Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Grease vs oil

Rgr, was thinking it may be like coolant in the CNC machine. It gets bacteria in it and if you touch it and then your eye etc etc it can get ugly!

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    That's one of the most under-appreciated functions of good lubrication. It takes the stuff that makes guns choke and flows it away from the parts that can choke. That pumping action is highly beneficial. Grease grabs that stuff and holds on to it.
    Theoretically, I agree that oil can have this function. Functioning in this capacity in a pistol, shotgun, rifle, etc....where does the 'pumping' force or mechanism originate to have this action? In automobiles, etc. which use oil for various mechanisms, there is an oil reservoir, pump, lines, filters etc. which all work together to maintain the oil quality and consistency of protecting parts. There are no such components in pistols to circulate oil, so where is it going and how is it getting there. Where does this 'contaminate' actually end up if it were actually being carried away (no filter).

In short, you are describing how oil function in a SEALED system which is designed to freely circulate. In our application, we are dealing with a very UNSEALED system which is guaranteed to be exposed to contaminate. My understanding is that is the exact type of system for which grease is recommended (unsealed).

Quote Originally Posted by RealSelf View Post
    Theoretically, I agree that oil can have this function. Functioning in this capacity in a pistol, shotgun, rifle, etc....where does the 'pumping' force or mechanism originate to have this action? In automobiles, etc. which use oil for various mechanisms, there is an oil reservoir, pump, lines, filters etc. which all work together to maintain the oil quality and consistency of protecting parts. There are no such components in pistols to circulate oil, so where is it going and how is it getting there. Where does this 'contaminate' actually end up if it were actually being carried away (no filter).

In short, you are describing how oil function in a SEALED system which is designed to freely circulate. In our application, we are dealing with a very UNSEALED system which is guaranteed to be exposed to contaminate. My understanding is that is the exact type of system for which grease is recommended (unsealed).
    In my experience, from in to out! Applying oil is the in. In high round count and dirty conditions the out would be a sludge exuding from the weapon. If the sludge and internals starts to get dry from having no source oil, you could feel the weapon start to slow down. A wipe and MORE OIL in and back to business with a return in function.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RealSelf View Post
    Oil that is in a high pressure area will move toward low pressure areas. And take crud that shouldn't be there with it.

You put it there.

You shoot.

It leaves, taking stuff you don't want there with it.

You apply more.

Let's not overcomplicate this.
    3/15/2016

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    ...Let's not overcomplicate this.
    I lube guns with whatever is closest in the workshop. But I do grease pistols because I'm tired of oil drips/stains. At the range, I'll just pull the dipstick out of my or a buddy's car and dab that on whatever is too dry. If a friend's, I won't warn them and enjoy their confusion as I pop the hood and seemingly start checking their oil between strings of fire.

User Tag List