Thread: Crimson Trace Rail Master

Crimson Trace Rail Master

GJM's recent post on their green lasers got me looking at their website. I see the LaserGuard as lowering my grip and LaserGrips (for the Glock, for example) as increasing trigger reach; neither of those things seem good. Then I saw the rail guard:
    http://www.crimsontrace.com/products...lasers/01-3460

I searched for references on the forum but didn't find much.

Has anyone tried these out? How are they activated? What were your thoughts compared to other stuff you've looked at?

I'm interested too............

I'm using a LightGuard on a G17 appendix, and it has been working well for me. I don't notice the subtle grip change under the trigger guard, but there is a chance a Light "ND" because of the grip activation.

Many months ago iirc, someone in the know seemed to think the Rail Master didn't work all that well as far as activation goes.

I had an early run Rail Master that would turn itself on and off under recoil. Kind of not awesome. I have a more recent production model that works as advertised. For 200 bucks, it's worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    I had an early run Rail Master that would turn itself on and off under recoil. Kind of not awesome. I have a more recent production model that works as advertised. For 200 bucks, it's worth it.
    Caleb, good to know. Can you explain the activation? Do you just touch the tab on the light, or do you have to click on something?

Is there a good video available?

The laser (which I had) is activated by pressing the paddles, which are on either side of the laser body. It's kind of a doddle if you're used to the instinctive activation you get with a regular CTC.

A friend of mine just passed me his to try out. My initial impressions are positive, but I'm not too crazy about the activation toggle - it doesn't strike me as something that will be easy to turn on during the draw. I'd like to see Crimson Trace offer this with a Surefire DG style activation switch ala the Laserguard/Lightguard (but of course, it wouldn't be 'Universal' then, would it?). Will need some range time to develop a more informed opinion.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

I also have an early model that turns its self on under recoil, but it does not turn its self off under recoil so I guess that is good.

Maybe I should see about a replacement before it does.

I have a newer model and I don't have any problem with accidental activation. I agree with an earlier post the paddles are in the wrong place. They should have been on top of the unit instead of the bottom. Also it is a 2 piece affair and the laser can mount anywhere (fore to aft) on the rail interface unit.
    Not a big deal except that it needs to mount exactly in the same place every time for holster retention. Whats the big deal? Well if you are going to have a holster made you had better get pics from the maker exactly how it was mounted so you can replicate it on your pistol. And then if you want a holster made by another maker then what? In addition I had a holster made for the Railmaster mounted on a P30 and the holster maker did not have a rail master. I had to send him mine. He said it was a royal PITA. This is a guy who makes a LOT of rail mounted light/laser combo holsters.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    I'd like to see Crimson Trace offer this with a Surefire DG style activation switch ala the Laserguard/Lightguard (but of course, it wouldn't be 'Universal' then, would it?).
    They already do: It's called the "LaserGuard" or "LightGuard".

I'm not sold on the activation method. As far as I'm concerned, CTC has been one of the consistently un-suckiest accessory manufacturers in the firearms business; I've never had a product from them that wasn't plastic-and-circuitry awesome; but the Railmaster stuff is... suboptimal. Oh well, not even Hank Aaron got them all over the fence...
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Actually, I hadn't been very impressed with the Laserguard offerings, as there were many popular pistols that were not supported. However, the newly introduced green laser LG-452 is intriguing.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

User Tag List