Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Secret City Weaponeers Light Bearing AIWB

Secret City Weaponeers Light Bearing AIWB

I have been looking to switch to AIWB carry from my 4:30 carry position I currently use. I have been carrying a shield there for about 3 months and happy with it, I saw the benefits and was ready to make the switch. The problem was I carry a M&P9 FS with RMR and TLR-3.

I wasnt ready to give up the light, I think its a little crazy to carry without a WML (I carry a handheld too)

Anyway, after contacting a few well known holster makers and getting varied responses from No, Yes - but not for 3 months, your crazy, well try, etc I called Tony at Secret City.

I have been carrying one of his holsters at 4:30 for about 18 months now and am very happy with it, its the best holster ive ever owned. He agreed to make me a one off. We exchanged some drawings, thoughts, and ideas. 2 Weeks later and this shows up.

It came with soft loops (At my request), but I decided to swap to Comptac overhooks, which I have used on my EDC fixed blade, and 4:30 Secret City holster for a while and like very much. So I installed those and off we went.

The wide overhook spacing gives it excellent stability. I adjusted the hooks to get the gun as low as I could while 1. Still bend over and touch my toes without the holster digging into my leg and 2. Still allow a full grip when drawing.

Its ridiculously comfortable, I havent worn it for a really long car ride, but I believe it will be more comfortable than my 4:30 holster.

Retention is perfect for AIWB (At least I think), there are no sharp edges or corners that would bind or put pressure on my thighs.

The craftsmanship is incredible, as is all of his work I have seen.

I did some dry fire drills and my presentation is definitely faster. I need to run some drills with it agaisnt my current PR benchmark times to see how it improves my first shot times.

I know there was a period of time that SCW's business was lagging, but it looks like he is getting it back on track, getting better order management and communications and keeping high quality and QC.

I will update this thread once I get some good time with it and see how I like it long term, but the initial outlook is good.

Ignore the different color overhooks, I had to scalp them off my other holster and ran out of black...

Bottom of the holster showing the nice curves and smooth radii

My EDC gun in the holster, retention is great.

Alongside my SCW Custom Y-12. Its not retired yet, I still use it (A copy of it) OWB for carbine classes and some training. 80% of my training will be from AIWB concealed now.

And how it sits at my belt line, very stable and perfect ride height.
    President - Unity Tactical - Innovative. Adaptive. Decisive.

Very cool. How do you like the TLR-3 IWB? Does it create a hot spot at all? Did you consider an X300 for that position?

Honestly, I really don't like the TLR-3 that much. I have had one fail on me (Rail clamp snapped, Streamlight replaced it for free).

But its very thin and decently bright (100 lumens I think). I hate that it takes a non-CR123 battery, and I hate that its not a SF.

I will be replacing my 2 TLR-3's with the InForce APL when they are available.

I havent tried an X300, but I think it may not be thin enough. But I think the APL will be my ideal solution if it proves to be reliable and the switchology works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by goteron View Post
    Honestly, I really don't like the TLR-3 that much. I have had one fail on me (Rail clamp snapped, Streamlight replaced it for free).

But its very thin and decently bright (100 lumens I think). I hate that it takes a non-CR123 battery, and I hate that its not a SF.

I will be replacing my 2 TLR-3's with the InForce APL when they are available.

I havent tried an X300, but I think it may not be thin enough. But I think the APL will be my ideal solution if it proves to be reliable and the switchology works for me.
    I know how you feel. I have a TLR-3 and I'm just holding it in my hands thinking 'I want to have a custom holster made for /this?/'

Hadn't heard of the Inforce APL before. Very, very interesting. Thank you.

I had the same thought.

I will say, the two TLR-3s I own have both made it through some pretty good beatings in classes and training. Its just that SF > Streamlight.

InForce makes some really good lights and I believe the APL will fill a niche that has been open for quite a while.

I have an APL inbound, cannot wait to get it in hand. Looks like a *good* small light. That said the CT Lightguard doesn't seem terrible.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Site Supporter
    I've been wanting to try a Secret City Holster, I ordered and paid for a holster and mag pouch in September of 2011 and I am still waiting. I've sent several emails with no response. I thought they went out of business.

Glad it is working out. Being able to carry a WML has me continue to carry at 4'oclock.

Sorry to hijack the thread, mod's feel free to delete. Just feeling bitter.

Cookie Monster

I don't have any of secret city holsters, but I have heard of others having the experience Cookie Monster mentioned. Is this not the guy that has had some bad business practices in which people are still waiting for a refund or their holster?
    Last edited by EVP; 12-01-2012 at 10:09 AM. Reason: Stupid phone

I've had some intrest in an AIWB utilizing a WML but I'm carrying a G22 with a TLR-1 and I'm afraid it's too big (width wise, not length). The smaller lights might be the ticket, I've considered a CTC Lightguard.

With regard to SCW, I'm glad you got your holster and it looks great. I had a K-25 on order (paid in full) for 13 months before it finally showed up after countless unanswered emails. It was a fine piece of Kydex craftsmanship but after the experience I could never recommend SCW. My advice is buyer beware and if you need gear NOW (as in a year or sooner) look elsewhere.

YMMV.

Cookie - He isnt out of business, and he is working hard to turn it around and rebuild his reputation. Have you emailed him at orders@secretcityweaponeers.com? I know he changed his email address. He is also starting to get more active on FB.

Kevin - He had a rough year last year and a lot of people are still waiting, but he definitely isnt a thief or fraud, just didnt handle the explosion in volume as well as he could. I spoke with him about his plan to rebuild it and it sounds like a good strategy.

MD - I don't think I could carry a larger light, except maybe the APL.

User Tag List