View Poll Results: Are strobing lights effective for defensive purposes?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I firmly believe in and use strobing lights.

15 41.67%
  • No, I firmly believe that strobing lights are a gimmick or non-effective.

5 13.89%
  • I don't have a definitive opinion but am open minded would like to learn more.

16 44.44%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: To strobe or not to strobe?

I want simple, predictable behavior in a form factor that works well when you're trying to use the light with a handgun.
    I concur.

After the Gladius, which has switching developed by a guy who REALLY knew what he was doing, every other flashlight with a strobe seems to be trying to jump on the "me too" band wagon, with poor results.

Having to tap your switch in the correct Morse code while rubbing your belly at the same time to get the light to switch functions is unsat, just doesn't work in real light.

We are diminished
    Unlike TC, I have my flashlight in my hand far more often than my pistol. I normally hold it pretty much any time I'm out in low light: walking to the car, walking the dog, etc. As such, the odds that I'll pop someone with the light are a million times higher than with the pistol. And having strobed a number of unsuspecting folks over the years, the short term immediate effect is something I find valuable.

That's precisely why I carry a light that strobes as its default (one touch) function. If I need solid light, then I'm not likely in an immediate threat situation and I can perform whatever manipulation is necessary to put my light in that mode. With the 4Sevens lights, that means twisting the bezel.

I do that quite a bit as well off duty.

I use an E2e with a TNVC LED upgrade, so no real strobe, but you can still get the effect if you know how.

I have noticed that in after dark MUCs a bright light to the face re-sets damn near everyones' OODA loop, and makes them stop thinking stupid thoughts and just go away.

I EDCed a Fenix TK-11(non-strobe) for years but after a SouthNarc AMIS class, where I got to experience the effects of both types inside and outside, I picked up a 4Sevens Quark Tactical.

I've shot 4 IDPA-ish night matches with it and had no problems hitting in the dark on strobe. It's a lot easier than trying to shake a non-strobing light to get the strobe effect.

I'm sold on the strobe.

Gringop

I´m sold to strobe, since attending a 55 hours low light class with Ken Good in 2007. I´ve used the Gladius and Fenix flashlight´s successful in various situations.
    Frank B
    "You are not paid for what you do, you are paid for what you may have to do, and when that time comes, you will be highly underpaid."

I find the strobe has a very noticable negative effect on my shooting. It is more disorentating having it shone in my face but I don't want to sacrifice my shooting ability for something like that.
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

I thought it was a gimmick when I first saw it. Then I did some force on force in low light where I got to be on the receiving end of it. Changed my mind real fast.

why Surefire refuses to market a handheld light (and not that abomination brick) with this kind of function is beyond me.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    That's precisely why I carry a handheld flashlight that allows me to have it in "strobe" mode as the default, one-press function. If the light needs some specific combination of loving words and tender caresses to get it to strobe, my guess is that my focus might not be adequate when someone is trying to brain me with an electric hockey stick.
    ...and to think today you just have fangs

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by Slavex View Post
    why Surefire refuses to market a handheld light (and not that abomination brick) with this kind of function is beyond me.
    Because for years they had patent issues getting a strobe, and as a result for years their sales and training people constantly argued that strobe was teh ghey. Now that they could do it, their own institutional inertia keeps them from offering it in a meaningful manner.

BTDT. When I was at SIG and the P250 was first on the drawing board, the question arose whether we should make it hammer-fired or striker-fired. All of us (LE division) voted to keep it hammer-fired. Why? Because we'd been telling people for years that hammers were better than strikers. Between drinking our own bathwater and not wanting to look stupid to customers when we reversed ourselves, we blew the chance to produce something that might have actually been desirable in the market.

I also feel strobes have limited use in some limited situations relating to handheld lights.

As Chuck said earlier, I have found that a quick, surprise flash with a quality handheld light to the face of anyone is disorienting enough to make them think twice.

For me, they make threat identification more difficult and they are disorienting to me especially when in confined spaces.

I think a strobe feature on a weapon mounted light is a no-go. Weaponlights are for identifying threats and non-threats....not for disco.

User Tag List