Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Moving with firearms?

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar

Moving with firearms?

So, without revealing too much, I recently was offered an incredible job at a very prestigious, non-profit academic medical center in Minnesota. Those of you who are familiar with such institutions can probably figure out exactly which one I am talking about, but I'd prefer we not mention it by name in this thread.

So anyway, my job offer starts when I am finished with my academic program and begins in the fall of 2013 or thereabouts. While I moved once cross country- from Oregon to CT - this time I actually want to keep a bunch of my furniture and junk. I was a college student in Oregon so it was not exactly hard to get rid of things, but now I have stuff that would be needlessly expensive to get rid of. So I am thinking the UHaul is the best route to go.

However I am sort of nervous about the idea of shlepping all of my guns from CT to minnesota as I will be passing through Illinois on the way. I know FOPA is supposed to help me not get arrested as long as I don't stick around for too long, but is that even the best way to transport my guns? I don't want to fly them into MN as the only flights that I can find that land in the city I will be living in come from O'Hare....dont want to even set foot in that place to begin with, let alone with 6 handguns in my checked luggage.

Any general pieces of advice? Legality, etc... I am also wondering if getting an out of state permit is a good idea so I can start carrying right away, instead of waiting for the local sheriff to give me his blessings or whatever. I know in MN I have to apply in person. Lame.

If you're using professional movers, PM me. I work for one of the majors and can answer your questions offline.

If your stuff is packed away in the back of a uhaul, I don't know how anyone would find it.

I live in MN. I've shot some USPSA in Illinois. The vibe I got was that outside of Chicago, the firearm thing isn't that big of a deal.

My advice would be to stay on I90 and take a bit of a detour. Set up your trip so you don't stop anywhere near the chicago metro area and don't worry about it.

The permit process here is pretty fast. If you want to speed it up you could try and line up whatever class you will need.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    However I am sort of nervous about the idea of shlepping all of my guns from CT to minnesota as I will be passing through Illinois on the way. I know FOPA is supposed to help me not get arrested as long as I don't stick around for too long, but is that even the best way to transport my guns?
    I think a lot depends on what you mean by "firearms".

The last time I moved, I blew most of my furniture in place and only took books and electronics and guns in the truck. This still meant... er... a LOT of firearms, and hundreds of pounds of ammo and reloading components. I'll not lie; this had an effect on whether the route went through Ohio or not between K-Town and Indy...
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Moved quite a bit when in the Army. I always had my firearms with me personally. Frankly, moving two vehicles was much more of a hassle than the firearms.

Just googled your route. That's a good ways away. I would avoid Chicago if possible.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    I think a lot depends on what you mean by "firearms".

The last time I moved, I blew most of my furniture in place and only took books and electronics and guns in the truck. This still meant... er... a LOT of firearms, and hundreds of pounds of ammo and reloading components. I'll not lie; this had an effect on whether the route went through Ohio or not between K-Town and Indy...
    I am frugal. I have not a lot to move by mass/volume relative to most people here for sure. Though ammunition might be a pain in the butt.

Anybody from the area have any tips as to what would be a good midway point? western indiana looks promising... I could leave early in the AM and be in MN by about early afternoon.

Site Supporter
    I moved across country and did the following with my guns and ammo. We sold all of our major furniture and after 10 years of using the stuff it was time for new. I rented a 16' Penske truck and towed our family Jeep. I placed my safe with all of my guns boxed or wrapped in towels inside the safe at the front of the truck and built everything around it. Even though we sold all of the major stuff the truck was packed full. The drive was uneventful and when I went through Illinois I went the southern route and avoided Chitcago. I didn't stop in Illinois and drove straight through until I hit Indiana. If you are going to Minnesota you could go through Michigan over the top and back down to avoid Illinois.

The only stessful part was parking the truck at night in hotel parking lots. I used two motorola handy talkies and left them on voice to voice all night so I could hear noise. I also rigged the back so bright lighting came on if the door was opened.

If I had firearms that would fit into a suitcase I would have packed them in a normal suitcase and brought it in the hotel room each night.
    Last edited by steve; 12-01-2012 at 07:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Anybody from the area have any tips as to what would be a good midway point? western indiana looks promising... I could leave early in the AM and be in MN by about early afternoon.
    The western edge of Indiana on I-90 is Lake County, wherein lies the city of Gary. Gary is ground zero of all that is wrong in northern Indiana, where rust belt blight and decay meets South Chicago gangland; it's got that whole post-apocalyptic vibe, like Detroit...

The only thing that makes Gary better in my eyes than Chicago is that I can legally carry a gun in the former. If you are planning on overnighting in Lake County, research the area around your intended motel ahead of time.

Site Supporter
    my employer (oil and gas company) moved me and declared they will move long guns only and no ammo. Just a data point.

Quote Originally Posted by fixer View Post
    my employer (oil and gas company) moved me and declared they will move long guns only and no ammo. Just a data point.
    Due to weight issues or the ORM-D/hazmat thing?

User Tag List