As my range time has become more limited these days, I strive to make every range trip count and maximize the takeaways from each session. I've begun compiling a list of objectives for the day and placing them on the top of a page, then writing out a practice plan of what drills I'm going to run, how many times each and a few key points regarding each one. I place this in a single sheet protector and stick it in my waistband at 6' o clock. It's with me for the whole session and I can make notes on it in china marker. It is most decidedly low-tech, but it works for me.

When I get home, I add the times from each drill to my "performance tracking" spreadsheet and I tally up the round count based on the number of rounds fired in each drill times the number of iterations and add that to my "maintenance and round count" spreadsheet. I note any malfunctions at the appropriate place within the drill I'm doing, and make a notation of the mag that was in the gun when the malfunction occurred. I then try to jot down 3-4 sentences about my session in the "Training Journal" word document contained in the same folder. A mini-AAR, if you will, with things to sustain, things to improve and things to work on during my next dry fire and live fire sessions.