Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Bob Costas on Sunday Night football

Funny how Bob Costas could care less about the NFL employee that killed himself the same day but using a rope.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...7894--nfl.html
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post
    Here's an example of how it seemed to be handled appropriately: http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics...ebook-threats/ Medical Doctors will be able to work with Raub and tell authorities whether he is dangerous or not...albeit within a reasonable doubt. Given time, Raub should be able to get out if he is deemed sane and stay longer is he is deemed not.
    Chilling. Guilty until proven innocent. What's to prevent YOU or ME from being subjected to the same fate for some "reasonable misinterpretation" of our posts here, in this forum ostensibly dedicated to fostering the effective use of firearms.?? When the knock comes to my door and I react in a way that reflects my disgust and anger at the intrusion, should I be expecting to be whisked away in handcuffs for a 30-day evaluation because police officers believe me "to be in need of further evaluation"? Am I forced to temper my disgust at the intrusion for fear of forced institutionalization?

Chilling. Frosty. Nightmarish.

I'd side with his Counsel.
    “For government officials to not only arrest Brandon Raub for doing nothing more than exercising his First Amendment rights but to actually force him to undergo psychological evaluations and detain him against his will goes against every constitutional principle this country was founded upon. This should be a wake-up call to Americans that the police state is here,” said John Whitehead, president of The Rutherford Institute, which is serving as counsel for Raub.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Funny how Bob Costas could care less about the NFL employee that killed himself the same day but using a rope.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...7894--nfl.html
    As a long suffering Cleveland Browns fan, I can wholeheartedly understand...

Yes, Bob Costas, guns are the problem. Nicole Brown Simpson would be alive today if OJ hadn't shot her with that knife.

The reality of guns in the US:

http://www.timesdispatch.com/news/lo...9bb30f31a.html

Not that I have to tell you guys
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Chilling. Guilty until proven innocent. What's to prevent YOU or ME from being subjected to the same fate for some "reasonable misinterpretation" of our posts here, in this forum ostensibly dedicated to fostering the effective use of firearms.?? When the knock comes to my door and I react in a way that reflects my disgust and anger at the intrusion, should I be expecting to be whisked away in handcuffs for a 30-day evaluation because police officers believe me "to be in need of further evaluation"? Am I forced to temper my disgust at the intrusion for fear of forced institutionalization?

Chilling. Frosty. Nightmarish.

I'd side with his Counsel.
    Imagine for a moment that he acted in a violent way because the authorities failed to act. The public would be demanding to know why they didn't act, if they KNEW about the postings and the potential for violence. This passes the reasonable test for me. And, YES, if I posted something on the the internet like he did, I would be expecting a knock at my door and some mental health evaluations coming. (e.g., "the revolution is upon us," "a new beginning is coming," and "a secret Castle in Colorado where they have been raping and sacrificing children for many years," and "Sharpen up my axe; I'm here to sever heads," among others.)

A judge had him released after about a week, which would have been enough time for Doctors to determine if he was looney-toons or ready to do violence. They could have brought more evidence to bear if that was the case. I am glad it wasn't. People are detained all the time when police/prosecutors are doing investigations base on soft evidence and not just suspicion. This happens all the time in domestic cases. His Facebook postings were real and were significant enough to go above the bar, IMHO. Threatening violence is not protected by the 1st Amendment.

From my view this is an example of the system working: A potential for violence was detected, authorities acted in a responsible manner, he was evaluated, and a judge released him based on the evidence available. Now, if he does act violently, the authorities can say they did their due diligence. I know I will sleep better.

CC

What a moron. I assume Costas (and Whitlock) are some kind of experts on football, I have no idea. I watch about one game a year and that is for the commercials. But they obviously know f*** all about guns.

How on earth do you keep handguns away from a rich celebrity? They have the connections, the adulation from others and the resources to get whatever they really want...not to mention the moxie to not really give a flip about the law (or assume it doesnt apply to them). As a matter of fact that is a an odd parallel between celebrities and criminals...

Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post
    Imagine for a moment that he acted in a violent way because the authorities failed to act. The public would be demanding to know why they didn't act,(snip)

CC
    The public demanding Something Should Be Done Right Now about a particular well publicized event is one of the classic shortcomings of democratic governments. Tyranny of the Majority, as the Federalist Papers described it. Laws made under such circumstances tend to be really bad ones- the TSA being a recent example.

User Tag List