Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The "adventure race" craze

The "adventure race" craze

So I've been interested in these adventure races for some time - Tough Mudder, Spartan Race, etc. They seem like a much more fun excuse to get in shape than a straight 5K or 10K race...plus I'm thinking my knees would get a break since it's not just about pounding pavement the whole time. I finally signed up for one from the GoRuck people: the GoRuck Challenge.

Wondering what you all think about these events in general, and the GoRuck Challenge in particular...?
    The answer, it seems to me, is wrath. The mind cannot foresee its own advance. --FA Hayek Specialization is for insects.

Tom Fineis has done one for sure and shadowed for photos on another and spoke highly of it. The GoRuck seems to be the one that stands above the rest in that it is not a Facebook integrated walk with mud. The whole craze seems to be the evolution of mixing social media with everything. Provide a chance to have people get their picture taken, take a slightly more than nominal fee, sell a shirt, and boom! Profit.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Site Supporter
    The only "adventure race" I've done is the Megatransect. It's less adventure and more race, so I can't comment on how the more mud-based races work. I'm thinking of trying Go Ruck next year as well.

Personally I have mixed feelings about them. I've been to a few and it seems like everyone is just there to get Facebook worthy pics. I guess it's good that it motivates people to get off the couch and PT a little. Being former military, I do find it funny that people are paying other people lots of money to get surf tortured, beatdown, and dirty.

Quote Originally Posted by secondstoryguy View Post
    Personally I have mixed feelings about them. I've been to a few and it seems like everyone is just there to get Facebook worthy pics. I guess it's good that it motivates people to get off the couch and PT a little. Being former military, I do find it funny that people are paying other people lots of money to get surf tortured, beatdown, and dirty.
    I think part of it is the society's adulation of these rugged aspects of some mil training that attracts folks; attracts them for different reasons.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    I think part of it is the society's adulation of these rugged aspects of some mil training that attracts folks; attracts them for different reasons.
    That's exactly what's behind the ads for "high-intensity" carbine classes you see in gun rags, featuring a bunch of pudgy IT guys doing Australian peels in the rain with some guy yelling at them. I hear there's an organization that will actually PAY people to do that, rather than charge them, but they require signing a contract and they make people get goofy haircuts and get in shape.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

My cousin just ran a marathon with me and he's done a couple Tough Mudders. He's just looking for a challenge. I'd like to do one too, although I did some kind of similar stuff during basic.
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock,
    who trains my hands for war,
    my fingers for battle.
    -Psalm 144:1

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    That's exactly what's behind the ads for "high-intensity" carbine classes you see in gun rags, featuring a bunch of pudgy IT guys doing Australian peels in the rain with some guy yelling at them. I hear there's an organization that will actually PAY people to do that, rather than charge them, but they require signing a contract and they make people get goofy haircuts and get in shape.
    Hell, if the option was just "go through boot camp and training for free" I would have signed up years ago It's the "live where we tell you and do what we tell you for 8 years" that always got me.

Quote Originally Posted by secondstoryguy View Post
    Some are pretty serious. Tough mudder (I believe) is typically very difficult.

Run Amuck is on the other end of the spectrum.

We have something called Color Run around here. Best I can tell it's run amuck but with water soluble paint. Ghey.
    If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever. -George Orwell

I was under-whelmed by the Tough Mudder.
    C Class shooter.

User Tag List