Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Business Attire - Holster Selection

Business Attire - Holster Selection

Hi All,

I just changed jobs and the new job requires coat and tie (instead of my previous business casual attire). What do you all recommend for holsters for business attire? I'm thinking strong side OWB (because I'm not sure my pants can fit something IWB). What are the best holsters that really hug the body? I always preferred kydex/plastic for AIWB so I am partial to that but I would be willing to explore leather options if they are better. In the end concealability is most important for a glock 26 or 19. Thanks!

Check out Alessi or this forums own JRC. OWB w/a jacket is great, just make sure your "dress" belt is up to par. If you must have kydex, which I hate for OWB, get in line over @ Raven Concealment.

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
    Hi All,

I just changed jobs and the new job requires coat and tie (instead of my previous business casual attire). What do you all recommend for holsters for business attire? I'm thinking strong side OWB (because I'm not sure my pants can fit something IWB). What are the best holsters that really hug the body? I always preferred kydex/plastic for AIWB so I am partial to that but I would be willing to explore leather options if they are better. In the end concealability is most important for a glock 26 or 19. Thanks!
    Back when I worked in business attire the coat/jacket was not normally kept on much during the day as they say old school IBM and Ross Perot used to require. Is this not an issue?
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by iGlock View Post
    Check out Alessi or this forums own JRC. OWB w/a jacket is great, just make sure your "dress" belt is up to par. If you must have kydex, which I hate for OWB, get in line over @ Raven Concealment.
    Thanks iGlock, I'll check them out for sure. I'm actually happy about going to jacket because I think it will make carrying easier. I still have to look at dress belts, but didn't want to ask that question, because I remember a number of threads that have already talked about it that I haven't completely read yet. I'm not married to the idea of kydex so I appreciate the leather options...I just want something that hugs tight!

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Back when I worked in business attire the coat/jacket was not normally kept on much during the day as they say old school IBM and Ross Perot used to require. Is this not an issue?
    its actually weird, everyone actually keeps there coat on all the time...but if it becomes an issue, I will deal with it then. I still want a really good/conealable strong side holster no matter what.

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
    its actually weird, everyone actually keeps there coat on all the time...but if it becomes an issue, I will deal with it then. I still want a really good/conealable strong side holster no matter what.
    They don't get much love on most holster discussions but the $45 FIST model 1K clip holsters have served me VERY well for many years. They are of "clamshell" design and have "thin" and "ultra-thin" kydex material options that may shorten the lifespan of the holster some (6-8 years before cracking of the ultra-thin in my limited experience). But they are very thin IWB and very comfortable. The steel clip has an internal fishhook that has never released from a belt or beltless jeans in my experience with a half dozen of them for years.

I realize you are looking for OWB so I apologize for the off topic aspect there. But in addition to concealing well and being comfortable, and relatively cheap; they allow very fast discrete removal for stowing away if the situation calls for it.

FWIW.

In the OWB area, the very popular RCS and Atomic Dog clone holsters have quite a following and I find them pretty good but ride too high for my frame and dig me in the ribs pretty good when seated and print more out the back. I think larger dudes may not encounter this from all the rave reviews one sees. So I seem to need a lower carrying holster than these popular pancake styles.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I HATE suit and tie stuff. I used to have to work in the monkey suit on occasion doing high end VIP protection. AIWB doesn't work well because you usually leave the front of the coat open. It is in these cases that I usually run a 3-4 O'clock OWB carry or IWB. I have a IWB and OWB holster and several mag pouches from John Ralston at 5 Shot leather for a Glock 17 (strange when the leather investment cost more than the gun, but worth it) and gear from other high end makers for my P7's or 1911's that I have carried over the years on these type of details. I have my suits cut for use with a pistol and support gear, and the belt loops enlarged and reinforced for high end gunbelts that look like a proper dress belt. I am hoping I am still on a list somewhere for the matching belt for my Ralston stuff. I have matching belts for my Bulman, TT Gunleather and Sparks stuff that are the foundation for a carry rig.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    I have my suits cut for use with a pistol and support gear
    Out of idle curiosity, can you provide more details on this? Is it just a matter of going to your tailer with your belt and gun, or can you offer specific things to ask for?
    I don't understand what's happening, but I have a soldering iron.

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    ........ I have my suits cut for use with a pistol and support gear, and the belt loops enlarged and reinforced for high end gunbelts that look like a proper dress belt. ........
    If I may be so bold as to emphasize this: Become acquainted with a good tailor.

Many moons ago I sold men's suits for a living. I was fortunate enough to build a clientele among folks with US Bureau of Prisons, USMS, as well as several local police departments, etc. Our tailor was very good at sewing reinforcements of thin canvas into waistbands in order to support holsters. He usually lined the inside front trouser pockets as well, to help hold spare mags or speedloaders.

If you find a local tailor that works with law enforcement, they will usually be quite happy to work with you. We would have them bring their carry gear in for the suit fittings. It made a world of difference, in both comfort and longevity. Their duty gear rode much better, and their suits lasted much longer. Especially the suit linings. There is a special type of acetate lining for suit coats and sportcoats, often referred to as bemberg acetate. It's that slick stuff that allows the suit to slide on and off very easily. Your tailor can open the lining, insert some soft canvas or cloth, then resew the acetate. If it's a light color, they can replace it with a black acetate.

This will dramatically help the drape of the garment. Also, watch for pinstipes. They can show the bulge of a pistol, rather than hide it. Patterns such as glen plaids or solid colors are better at concealment.

If you carry an ankle holster, they can allow for that on the "break", which is the amount of crease or fold, where the front of the pants leg meets the top of the shoe.

If you know any local homicide investigators, ask them where they get their suits altered. We had a fair number of them come in, and they were good about carefully investing their OT pay.
    Last edited by SeriousStudent; 11-25-2012 at 09:57 PM. Reason: bad spellur

Quote Originally Posted by derekb View Post
    Out of idle curiosity, can you provide more details on this? Is it just a matter of going to your tailer with your belt and gun, or can you offer specific things to ask for?
    The last time I needed suits done I established a relationship with a senior guy at a Men's Warehouse. I made arrangements to come in and be fitted by a tailor with my load out with the suits that were selected by me and the guy I worked with (who was OUTSTANDING to deal with). I was really impressed and I know they do a lot of L/E guys in investigative assignments. The only issue I have now is Men's Warehouse supporting Occupy Oakland.....I won't use them again as a choice of money support, not how I was treated. I had used a small tailor and alterations shop in the past that was also great. I just talked to them ahead of time and asked how they would like to do the fitting and it worked well. A little courtesy and good communications go a long way.

The main thing is to get some room to bend over without the butt of the pistol printing and you can also get lining put in to prevent wear from magazines and other items. I also do heavily reinforced belt loops and have them spaced where I need them. I will also get buttons put in for suspenders as well to help support a full working load out on a high threat assignment.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

User Tag List