Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ed Brown 1911's

Ed Brown 1911's

I am a 1911 noob. I have said things on this forum about the 1911 out of preconceived notion & not actual experience. After shooting one exclusively for the last month, I now know I was wrong about many things. That being said, I wanna move into the semi-custom realm. Specifically I was looking at the EB Special Forces. Anybody have any info or experience on these guns?

Quote Originally Posted by iGlock View Post
    I am a 1911 noob. I have said things on this forum about the 1911 out of preconceived notion & not actual experience. After shooting one exclusively for the last month, I now know I was wrong about many things. That being said, I wanna move into the semi-custom realm. Specifically I was looking at the EB Special Forces. Anybody have any info or experience on these guns?
    I have a Kobra 5" and a Kobra Carry. I like them both, only issue I have had is the rear sight drifted out of place on the Kobra once. Neither have been through a higher round count class as yet, neither are my EDC, but I do love them.

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 1459
Size:  83.9 KB

My experience handling Ed Browns and what I've read of them both agree... that they don't really feel that special.

I'd be looking at Springfield Custom Shop in that price range.

Several years ago SWAT magazine did an review article on Ed Brown 1911. Their gun came with a broken disconnector, right out of box. While any manufacturer can produce a lemon, that particular fact suggested lack of any reasonable QC or post-assembly live fire. From that point on, I lost any interest in EB pistols.

Executive Target
    Did a 10 round group hand held a few years ago 2 4/16" indoors.
    I did not like the trigger pull that came with it and had a trigger job done that is around 2 pounds which helps as far as being accurate with it.

My Ed Brown Jeff Cooper is aslo easy to get good groups with at 25 & 50 yards
    Both have been reliable.

At one point or another, I've owned half a dozen Browns. I've got as many on order right now.

The SF has a rather nice frontstrap treatment too, especially for CC use. My pro abrades shirts and jackets w/ little hesitation.

A suggestion - Buy a Molon Labe copy. Those were nice guns.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Of the big three... wait, I keep forgetting that Nighthawk makes it four now... semicustom shops, Ed Brown has the best fit and finish in my experience. While I've handled many and fired quite a few of them, none were for more than a box or so of ammunition, so I do not have a considered opinion as to their durability or reliability. However the couple people I know who have put miles on them at gun school and/or in competition speak highly of them.

The only problem I have with the "Special Forces" model is that the name is so ghey that they might as well have named it the "Armchair Commando" and been done with it.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

I own a railed SF with ~15k through it without issue. Solid gun.
    C Class shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Of the big three... wait, I keep forgetting that Nighthawk makes it four now... semicustom shops, Ed Brown has the best fit and finish in my experience. While I've handled many and fired quite a few of them, none were for more than a box or so of ammunition, so I do not have a considered opinion as to their durability or reliability. However the couple people I know who have put miles on them at gun school and/or in competition speak highly of them.

The only problem I have with the "Special Forces" model is that the name is so ghey that they might as well have named it the "Armchair Commando" and been done with it.
    Yes, I agree that the name is certainly lacking. Even just removing the "Forces" & calling it the Ed Brown Special would have been lightyears less ghey.

Quote Originally Posted by iGlock View Post
    Yes, I agree that the name is certainly lacking. Even just removing the "Forces" & calling it the Ed Brown Special would have been lightyears less ghey.
    eh. Delete the markings. No more problem.

User Tag List