Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Charter Arms ? .40 snubbie

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    The 646 was never under consideration. The 10mm/.40 Nightguard and 610s were the Smiths I looked at.
    Ah. Disregard, then.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Why? You take an already marginal revolver, and then we are going to really tempt fate and get it in an auto cartridge. Even REALLY good guns can suck ass when you start putting things with moon clips in them. I went down this road with a Smith 625 ONCE....never again. The old Charter Arms Bulldogs and PUGs were a good back up or ankle gun to shoot a few rounds through once in a while and then leave them alone.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Charter Arms is the only brand that a gun store employee has ever outright refused to sell to me.

Clue.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Charter Arms is the only brand that a gun store employee has ever outright refused to sell to me.

Clue.
    Wow! Normally the Standard Gunshop Procedure is to claim that any cheap gun shaped bit-O-metal behind the counter is every bit as good as the more expensive gun it looks like. That he didn't try to say it was as good as a S&W...

Not everyone is professional enough to own a .40 Charter.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    The Smith 646's have their own problems...

Two thicknesses of moon clips to account for differing case head dimensions, sticky extraction from the titanium cylinders. That, and they're worth more these days as collector's items than any sort of practical shooters.
    I know a few shooters that love them for revolver division in USPSA.
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    Why? You take an already marginal revolver, and then we are going to really tempt fate and get it in an auto cartridge. Even REALLY good guns can suck ass when you start putting things with moon clips in them. I went down this road with a Smith 625 ONCE....never again. The old Charter Arms Bulldogs and PUGs were a good back up or ankle gun to shoot a few rounds through once in a while and then leave them alone.
    I love moon clipped revolvers. If I were to carry a revolver for self defense and could not use an auto it would be my JM 625. You can reload it so much faster than a revolver with speed loaders. In fact the matches I have used it in I was able to only place a few places lower than normal. With my 19 using speed loaders I usually end up on the bottom of the pack due to poor reloading speed.
    Here is the difference.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9x87wXNIjGk
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TF6GzC1LtfU

Speedloaders are not nearly as easy to use as moon clips.
    Pat

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaskapopo View Post
    I know a few shooters that love them for revolver division in USPSA.
    Pat
    Of course. They were designed as gamer guns and their shortcomings can be worked around, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. (For example, going with gamer loads reduces the extraction stickiness issue, and competition shooters don't usually mind anally sorting brass for rim thickness...)
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskapopo View Post
    I love moon clipped revolvers. If I were to carry a revolver for self defense and could not use an auto it would be my JM 625. You can reload it so much faster than a revolver with speed loaders. In fact the matches I have used it in I was able to only place a few places lower than normal. With my 19 using speed loaders I usually end up on the bottom of the pack due to poor reloading speed.
    Here is the difference.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9x87wXNIjGk
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TF6GzC1LtfU

Speedloaders are not nearly as easy to use as moon clips.
    Pat
    My brand new purchased, un-modified, S&W Model of 1988 rarely would get through all six rounds with getting all of them to go bang with either training or factory duty loads. I kept my S&W 25-7 Model of 1989 .45 Colt and shot competition with it and carried it defensively. THAT ONE was one that I staked my life on.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Banned
    Noticed a small .40 revolver on Gunbroker tonight made by that fine SA company Taurus. Never owned a Charter Arms or a Taurus so I don't know if that is a step up from Charter or not ?

User Tag List