Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Charter Arms ? .40 snubbie

Banned

Charter Arms ? .40 snubbie

There are currently a few of the Charter Arms .40 revolvers on Gunbroker. Does anyone have any experience with one of these ? If not for the past reputation of the company I would probably already own one of these but there is that doubt from past stories about their handguns.

In the words of Admiral Akbar, "It's a trap!"

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    If you were to ask me, I would tell you that Charter revolvers are wretched pulsating balls of suck and fail and don't waste your money.

The company has gone out of business three times now. Perhaps the next time it does, somebody will remember to put a stake through its heart.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

In the early nineties, I had a first reincarnation Bulldog which had an OK trigger that I used for a few years as a pocket gun until one day I noticed that the frame had loosened up, for lack of a better term. Considering that it was not shot heavily, this does not speak well of their metallurgy. Out of idle curiosity, I looked at a newer generation Charter that a local gun shop had on the shelf and it had very poor fit and finish. I believe they also have less resale value than a cheap boat anchor.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Charter Arms sucks monkey balls to be frank. If a snubbie is what ye seek, a J frame .38 or LCR is what you need.

Quote Originally Posted by NEPAKevin View Post
    In the early nineties, I had a first reincarnation Bulldog which had an OK trigger that I used for a few years as a pocket gun until one day I noticed that the frame had loosened up, for lack of a better term. Considering that it was not shot heavily, this does not speak well of their metallurgy.
    Yup. I had a Bulldog from... I think it was the "Charco" incarnation of the company back around the same time period. ~300 rounds of ammo, mostly PMC 240gr loads, stretched the frame enough that the nickel was coming off the topstrap in big patches and endshake had increased noticeably. Also, the screw retaining the cylinder latch would back out under recoil. Do not recommend.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Yup. I had a Bulldog from... I think it was the "Charco"
    Mine was also a nickel Charco in .44 Special that was retrofitted with a bobbed hammer. Mostly ran Federal 200gr LSWCHPs through it. Aside from David Berkowitz and some wanna-be bangers, I don't think there are many Carter fanboys out there.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Banned
    My brother has one in 38 spec made in the early days of the original company that is still going but it doesn't get a lot of rounds. From what I can find out the new ones are not all that much to brag on.

I already have the J frame and the only reason I asked about the CA is the caliber. The Smiths in .40 are over a grand and if I am paying that it is going to take at least a 15 round magazine.

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    The Smiths in .40 are over a grand and if I am paying that it is going to take at least a 15 round magazine.
    The Smith 646's have their own problems...

Two thicknesses of moon clips to account for differing case head dimensions, sticky extraction from the titanium cylinders. That, and they're worth more these days as collector's items than any sort of practical shooters.

Banned
    The 646 was never under consideration. The 10mm/.40 Nightguard and 610s were the Smiths I looked at.

User Tag List