expressed very well what many of us think and feel about this whole issue. Thank you.

Awesome post. Thank you.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Chemsoldier View Post
    I carry a gun. It's what I choose to do. I obey the law and pay taxes. I handle and store my guns safely. I take training and practice often. I spend more on ammo than some people spend on gasoline. I own "assault weapons" and they do terrify paper targets (the smarmy steel targets don't seem that impressed, alas). They have never been stolen or poked holes in anything they shouldn't.

I compete, hunt, recreate and teach others how to use firearms. My interest in firearms led me to be a reserve law enforcement officer for a couple of years. My nation trusts me enough to possess a security clearance and to command paratroopers in Iraq. I have had a concealed carry permit for a decade and in three different states.

I am not afraid my children will get my firearms. When they are not on my person they are in safes that are armored like tanks and still let me access my firearms in seconds. I teach my daughter gun safety and there is little mystery and romance to firearms in my house.

I do not fear crime. I consider it unlikely I will be a victim of violent crime during my lifetime. Though it is worth noting most calls I went to as a reserve LEO, the victims didn't think it would happen to them either. I am not afraid. I own guns because I like them and I carry them because I feel it prudent. It would be the height of irony for a firearms enthusiast to be shot down with his guns locked in a safe.

I am terrified though, of the thought that one day I will be present when someone threatens the lives of innocents and I will not have that firearm that I have trained and prepared with for so long. It will likely not be because the perpetrator took it from me or because I was lazy and didn't bring it. It will be because my government told me I couldn't have the gun in that location. If I live through it, I will have to deal with the knowledge that others may be dead, because I was a good citizen and obeyed the law. Guilt is a mother f**ker.

You see, it's not about a guaranteed outcome, I and others could die even if I have my gun, but that is not the point and never has been. We are a country that cherishes equality of opportunity, not equality of outcomes. I don't ask to be protected with absolute certainty from the goblins of our society. Society can't provide that certitude and would become monstrous if it attempted to. I only ask for the ability to try.

Very well said. I couldn't agree more. Thanks for being a fellow Sheepdog. We all need to work together to keep the Wolves at bay.
    Bob
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

Very well said, and a lot of thoughts that I've struggled to make others understand myself, especially the last two paragraphs. Great job!

User Tag List