Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on optics and sight in for a 45-70

Opinions on optics and sight in for a 45-70

I have a Marlin CB in 45-70 and wanted to add an optic to it. I was thinking something durable and inexpensive..... either a LPVO with 6-10 magnification or a fixed power like a prism optic.

What ranges would you sight in a 45-70? I read it can be done at 25y which will be a little high at 50y and on again at 100y

Quote Originally Posted by 4RNR View Post
    I have a Marlin CB in 45-70 and wanted to add an optic to it. I was thinking something durable and inexpensive..... either a LPVO with 6-10 magnification or a fixed power like a prism optic.

What ranges would you sight in a 45-70? I read it can be done at 25y which will be a little high at 50y and on again at 100y
    What load(s) will you use?

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Nothing specific. Whatever is available. I realize thats broad but prices and availability is what drives the purchase.

I used to buy Remington Cor Loct 325gr because it was locally available for $30. Now its $45 and not local anymore.

My 45-70 rifles have just Brockman aperture sights, aperture sights and an IER scout scope, or aperture sights and an Aimpoint micro.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Loads matter. Your rifle will run right up next to the 458 Winchester Magnum if you want to go that route, and zeros are not interchangeable.

I’d zero a typical black-powder equivalent load (450-500 grains at 1,300 fps) at 100 yards, which keeps you within 2” of line of sight out to 120-ish yards.

Hotter loads will push that same bullet to around 2,200 fps. I’d zero them around 160, which keeps the same drops out to almost 200 yards.

“Durable” and “inexpensive” tend to be mutually exclusive in scopes, especially as recoil increases. A lot of LPVOs are meant for gas-operated 5.56 NATO rifles and that they may not do well with the recoil of hot 45-70 loads.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    My 45-70 rifles have just Brockman aperture sights, aperture sights and an IER scout scope, or aperture sights and an Aimpoint micro.
    Ditto. Ghost ring sights from Ted Yost when he was at Gunsite as well as an IER Scout scope on a base/mount he built.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Which IER? I cant focus through aperture sights. At least not the ones Ive tried

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    Loads matter. Your rifle will run right up next to the 458 Winchester Magnum if you want to go that route, and zeros are not interchangeable.

I’d zero a typical black-powder equivalent load (450-500 grains at 1,300 fps) at 100 yards, which keeps you within 2” of line of sight out to 120-ish yards.

Hotter loads will push that same bullet to around 2,200 fps. I’d zero them around 160, which keeps the same drops out to almost 200 yards.

“Durable” and “inexpensive” tend to be mutually exclusive in scopes, especially as recoil increases. A lot of LPVOs are meant for gas-operated 5.56 NATO rifles and that they may not do well with the recoil of hot 45-70 loads.

Okie John
    I only have access to 25/50/100 yards. If I drive several hours theres state game land that has 100/200/300

Durable enough to be used but its not going to be in the trench facing down a bayonet charge.

Durable enough to be used but its not going to be in the trench facing down a bayonet charge.
    By durable, I mean it doesn't lose zero after a few hundred rounds, the reticle doesn't cant 30-40 degrees, or it doesn't turn into a maraca.

A 45-70 can do all of that to a badly made scope.

Okie John

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    By durable, I mean it doesn't lose zero after a few hundred rounds, the reticle doesn't cant 30-40 degrees, or it doesn't turn into a maraca.

A 45-70 can do all of that to a badly made scope.

Okie John
    Yes, that, but without costing four figures. Or even high 3s. Something under $500, if that exists.

Another way to explain it. I have a mid 90s Ruger M77 30-06 with a Redfield scope, that is probably just as old. There's nothing special about the scope but it is in the quality range of my abilities as a long range shooter and it has held up great to the 2 or 3 boxes of ammo that has been shot in the last 15 years. A very expensive scope would have been a waste of money in terms of my abilities, my access to longer than 100y ranges and my actual use of the rifle.

Im not talking about a $50 Walmart TruGlo. But maybe the lower end Vortex, Nikon, Leupold.

Yes, that, but without costing four figures. Or even high 3s. Something under $500, if that exists.

Another way to explain it. I have a mid 90s Ruger M77 30-06 with a Redfield scope, that is probably just as old. There's nothing special about the scope but it is in the quality range of my abilities as a long range shooter and it has held up great to the 2 or 3 boxes of ammo that has been shot in the last 15 years. A very expensive scope would have been a waste of money in terms of my abilities, my access to longer than 100y ranges and my actual use of the rifle.

Im not talking about a $50 Walmart TruGlo. But maybe the lower end Vortex, Nikon, Leupold.
    Nothing is more expensive that a scope that shits the bed. Nikon quit making scopes years ago and does not support warranties, so they're out. Leupold has had QC issues lately. I don't know about low-end Vortex or anything else.

I'd call the guys at https://cameralandny.com/ They offer deals on the phone that are not advertised.

Okie John

User Tag List