Page 30 of 45 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Thread: The shootings of Raylan Givens

Quote Originally Posted by Len McM View Post
    Raylan won't leave Harlan alive.
    That's what I'm expecting.

Butters, the d*** shooter Byron's Avatar
    In keeping with the "Never Leave Harlan Alive" finale each season, I'll be a bit annoyed if Raylan does indeed leave Harlan alive. Between that song and the amount of foreshadowing they've been inserting this season, it will feel like a really clumsy misdirect if he skips off to Winona with a smile on his face.
    (Kind of like how I was annoyed with the fake foreshadowing they would often insert into Breaking Bad, even though I loved that show too... e.g. the plane explosion over the pool)

Not saying we have to see him die (although some great shows have ended that way)... he could simply choose to stay in Harlan. Winona could decide to move back and they could set their roots again. They die of old age in Harlan: hence never leaving it alive.

A big attitude from Raylan this season (especially towards the criminals who don't interest him as much) has been, "Do whatever you want. I'll be gone soon. Just need to finish this one thing and then you'll all be free of me." That attitude has at least partially increased the chaos (though to what degree is debatable). I think it would be fitting if he ended up staying. Shit sandwiches seem to follow him wherever he goes: he might as well eat the familiar one that he partially prepared.

Not sure how much credence to give to the song lyrics, but the second-to-last verse is about the family finally moving away... but then falling on hard times. While the wife lives in a new home, away from Harlan, the husband must go back to make money and send it to her. He never makes it back to her.

So is Winona the woman who broke free, only to later hear that her man won't make it back to her? Or is that part of the song completely irrelevant given they've never played more than the early lines?
    "If you run into an a**hole in the morning, you ran into an a**hole. If you run into a**holes all day, you're the a**hole." - Raylan Givens

I've sorta got that feeling that he'll die, too, possibly protecting Loretta. (Or maybe Loretta caps Boone herself, I'd love to see that). I hope not.
    Maybe he'll be severely wounded, enough so that he has to retire, and ride off into the sunset with Winona and the baby.

Site Supporter
    Call me a sap, but I would like to see Raylan, Boyd and Ava all make it out alive. Real life is crappy enough. I'm a fan of happy endings in my fantasy world.

To me, Boone screams redshirt. I would expect him to get capped with the hat playing a part.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

The Never Leave Harlan Alive song (Brad Paisley version's my favorite) is probably less of a basis for the plot, ha, and more a tune that kind of captures the strong, often dark pull that some hometowns seem to have.

BUT to follow this line of college literature essay thinking, the song does have that one ray of hope, with Granny sellin' out cheap and moving out west of Pineville, dancing jigs and whatnot.

Otherwise the song remains pretty somber.

Raylan getting killed, that's a hard pill to swallow. Even if it kind of makes sense. But I definitely don't see him taking the money, no way, that's not his character. If anyone gets away with it, it'd probably be Ava. The one out of all the main characters that has suffered the most from the men surrounding her (though she's definitely flawed and has brought much of it on herself). In this show, almost all actions catch up to the characters and "justification" and getting what one deserves seems to be one of the stronger themes.

If Raylan were to get killed, I think Boon would be involved. Boon hasn't really done much but loom and intimidate, and generally creep everyone out, but it seems clear that he is an expert marksman, and very possibly better than Raylan. I'm thinking of the possible foreshadowing scene in the Pizza Parlor where it looks like gun dual is about to go down. "Get outta my way, I didn't come here to talk about hats." Was pretty intense (though I really wanna see that guy drop dead).

Then there's Loretta, who I think is going to play a part in the outcome, though no idea what.

But all that said, no idea what's going to happen and I really don't have any strong predictions. Whatever it is though, I'm pretty confident the writers can make it, justified, nyuck nyuck.

Site Supporter
    "Raylan Givens?"

"I don't suppose you'd believe me if I told you 'no'?"

I'm chomping at the bit waiting for tomorrow...

It could be that whoever does the music for the show thought "You'll Never Leave Harlan..." sounded cool and that it has no connection beyond that.

I'd say the odds are pretty good that Boon and Boyd get schwacked.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

I think Raylan is going to take out Boon, but he'll get injured. As he drives away, Boyd will keep calling, "Raylan!! Raylan!!"
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Site Supporter
    Loretta kills Boone, maybe Markham
    Boyd kills Eva
    Raylan kills Boyd
    Art kills Raylan and leaves town with the money.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

User Tag List