Thread: CRKT CEO Compact

CRKT CEO Compact

I bought one of these more or less on a whim while I was shopping for something else. The damn thing arrived dull as a butter knife. I manage to put a decent edge on it, then go remove the plastic wrapping from two packages and whittle a grand total of four shavings off a piece of firewood. Damn thing just quits cutting, back to being butter knife dull. Never have I ever seen another knife with such poor edge retention. A fun toy to fiddle with during Teams meetings while working from home, but seems just about bloody useless as a knife. I guess the name was meant as a warning...?

I have several CRKT knives and this is the first time I've seen this. Probably an issue with this particular knife (just my typical luck...). Still, thought I'd warn others that if you buy one, there is a non-zero chance that what you get isn't actually functional as a knife.
    IDPA SSP classification: Sharpshooter
    F.A.S.T. classification: Intermediate

Looking at the CRKT website, the CEO Compact is offer in 3 different steels, 1.4116, 14C28N and S35VN.

1.4116 is pretty soft as per knifebasics.com.

The stainless steel DIN naming system specifies 1.4116 steel as X50CrMoV15 steel. 1.4116 steel will mostly be found in German kitchen knives. They are typically soft steel, have good edge retention, are corrosion-resistant, and are easy to sharpen even with low aluminum oxide abrasive tools.

https://knifebasics.com/1-4116-detai...-steel-review/

My guess is your knife is the 1.4116 model.

I have a CRKT MDP Stiff Kiss that I bought at a gun show years ago. It turned out to be 8CR13MoV steel and dulls pretty easily also. I also have carried a CRNT PECK in my wallet for over 20 years and it's 3CR13MoV which is even softer. For a tiny hideaway knife, its OK.

Gringop
    Play that song about the Irish chiropodist. Irish chiropodist? "My Fate Is In Your Hands."

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    I bought one of these more or less on a whim while I was shopping for something else. The damn thing arrived dull as a butter knife. I manage to put a decent edge on it, then go remove the plastic wrapping from two packages and whittle a grand total of four shavings off a piece of firewood. Damn thing just quits cutting, back to being butter knife dull. Never have I ever seen another knife with such poor edge retention. A fun toy to fiddle with during Teams meetings while working from home, but seems just about bloody useless as a knife. I guess the name was meant as a warning...?

I have several CRKT knives and this is the first time I've seen this. Probably an issue with this particular knife (just my typical luck...). Still, thought I'd warn others that if you buy one, there is a non-zero chance that what you get isn't actually functional as a knife.
    Well that's disappointing. Will you send it back?
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Not sure what the specs are for steel or heat treat, but I would return it or talk to Kershaw. A knife that doesn't cut is a defective product.
    Hamilton certainly should have been working on his dry fire. - idahojess

Site Supporter
    I picked up one of these also a couple of months ago to carry as a lower profile option in slacks.

Mine is the 7097 model with the AUS8 steel and arrived shaving sharp.

Sorry to hear your hasn't worked out too well.

Quote Originally Posted by gringop View Post
    My guess is your knife is the 1.4116 model.
    You'd guess correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Well that's disappointing. Will you send it back?
    Well, since I went at the knife with sharpening tools I'm not sure the seller will accept a return. I've asked, but I doubt they'll reply before next week.
    IDPA SSP classification: Sharpshooter
    F.A.S.T. classification: Intermediate

You'd guess correctly.

Well, since I went at the knife with sharpening tools I'm not sure the seller will accept a return. I've asked, but I doubt they'll reply before next week.
    I bet CRKT will take it.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Things are not this simple and it is not possible to make a valid statement at this stage to simply say the knife is defective or crap. A simple fact of factory produced knives are rapid powered sharpening that will definitely ruin the temper of the steel at the very apex and a bit behind it. Without doing AT LEAST half a dozen or so full sharpening (dull to sharp) sessions you can likely be seeing the effects of this damaged steel at the apex for some time. I would start there and also want to be sure that what you are doing to sharpen the knife is not actually causing issues itself. At least one of those grades of steels someone listed for this model would be the type of steel that I'd expect to give folks fits in sharpening and lend to poor edge retention/initial sharpness/burr/etc...

A few questions that I am curious about....

How did you sharpen the knife? Can you detail the procedure and equipment to some extent...
    Can you measure or approximate the edge angles?
    Can you simply just keep using it and sharpening it to see if what you are seeing changes?

User Tag List