Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I need recs for an iPhone 4 case

I need recs for an iPhone 4 case

I have used the Otterbox Defender series in the past with this phone but would like to avoid it, if possible. The Defender saved me once when I spilled an entire travel mug of coffee on my brand new phone on the range. However, this case is really bulky, the silicone skin is constantly picking up link & dirt & hair, and I NEVER used the belt clip. The Defeneder in it's plastic & silicon was too bulky to easily slide into a front or back pants pocket.

Next, I used a Magpul case. I know it isn't much protection other than from drops but that's what I'm most worried about anyway. The issue I had with the Magpul is the little tiny piece right at the SILENT button was constantly flexing and moving my phone to silent/vibrate without my knowledge. I missed calls constantly. It got so bad I clipped that piece off. It stopped going to vibrate unintentionally but eventually (after a few months) got pretty loose on that corner. I threw the Magpul away the other day.

Is there something new/different/cool out there I should look at? I have to have something. This phone is too slippery without a case of some sort. Again, I am mostly concerned with drop protection. I drop my phone at least once per week. Other than general clumsiness I don't operate in extreme environments.

Thanks in advance.

Have you tried the Otterbox Commuter series? I used that for my Nokia 5800 for awhile and liked it. It'll still be relatively bulky, but the exposed rubbery bits are must less; instead, it's most a plastic shell on the outside (with the rubber part on the inside), so it's much easier to slip in and out of pockets. The corners aren't covered by the outer plastic shell, so you still get decent impact resistance. Basically, think of it kinda like an Otterbox Defender in reverse.

I haven't seen the Commuter series. I'll look that up.

Anyone ever see/use a Lifeproof case?

I have an Otterbox Commuter series for iPhone 4S if you want it. I used it until I went with something a little slimmer that looks cooler. It works well, I also used a Commuter for two years on a Droid Incredible.

PM if you're interested in the case.
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock,
    who trains my hands for war,
    my fingers for battle.
    -Psalm 144:1

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by VolGrad View Post
    I haven't seen the Commuter series. I'll look that up.

Anyone ever see/use a Lifeproof case?
    IIRC those are like a Defender but on steroids as they're possible to make completely waterproof.

I'd take a hard look at the down-armored Otterbox cases as I'm sure one of them would work for your needs. Avoid Seidio's case for it as those things are everything you don't like about the Otterbox Defender but much, much worse.

I'm a fan of the Lifeproof cases. They're pretty weird about warranty stuff, but it's a low profile case and in the 6 months I've had it it's been great. I wouldn't push my luck with the water resistant feature, but it's a nice Plan B if things go south.

http://www.lifeproof.com/why-lifeproof/?path=TopNav
    I do my best proofreading after I hit "Send"

Element cases are VERY nice, but not cheap. Sign up for the newsletter for 10% off. You can score some pretty good deals on iPhone 4 versions now I think.

http://www.elementcase.com/

As far as how well it protects, the boss dropped his iphone 4 from about 8 feet recently and it was fine. Not saying you should try to duplicate that though...

Lifeproof rocks! I've beat the dogshit out of mine including a roof drop into concrete. Great piece of gear!

+1 for the life proof case. I've seen them used underwater before for videos. Very impressive. I will say it sucks finding an auxiliary audio cable that will work with them.
    J.M. Johnston
    Host of Ballistic Radio - Sundays at 7:00 PM EST on Cincinnati's 55KRC THE Talk Station, available on iHeartRadio

User Tag List