Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Revolver specific training?

I have to agree with the earlier posts about how a revolver is not as easily manipulated in a fluid fashion as a semi-auto pistol, especially when you're dealing with things like reloads. I've got a ton of data on my revolver reloads for a speedloader gun vs. reloading a semi-automatic pistol.

For example, from an open ICORE Classic rig with my 686 and Comp-IIIs, a blazing fast reload is anything under 2.5 seconds. I have once or twice gotten under 2 seconds with a revo reload, and those were those moments when you finish the reload and think to yourself "holy shit that was fast".

Compare that to reloading a 1911 without a magwell, where a "slow" reload from concealment is 2.5 seconds, and if I'm not under 2 seconds consistently on my reloads I'm disappointed with my performance. Change that to a double stack gun or a 1911 with a large magwell and I'm upset if I'm not consistently around 1.75/1.8 on my reloads.

The point I think i'm getting around to is that shooting a revolver makes you a stud.

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    I have to agree with the earlier posts about how a revolver is not as easily manipulated in a fluid fashion as a semi-auto pistol, especially when you're dealing with things like reloads. I've got a ton of data on my revolver reloads for a speedloader gun vs. reloading a semi-automatic pistol.

For example, from an open ICORE Classic rig with my 686 and Comp-IIIs, a blazing fast reload is anything under 2.5 seconds. I have once or twice gotten under 2 seconds with a revo reload, and those were those moments when you finish the reload and think to yourself "holy shit that was fast".

Compare that to reloading a 1911 without a magwell, where a "slow" reload from concealment is 2.5 seconds, and if I'm not under 2 seconds consistently on my reloads I'm disappointed with my performance. Change that to a double stack gun or a 1911 with a large magwell and I'm upset if I'm not consistently around 1.75/1.8 on my reloads.

The point I think i'm getting around to is that shooting a revolver makes you a stud.
    This might be a perception thing rather than a zen thing but, it seems to me that when I was blazingly fast on reloads, according to the timer that everything seemed to slow down. I don't spend enough time on the BE forums to really understand the zen concept, so is it just perception or something different?

Wheeler
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Brian talks a lot about "seeing what you need to see"; as I've practiced reloads and other mechanical aspects of shooting, I've begun to develop a sense for what "feels" fast. Back when I started shooting, I thought stuff "felt" fast when I did everything really quickly, regardless of how smooth things happened. That wasn't fast, that just me waving my arms in a hurry and getting lucky sometimes.

Now, something that "feels" fast will usually feel that way because I have very little wasted motion, the task happens without me thinking "it's time to do task x" and when the task is completed I'm almost surprised that it's all over.

Using reloads as an example again, I was practicing for an IDPA match with my Sig P250 doing 1-r-2 drills from the head box of the the PT target to the 8 inch circle. I had a 1.68 run from concealment that had all of the attributes listed above - instead of thinking "I'm at slidelock time to reload" I just reloaded the gun and fired the next two shots without ever actually thinking about reloading the gun. That kind of stuff feels fast.

I can personally attest to the quality and breadth of knowledge of Tom Givens, of Rangemaster (Memphis TN) with revolver skills. My wife and I took a class from him last Summer, and it was excellent. Highly recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Brian talks a lot about "seeing what you need to see"; as I've practiced reloads and other mechanical aspects of shooting, I've begun to develop a sense for what "feels" fast. Back when I started shooting, I thought stuff "felt" fast when I did everything really quickly, regardless of how smooth things happened. That wasn't fast, that just me waving my arms in a hurry and getting lucky sometimes.

Now, something that "feels" fast will usually feel that way because I have very little wasted motion, the task happens without me thinking "it's time to do task x" and when the task is completed I'm almost surprised that it's all over.

Using reloads as an example again, I was practicing for an IDPA match with my Sig P250 doing 1-r-2 drills from the head box of the the PT target to the 8 inch circle. I had a 1.68 run from concealment that had all of the attributes listed above - instead of thinking "I'm at slidelock time to reload" I just reloaded the gun and fired the next two shots without ever actually thinking about reloading the gun. That kind of stuff feels fast.
    That makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the feedback.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

User Tag List