Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Don't assume your hotel room is safe......

Quote Originally Posted by Zhurdan View Post
    While great when you are in the room, it doesn't do much when you are not. Point being, be mindful of what you leave in your room and if you use the hotel safe, make sure to change the code to a personal PIN number, not 1234 or 0000 like so many people do because they worry they might forget the PIN.
    It's definitely better than just leaving stuff out but hotel room safes are anything but "safe". Check out these videos to see what I mean.

Stay safe gents.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Yeah, the in room "safes" are not what I'd call secure. If the hotel has a safe behind the counter or safe deposit style boxes with controlled access, that's different.

Regarding the room locks, this is actually a fairly old exploit (on the order of months and months, check out this handy repackage), I first read about it in July. It's a classic example of 'security through obscurity.' I certainly never would have looked at that barrel jack and thought 'Data!' and I've stayed in hundreds of hotels.

Unfortunately even in modern times all a lock can do is keep an honest man honest.

Also, regarding in-room safes. Pretty much all of them that aren't electronic (and very easily defeated, as noted) use Medeco locks, and, well... I'll leave this here for your inspection. The process is certainly more involved than the kwikset on most people's front doors, but there's plenty of folks out there who have no problem with a non-destructive entry.
    I don't understand what's happening, but I have a soldering iron.

User Tag List