Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Inexpensive Singles & doubles?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dov View Post
    From the youtube and website review I linked https://www.huntinggearguy.com/shotg...hotgun-review/ above:

I wouldn't want to shoot the 12 with any full power loads at this point in life

I was thinking the Fiocchi 9 pellet No 1 buckshot for defense with the 12

But I was also interested in the 410 since these come with choke tubes even in 410. So for a camp/car/ATV/bushplane survival gun it might be useful.

The 410 with OOO buckshot loads for defense, birdshot for small game gathering (thinking survival not wingshooting), even the little 110 grain 410 slug might(?) useful for some niche in that situation.
    410's are an expert type gun imo.
    12 or 20 ga. offer several lower recoil shells, weight is your friend in the recoil department.

My SXS's recoil significantly more than my gas operated semi's if recoil is a concern. My 16 ga. featherweight SXS comes back (with light loads) harder than my old 1100 with full tilt 2 3/4" 12 ga. loads. Or even my 590's.

A 410 would be better than nothing for sure, but harder to make solid hits with.

If you can live with single shot, an old Ithica M-66 can be had super cheap in 20 ga. They are solid guns, much more so than any Turkish option I'm aware of.

New England Firearms (NEF) no longer produces single-shot shotguns, known for their affordability and reliability. However, options from brands like Rossi, H&R 1871, and Chiappa Firearms still offer budget-friendly alternatives. Single-shot firearms can often be purchased for a similar price as entry-level double-barrel shotguns, making them a cost-effective choice for both beginners and those seeking backup firearms. When deciding between singles and doubles, consider factors such as intended use, durability, and value to find the best fit for your needs and budget.

There aren't new NEF Singleshot gauges being made anymore correct?

Anything on new market roughly comparable?

You can get two singles for about same $ as any double right?

Does it have to be new?

Theres a lot of used single shot shotguns on gunbroker, I just looked at 20 ga guns, there were 3 or 4 Winchesters in the first couple pages or so and tons of various others, many in rough finish condition, but if well built they would likely be functional enough. Many have poorly designed stocks, too much drop, leading the muzzle rise and the smack in the cheek effect. Way back, it was a desirable trait for a shotgun to be "hard shooting" the intent or belief seems to be more powerful, and often mentioned in advertisements and discussions. We know now that smacking the shooter around isnt a sign of a good gun, and most stocks have improved over time, however many single shots have still had poor stock designs.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    That looks exactly like an H&R, as far as I remember them. Someone here has to know whether Savage just bought the IP & tooling, or came up with their own copy.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List