Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KelTec Sub2k 5.7

KelTec Sub2k 5.7

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_Ef4S6S6Fs

KelTec "teased" a 5.7 gun with a normal magazine, and included the Sub2k charging handle in the video. Seems a little too obvious.

It's going to be the most uncomfortable, hardest recoiling 5.7 at the market.

Quote Originally Posted by zaitcev View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_Ef4S6S6Fs

KelTec "teased" a 5.7 gun with a normal magazine, and included the Sub2k charging handle in the video. Seems a little too obvious.

It's going to be the most uncomfortable, hardest recoiling 5.7 at the market.
    Plus P .22 WMR recoil?
    Don't threaten me with a good time.

[QUOTE=zaitcev;1593373]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_Ef4S6S6Fs

It's going to be the most uncomfortable, hardest recoiling 5.7 at the market.[/QUOTE

.22 WMR +P recoil?
    Don't threaten me with a good time

+P double post.

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    Plus P .22 WMR recoil?
    Don't threaten me with a good time.
    You seem to be laboring under a misconception that the recoil is somehow determined by the bullet getting expelled. But that only works for bolt actions. The bolt mass of a blowback-operated 5.7 is about the same as for the 9mm. And the "recoil" you get from shooting it is mostly the bolt slamming its stop.

Of course a recoil from the worst AR9 is not like touching off a 4-bore. But why tolerate it if comparable options with a lower recoil exist? CMMG Banshee, for example (granted, it does not come with a rifle length barrel, so a Subbie may still be preferable from a legal standpoint).

@zaitcev

It's been a while since I shot a P90, but its recoil is nowhere near that of a 9mm blowback. Just to be clear, the P90 barrel recoils just a tiny bit, but less than a single millimeter and is regarded as a straight blowback gun, not a delayed blowback.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Hmm, can't recall shooting any 9mm carbines but both me and gf had chance to shoot legally converted to full auto PS90 on rental range and it didn't have recoil worth mentioning IMHO.

My PS90 has very little recoil at all, and it has a massive bolt, bigger and heavier than any PCC AR type 9mm. It is still less recoil than my 9mm 16" PSA ARV with an A5 buffer in place.
    Support the Second Amendment Foundation and the Firearms Policy Coalition, join and give!

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    @zaitcev

It's been a while since I shot a P90, but its recoil is nowhere near that of a 9mm blowback. Just to be clear, the P90 barrel recoils just a tiny bit, but less than a single millimeter and is regarded as a straight blowback gun, not a delayed blowback.
    Are you sure on the P90? Everything I've ever seen shows it to be just plain blowback.
    The FN57 pistol(& most 5.7 pistols) do have a moving barrel of some sort usually to act as delayed blowback, but I've only ever seen that, again, be demonstrated with the pistols, not the original SMG or its civilian legal couterparts.

Quote Originally Posted by MandoWookie View Post
    Are you sure on the P90? Everything I've ever seen shows it to be just plain blowback.
    I'm not sure what you're asking, because that's what I also stated. But, yeah, it is a plain blowback (I think I used the words "straight blowback"). As I said, the barrel recoils less than a mm. Some people think that means it's a delayed blowback. I was just pointing it out to clarify that it still functions as a plain blowback, not a delayed blowback, regardless of its recoiling barrel. I stated that in an effort to preempt any ideas that anyone might have that its a delayed blowback, and their belief that the P90 recoils less than a 9mm blowback because of it.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by zaitcev View Post
    You seem to be laboring under a misconception that the recoil is somehow determined by the bullet getting expelled. But that only works for bolt actions. The bolt mass of a blowback-operated 5.7 is about the same as for the 9mm. And the "recoil" you get from shooting it is mostly the bolt slamming its stop.

Of course a recoil from the worst AR9 is not like touching off a 4-bore. But why tolerate it if comparable options with a lower recoil exist? CMMG Banshee, for example (granted, it does not come with a rifle length barrel, so a Subbie may still be preferable from a legal standpoint).
    I laughed at the sorta joke… The 9mm Sub2k is a teeth rattling platform. For me, the one pound bolt mass reciprocating 4mm right from the jaw bone makes the Keltec miserable to shoot. I expect it is rather like running a stockless STEN as a cheek weld pistol.

Almost certainly any Keltec adaptation of the Sub2k would retain this straight blowback approach (a tube gun). Supposedly the 5.7 cartridge has roughly 30% less recoil force as the 9x19mm, so the basic math doesn’t change much.

The 5.7 is a flashy and fast round with +/- 50,000 psi chamber pressure. My limited shooting the FN pistol is that blowback works, but that pressure curve is real. I didn’t like the thought of a largely polymer and lightly built pistol with that pressure after a shooting session. My trust in Keltec is extraordinarily low regarding putting that chamber pressure an inch from my eyeball. Zaitcev’s doubt seems more than reasonable.

Name:  IMG_0853.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  45.5 KB

I will forgo the opportunity to be beta tester on this model.

User Tag List