Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 24

Thread: Very Low Recoil Defense loads for shotgun

  1. #11
    Site Supporter
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    In the desert, looking for water.
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Nothing exists in "Low Recoil" 20-gauge land. Therefore, nothing exists in "Very Low Recoil" land for 20-gauge.
    Point of order: Low recoil 20 gauge loads do exist, as 20 gauge loads exist ranging from under 1000fps to 1600fps. For example, this trap load is 980fps: https://winchester.com/Products/Ammu...ell/AA/AA20FL8 and is marketed as low noise and low recoil.

    If they can make a trap load that is deliberately low noise and recoil, it stands to reason they can figure out a low recoil buckshot or slug load. I have not seen such a low recoil buck or slug in 20g (1145fps is the lowest velocity buck load I have seen), but all that is required is enough people to want it, and a company to make it to fill that demand.

  2. #12
    The R in F.A.R.T RevolverRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Gotham Adjacent
    Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Point of order: Low recoil 20 gauge loads do exist, as 20 gauge loads exist ranging from under 1000fps to 1600fps. For example, this trap load is 980fps: https://winchester.com/Products/Ammu...ell/AA/AA20FL8 and is marketed as low noise and low recoil.

    If they can make a trap load that is deliberately low noise and recoil, it stands to reason they can figure out a low recoil buckshot or slug load. I have not seen such a low recoil buck or slug in 20g (1145fps is the lowest velocity buck load I have seen), but all that is required is enough people to want it, and a company to make it to fill that demand.
    I'm not sure if things under 1150fps can run the various autoloaders reliably. But your point is taken.

    We also have to remember though that most shotgun loads are chronographed from 28" barrels and the ~25-50fps per inch of barrel muzzle velocity of pistols is similar to shotguns (unsurprising since they often use powders of similar burn rates). So a trap load that is 980fps from a 28" gun, may be ~750fps from an 18" barrel.

    Actually, that sounds pretty nice ~800fps from a 21" 870 would be a nice comfortable load to shoot all day long.

  3. #13
    Site Supporter
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    Kansas
    Well shit. Iíve got two cases of this stuff. I bought several boxes of the OO in 2020, and it really patterns pretty well considering. So I bought a couple cases of this stuff from PSA, and everything on the box is the same except that specification of it being OO. Definitely didnít notice it when I got the first case, and havenít shot any of it yet. Hopefully it patterns decent still, though it really was purchased namely as a training load being FFC is spendy.

  4. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Point of order: Low recoil 20 gauge loads do exist, as 20 gauge loads exist ranging from under 1000fps to 1600fps. For example, this trap load is 980fps: https://winchester.com/Products/Ammu...ell/AA/AA20FL8 and is marketed as low noise and low recoil.

    If they can make a trap load that is deliberately low noise and recoil, it stands to reason they can figure out a low recoil buckshot or slug load. I have not seen such a low recoil buck or slug in 20g (1145fps is the lowest velocity buck load I have seen), but all that is required is enough people to want it, and a company to make it to fill that demand.
    I believe this came up in the thread about Federal's new 20ga FC #2 buckshot load. They couldn't pull too much off the velocity or it would compromise the load's ability to penetrate the target reliably. In 12 gauge where we are typically working with 00, a lot more steam can be pulled off and still maintain reliably penetration of the target.

    With enough effort, I am sure someone could figure it out though. At least a little bit.

  5. #15
    Are the Brenneke THDs actually low recoil, or simply lower recoil compared to their other offerings?

    I'll note that the THDs do come in 20 gauge, though obviously it's a slug and not shot.

  6. #16
    Forgot to quote, see reply below.

  7. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    Are the Brenneke THDs actually low recoil, or simply lower recoil compared to their other offerings?

    I'll note that the THDs do come in 20 gauge, though obviously it's a slug and not shot.
    They feel close to low recoil Fed Truball.

  8. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    They feel close to low recoil Fed Truball.
    Are the THD like regular brenneke slugs or foster type?

  9. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Dov View Post
    Are the THD like regular brenneke slugs or foster type?
    Brenneke.

  10. #20
    I have a couple boxes of the Brenneke THD slugs I picked up a while back, but I havenít shot any yet. The box states 1509 fps! My GO TO slug for range use is Fiocchi low recoil which claims 1150 fps. It shoots pretty soft, is reasonably priced, and usually available at my stores.

    Iíve also shot the Federal low recoil stuff and it shot well. I didnít do a side by side with the Fiocchi though. The Federal claims 1300 fps.

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •