Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Body cam video

I will not be surprised if there turns out to be blue on blue damage in this one.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    Quote Originally Posted by jnc36rcpd View Post
    Police Activity did not provide its usual level of background on this video. From a Google search, the suspect was having homicidal and suicidal ideation and was armed with multiple firearms. Parents requested police to respond which resulted in activation of a multi-agency emergency response team.

Valid points about how cumbersome long guns can be when going hands on. This illustrates why many teams, both SWAT and ad hoc patrol, often designate a less-lethal or hands-on officer.
    Unless that was a crisis entry because his parents were inside about to be killed, that doesn't look like what would be regarded as best practices in dealing with a suicidal/homicidal armed suspect. But many places haven't updated their practices in light of current trends. Any idea if there were other persons present in the house? If he was alone, that's a hard 'Nope' on sending cops into that house like that.

Any idea why they would choose to go through the front door while standing on a narrow porch that has no other forms of cover/escape except for backwards? It was like that proverbial "Cone of Death" with an entrenched gunman. The house didn't looked fenced in and free of neighboring houses. Maybe attack at a more vulnerable area? I'm not second guessing; just curious.

Name:  pic.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  31.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    Unless that was a crisis entry because his parents were inside about to be killed, that doesn't look like what would be regarded as best practices in dealing with a suicidal/homicidal armed suspect. But many places haven't updated their practices in light of current trends. Any idea if there were other persons present in the house? If he was alone, that's a hard 'Nope' on sending cops into that house like that.
    His firearms owner identification card was revoked which is why I assume they called ERT. They threw in a throw phone and attempted to call him 60 plus times before making entry

I am a plain old civilian who has a SIL police officer, so I am tired of seeing situations like this w/ cops getting shot. Maybe a rifle isn't always the answer. Maybe better tactics would be the solution. But every time I see a similar video, I wonder if anyone in the police community is learning anything. It just keeps happening. I get that it is almost impossible to eliminate many of the assassinations we have seen, but a planned approach like this one surely could be improved on. Thanks guys I am just trying to understand. Sorry it is hard to go backwards once in the reply screen, but someone posted an overhead view and asked if there couldn't have been a better approach. That is the kind of thinking I like to see and hope to understand.

Site Supporter
    It should be pointed out that this is clearly a planned event, to one degree or another. You have a team making an approach, fully kitted out beyond patrol level kit, and with breaching gear. This isn't a 'domestic disturbance' call.....it looks like a warrant service. The advisibilty of having long guns deployed for such an operation is very different from a call for service.

That said....yikes. I'm most impressed by the female officer providing aid to her wounded teammate. She stayed very calm and deliberate
    This ^^^.

Many of the comments in the beginning this thread are missing significant context, which is why posting either descriptions or news stories providing context with BWC video is important.

In this instance, the situation started out as a domestic disturbance in which and armed individual threatened to harm themselves and others. After a long barricade / standoff during which the the suspect failed to respond to multiple attempts to communicate, a decision was made to attempt entry. It was unclear at the time if the individual was simply being obstinate or if they had harmed themselves. It's also unclear if the suspect was alone in the house.

One of the three shot was a Fire Fighter / paramedic attached to the team as a tactical medic.

Long guns have their place but they wont prevent you from being shot. The enemy gets a vote. As discussed there are reasons to choose a pistol over a long gun for entries into a residence including the need to go hands on, confines spaces, etc. Mission / situation drives gear choices.
    Last edited by HCM; 06-25-2024 at 11:15 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
    Any idea why they would choose to go through the front door while standing on a narrow porch that has no other forms of cover/escape except for backwards? It was like that proverbial "Cone of Death" with an entrenched gunman. The house didn't looked fenced in and free of neighboring houses. Maybe attack at a more vulnerable area? I'm not second guessing; just curious.

Name:  pic.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  31.2 KB
    SWAT teams vary in quality and capability, as does the leadership which directs and employs them them.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jnc36rcpd View Post
    Police Activity did not provide its usual level of background on this video. From a Google search, the suspect was having homicidal and suicidal ideation and was armed with multiple firearms. Parents requested police to respond which resulted in activation of a multi-agency emergency response team.

Valid points about how cumbersome long guns can be when going hands on. This illustrates why many teams, both SWAT and ad hoc patrol, often designate a less-lethal or hands-on officer.
    This is what they had listed:

Ogle County, Illinois — On June 12, 2024, at 8:39 a.m., Ogle County law enforcement responded to a 911 call from a residence in the 400 block of Wild Rice Lane. A family member reported that 32-year-old Jonathon Gounaris had threatened them and himself. The situation quickly escalated, prompting the deployment of the SWAT team and hostage negotiators at 9:18 a.m. Despite repeated attempts to communicate with Gounaris, there was no response from within the house. By 11:51 a.m., authorities made the decision to enter the home. Immediately upon entering the house, deputies received fire. Officers returned fire, incapacitating Gounaris. The suspect was found heavily armed with multiple firearms, a fixed-blade knife, pepper spray, and ballistic armor. During the exchange, several law enforcement personnel were injured.

Tactical Medic Tyler Carls of the Rochelle Fire Department was struck twice in his body armor. Sergeant Tad Dominski of the City of Oregon Police sustained a gunshot wound to his upper arm, while Lieutenant Jason Ketter of the Ogle County Sheriff’s Office was shot in the face. Carls and Dominski were transported to KSB Hospital, where they were treated and released the same day. Ketter was airlifted to OSF St. Anthony’s Hospital in Rockford, underwent surgery on Wednesday, and was released on Friday. Gounaris, who was shot in the stomach, also underwent surgery and is now in custody. He faces a total of 12 criminal charges, including 4 counts of attempted first-degree murder, three counts of aggravated discharge of a firearm, three counts of aggravated battery, and two counts of possession of a firearm without a Firearm Owner’s Identification Card (FOID). If convicted, he could face up to 80 years in prison. Gounaris is scheduled to appear in court on June 20.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    I will not be surprised if there turns out to be blue on blue damage in this one.
    Jesus that one guy dumped a mag over the top of the downed officer with at least one officer still inside the house.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

We probably would’ve walked away from that one too if he was the only one in the house unless he was making threats to come out for violence. We’d have tried negotiating but if he wouldn’t respond we’d have probably walked. It’s hard to say with the limited info.

If it was decided we were staying I’m pretty sure we’d have been playing how about a lot of gas scarecrow before any entry.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

User Tag List