Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The "adventure race" craze

Thanks for the links and info. I'm looking forward to the GoRuck Challenge, it's very motivating. I've been training and actually hurt myself from overtraining during a 2mi hike with 75# on my back - I don't think the barefoot shoes I like so much are very good with that kind of load. Bought myself some cheap but stiff-ankled hiking boots today, if that makes a real difference I may invest in some good Danners or etc.

Anyway, I can see the ToughMudders and similar getting boring after a few times... but I don't think I'm ever going to be one of those die-hard ultra extreme dudes. I'd love to do the Pike's Peak Half Marathon, just the uphill portion of the full thing, even though I know there'll be hell to pay afterwards with my knees. After the GRC I'll see what's offered and try a few of these out. If all it does is motivate me to train, it'll be money well spent.

ETA: well, that didn't last long. The cheap boots definitely helped my ankle.....but after about 8 hours of wear, they already broke an eyelet as I cinched it down. I've just ordered some Danners, and luckily REI has a good return policy.
    Last edited by MDS; 12-29-2012 at 04:25 AM.
    The answer, it seems to me, is wrath. The mind cannot foresee its own advance. --FA Hayek Specialization is for insects.

Quote Originally Posted by mariodsantana View Post
    Thanks for the links and info. I'm looking forward to the GoRuck Challenge, it's very motivating. I've been training and actually hurt myself from overtraining during a 2mi hike with 75# on my back - I don't think the barefoot shoes I like so much are very good with that kind of load. Bought myself some cheap but stiff-ankled hiking boots today, if that makes a real difference I may invest in some good Danners or etc.

Anyway, I can see the ToughMudders and similar getting boring after a few times... but I don't think I'm ever going to be one of those die-hard ultra extreme dudes. I'd love to do the Pike's Peak Half Marathon, just the uphill portion of the full thing, even though I know there'll be hell to pay afterwards with my knees. After the GRC I'll see what's offered and try a few of these out. If all it does is motivate me to train, it'll be money well spent.

ETA: well, that didn't last long. The cheap boots definitely helped my ankle.....but after about 8 hours of wear, they already broke an eyelet as I cinched it down. I've just ordered some Danners, and luckily REI has a good return policy.
    Good idea on the Danners, take care of your feet and they'll take care of you. It's amazing what a good pair of boots will do

Nike makes a good pair of boots, I have put dozens of ruck miles in them. They weigh like 14oz and have full comfort and support. The tough mudder I did was so much fun. I dont think i stopped smiling or laughing the whole 12 miles.

A different sort of "adventure" race...RAAM.
    Read Dex Tooke's book, Unfinished Business for a look at what RAAM is like from the inside.

Read up on running make sure your form is good. Follow the 10% rule ( don't increase distance or intensity by more than 10%, or risk injury )

Get shoes setup for you( running stores watch you run on treadmill ), and replace your shoes often

Good tips! For this GoRuck Challenge in a few days, the problem had been getting used to the weighted ruck. I recently went 4mi in an hour with a 45lb pack, and that taught me a whole new set of things about my footwear!
    The answer, it seems to me, is wrath. The mind cannot foresee its own advance. --FA Hayek Specialization is for insects.

Quote Originally Posted by mariodsantana View Post
    Good tips! For this GoRuck Challenge in a few days, the problem had been getting used to the weighted ruck. I recently went 4mi in an hour with a 45lb pack, and that taught me a whole new set of things about my footwear!
    Speaking from experience here.....

It's kinda just going to suck to a certain degree, no matter what you do. Especially when you train to do better than yesterday, and are pushing yourself. You won't really feel or appreciate the gains until you stop, get fat and out of shape, and get completely mind-f'd when you realize how in shape you actually use to be.

Until that day, every ruck run is going to suck.

As it should.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Until that day, every ruck run is going to suck.

As it should.
    Until that day....good livin'!

Did the GoRuck Challenge yesterday. 14 hours from 0100 to 1500, 21.5 miles all over Boca Raton, 45 pound ruck never touching the ground, 16 people carrying each other in more ways than one, along with whatever random log-shaped Turd the cadre took a liking to. Salt, water, sand, sewage. Cold and windy until dawn, blazing sun soon after. Exercises devised by demons to torment the damned. Until finally the easy part was over and the real pain began... I think a Tough Mudder now would be cake.

Sucky as it was at the time, and proud as I am of myself and the rest of the finishers, this Challenge gave me a whole new level of appreciation for you specops guys. This thing can only be an appetizer - nay, a single shrimp in the cocktail - compared to what it takes to get through some of your schools.... And then the hard part starts. Thanks again to all of you. Damn few, indeed!

Thought I would raise this thread from the dead. Just finished a tough mudder race. For me it was not easy. 12 miles where I was shocked cut, bruised, soaked, frozen, and toward the end nearly hypothermic. They give you a beer at the end and I could barely hold the thing I was shaking so hard, more ended up on the ground than in me. All in all though it was fun, and a great challenge to tackle with friends. It took place at peacemaker national training center which is beautiful and it was funny to see my coworkers gawk at the different ranges. I would definitely recommend it (although perhaps in a warmer month) if you enjoy a challenge and enjoy running.
    Evil requires the sanction of the victim. - Ayn Rand

User Tag List