Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: When Kalifornians fall....and crawl to Texas...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I'm confused with the complaining about all the Californians and Yankees moving to Texas.

Aren't these people moving to Texas because they like Texas and the politics? So what's the problem?
    Many folks are familiar with ex-Californians changing the political climates in places like CO, WA and OR. And to a noticeable extent MT now. People who migrate to "better" places, but decide that their new home needs to change to be more like their old home and when enough of them arrive the vote turns left (or farther left in the case of WA and OR).

That's among the reasons I left NC 10 years ago. 1980's NC was awesome, by 2000 it had changed. It was hard to find a Country music radio station on the dial any more. Too many NY Yankees hats, not enough Wrangler shirts. Here in DFW we're down to 2 or 3 Country stations, depending on the reception where you live. I take that as a BAAAAD sign. When the Country music is gone, it's time to move on.

BUT...... It seems for now that the folks I'm meeting from CA are here for the right reasons. Texas has a "reputation". Californians of the more liberal mindset seem to be avoiding us. I haven't run into many hard-lefties. The few I've run into have been forced to reconsider or be marginalized. Lots more Midwest folks moving here than West Coasters. We've got Iowans by the trainload. We've got one Sprouts supermarket close enough to be useful, but I couldn't tell you where the nearest Whole Foods is, I assume there's some nearby. Hopefully that luck holds until I retire.

ETA: I looked it up. 18 miles to the nearest Whole Foods. I'm still safe.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by Shenaniguns View Post
    My wife is getting even more excited about moving down there, our lease is up in October and she's applying for jobs already.
    If she (or anyone else in this thread looking at the DFW area) is looking for something in the mortgage loan processing/underwriting sector, shoot me a PM when yall (Texas word, learn it) are ready. My wife is a processor for a fairly large company near the DFW airport and they are constantly hiring.

Quote Originally Posted by pr1042 View Post
    If she (or anyone else in this thread looking at the DFW area) is looking for something in the mortgage loan processing/underwriting sector, shoot me a PM when yall (Texas word, learn it) are ready. My wife is a processor for a fairly large company near the DFW airport and they are constantly hiring.
    Much obliged. Right now she's looking at similar Government Jobs to what she is doing now.

Quote Originally Posted by IRISH View Post
    I think he'd love chasing down feral hogs! Do you need a license for them or is it just open season? Are the wild ones good for eating?
    All you need is ammo or a sharp knife. I'm not real big on chasing them with spears, I'm way too old for that Lord of the Flies shit. There are sum doods that use Bowie knives. But I like to eat bacon, not become bacon. No license is needed, just landowner permission.

And the wild ones are very good eating. There were some threads on M4C with pics, I think. Chop them into big roasts, put them on the smoker. Or grind them into sausage and smoke them. Tasty vittles.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post

I'm within walking distance of a Whole Foods. But Cabela's is even closer. Life has all sorts of checks and balances.

And I honestly think you are right about the type of folks that have moved here from New York and California. I have tons of "immigrant" friends. One of my minions at work is an Italian guy from Brooklyn. He can make cannoli that will make you cry. He also has cowboy boots now.

But it is hysterically funny to listen to him say "Howdy, youse guys."

Quote Originally Posted by phil_in_cs View Post
    Once Texas is blue the GOP can kiss it good bye unless they can figure out how to reach those Hispanics. Nominating patricians from Massachusetts isn't going to cut it.
    This, and it's not just the illegals and their offspring. The Democrats have most Hispanics convinced that they have no choice but to be Democrats, and many just blindly follow along. The funny thing is that most of the Hispanics I know fall more on the conservative side- family values, fiscal responsibility, hard work, etc. The GOP has just spectacularly failed to reach them.
    Case in point : my father-in-law brought his family here (illegally, now a resident alien) 40 years ago. When all those immigration rallies were going on several years ago he was interviewed by a family friend who's a writer for Texas Monthly. When asked if he was going to the rally in Austin that Monday, he looked at the writer like he was speaking in tongues: "No, I have work, I don't have time for that." He has zero regard for those that want a free ride, and at nearly 80 years old can still work men half his age into the ground.

If I wasn't living in Virginia now, Texas would be next on the list. I really enjoyed my time there. Great state and great people.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Many folks are familiar with ex-Californians changing the political climates in places like CO, WA and OR. And to a noticeable extent MT now. People who migrate to "better" places, but decide that their new home needs to change to be more like their old home and when enough of them arrive the vote turns left (or farther left in the case of WA and OR).

That's among the reasons I left NC 10 years ago. 1980's NC was awesome, by 2000 it had changed. It was hard to find a Country music radio station on the dial any more. Too many NY Yankees hats, not enough Wrangler shirts. Here in DFW we're down to 2 or 3 Country stations, depending on the reception where you live. I take that as a BAAAAD sign. When the Country music is gone, it's time to move on.

BUT...... It seems for now that the folks I'm meeting from CA are here for the right reasons. Texas has a "reputation". Californians of the more liberal mindset seem to be avoiding us. I haven't run into many hard-lefties. The few I've run into have been forced to reconsider or be marginalized. Lots more Midwest folks moving here than West Coasters. We've got Iowans by the trainload. We've got one Sprouts supermarket close enough to be useful, but I couldn't tell you where the nearest Whole Foods is, I assume there's some nearby. Hopefully that luck holds until I retire.

There's light years of difference between someone that thinks "my home state is all fouled up; the liberals have voted us into virtual slavery to the state. I will move to a land where I can be free" and someone that thinks "Dang, my company bellied up. I hear there's jobs in Texas, I hope I can put up with all the yahoos."

In the current economy, we're getting a lot of the second group.

Site Supporter

Prepping at the State Level

Texas State Preppers..
    http://texasgopvote.com/issues/stop-...s-self-0050411
    State Rep. James White has proposed a bill that will require the leaders of Texas to start crunching the numbers and figure out what Texas would look like if it had to be self sufficient... limited or no federal support....
    http://www.legis.state.tx.us/tlodocs...l/HB00568I.htm
    AN ACT
    relating to the creation of a select committee to evaluate the
    effects of reduction in or elimination of federal funding on the
    state budget due to federal fiscal policy.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Hehe, looks like California's governor is tired of getting picked on by Rick Perry.
    http://radio.woai.com/cc-common/news...ticle=10715726
    Nicely illustrates the difference in philosophy between the two states. He thinks our debt is too low and we have too many people making low wages, we counter with the fact that a dollar goes a lot farther here than in California since costs are so much lower.

User Tag List