Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Don't assume your hotel room is safe......

Don't assume your hotel room is safe......

Hackers have found a way to take advantage of hotel key cards. Even though they're working on it, I can't imagine they've solved the problem in millions of hotels that fast.

"That security flaw was first publicly demonstrated by Cody Brocious, a 24-year-old software developer for Mozilla, at the Black Hat hacker conference in July. Brocious reverse-engineered Onity’s locks and discovered he could spoof the “portable programmer” device meant to be used for designating master keys and opening locks whose batteries had died.

On stage at Black Hat, Brocious showed it was possible to insert the plug of a small device he built with less than $50 in parts into the port at the bottom of any Onity keycard lock, read the digital key that provides access to the opening mechanism of the lock, and open it instantaneously.

In a statement sent to me, a White Lodging spokesperson says the company became aware of the vulnerability in its Onity locks in August, based on reading one of the stories I wrote about Brocious’s lock-hacking technique over the summer. But White Lodging says Onity only implemented a fix for that flaw in its locks after the September break-ins at the Houston Hyatt, around two months after I first alerted Onity to Brocious’s work."

http://www.forbes.com/sites/andygree...This%20Morning
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

I could see some folks feeling a little disturbed by this information, but opening a hotel room door is child's play for someone who can grasp basic physics and mechanics. Once the illusion of security is lifted, hopefully learning can occur. Maybe it is info/stories like this that will help speed up that process? We can only hope. Thanks for pointing that out to us.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

"A good shooter with a weak body and weak mind will lose against one who has the physical ability to crush him, and the mental ability to do it repeatedly"
    -Kyle Defoor

Quote Originally Posted by F-Trooper05 View Post
    While great when you are in the room, it doesn't do much when you are not. Point being, be mindful of what you leave in your room and if you use the hotel safe, make sure to change the code to a personal PIN number, not 1234 or 0000 like so many people do because they worry they might forget the PIN.
    Time flies when you throw your watch.

I'm a firm believer of not leaving anything in plain sight in the hotel room that is valuable to me, nor leaving anything in the safe without hiding the most important things inside the safe. Yes, I want anyone to sweat looking in my safe. I want them thinking that they don't have enough time and if they start playing hide and seek, they'll run out of time and I'll be back. I also don't keep regular hours while on vacation.

Lastly, I learned an interesting ploy by happenstance. I always check to make sure my new code works before I lock anything in the safe and the last time I was on vacation, it didn't work right. I call the front desk and ask them to come in and help me. Low and behold, there is a master code to unlock it-perhaps it is changed by management often, but it was a bit unnerving. So I had the following exchange:

Me: you are now my personal security system.
    Guy: why do you say that?
    Me: b/c I know you can get into my safe faster than I can, so if anything is stolen it's on your head first. *I laugh to give him some nervous wiggle room.*
    Guy: *nervous laughter with a bit of sweat* You're funny and don't worry, I'll make sure everything is fine.
    Me: thanks, I know you will. *I give him double the normal tip in his native country of Costa Rica.*

Needless to say, this guy was the best the whole time we were there and there was nothing he couldn't produce for me. Now I know nothing of trade craft in this arena, but I think I'm pretty good with people and I'll now be making this 'trick' happen every time I go away on vacation.

Any thoughts or criticisms from the real masters?

Quote Originally Posted by BaiHu View Post
    Needless to say, this guy was the best the whole time we were there and there was nothing he couldn't produce for me. Now I know nothing of trade craft in this arena, but I think I'm pretty good with people and I'll now be making this 'trick' happen every time I go away on vacation.

Any thoughts or criticisms from the real masters?
    Totally not a master in this area, but I think that's how the service industry works. Treat them right and they treat you right.

Except strippers. Don't give them a bunch of money up front expecting better service than if you made them work for each dollar. It doesn't work.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    When I travel I try to keep my valuables on my person or within my immediate control as much as possible and when I'm in the hotel room I always have a gun handy. Even in the shower.

I look pretty good naked so that's guaranteed to reset somebody's OODA loop just long enough for me to fire the J frame inside that ziploc baggie.

1. Lmfao!
    2. I can't carry in commie NJ nor Costa Rica. I keep a knife.
    3. At times its safer leaving cash/cards/passport in the hotel than going surfing with it all ziplocked and duct taped to your butt
    Thanks TGS/TCinVA!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    When I travel I try to keep my valuables on my person or within my immediate control as much as possible and when I'm in the hotel room I always have a gun handy. Even in the shower.

I look pretty good naked so that's guaranteed to reset somebody's OODA loop just long enough for me to fire the J frame inside that ziploc baggie.

A traveling salesman I worked with got his hotel room broken into while he was in the shower. I guess one of the maintenance men saw an attractive lady in the bar the night before, thought that he figured out what room she was in, and decided to go visit her the next morning while she was in the shower. The problem was that he broke into the wrong room. The salesman hears something outside the shower curtain and opens it to find mr. maintenance "taking matters into his own hands."

This salesman was no small guy, had quite a bit of martial arts experience, and proceded to give mr. maintenance a lesson.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    I could see some folks feeling a little disturbed by this information, but opening a hotel room door is child's play for someone who can grasp basic physics and mechanics. Once the illusion of security is lifted, hopefully learning can occur. Maybe it is info/stories like this that will help speed up that process? We can only hope. Thanks for pointing that out to us.
    Would you explain what you mean regarding the physics and mechanics?

I spend lots of time in hotels, so I would l like to have more info on defeating burglars.

User Tag List