Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Options for police at these universities?

I always liked the idea of horse mounted police with batons.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Does anyone know which NYPD unit it is that I'm starting to see deploying for these festivities? I noticed there are no chubby folks amongst them so perhaps it's some type of street crime or special unit intermediary between regular patrol officers and ESU.
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Quote Originally Posted by FNFAN View Post
    Does anyone know which NYPD unit it is that I'm starting to see deploying for these festivities? I noticed there are no chubby folks amongst them so perhaps it's some type of street crime or special unit intermediary between regular patrol officers and ESU.

Back in the day it was the historic TPF, (Tactical Patrol Force). Those guys were serious.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Back in the day it was the historic TPF, (Tactical Patrol Force). Those guys were serious.
    Thank You! It's just the last few months that I've become aware of them. They looks somewhat squared away.
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Site Supporter
    I believe the unit is the Strategic Response Group, a unit that the NYCLU wants disbanded and AOC calls violent. You can judge a person's character by their enemies.

Doing some more digging, it looks like the folks are from the 'Community Response Team" which could be some other unit rebranded to take away the controversy. It's fascinating to see the more out-of-the-box thinking at NYPD like the "Hercules" team.

Thank You! It's just the last few months that I've become aware of them. They looks somewhat squared away.
    Doing some more digging, it looks like the folks are from the 'Community Response Team" which could be some other unit rebranded to take away the controversy. It's fascinating to see the more out-of-the-box thinking at NYPD like the "Hercules" team.
    Strategic Response Group is still around and is still the primary riot control unit, and were present at these events. When not engaged in riots, they're generally assigned out to various parts of the city to boost regular enforcement/patrol operations. They're a descendent of the old Tactical Patrol Unit that Blues mentioned, but there's been some iterations between now and then. The SRG on its own is one of the biggest police forces in America. In 2023, NYPD's budget crisis basically forced them to nearly disband the Critical Response Command, a separate unit of the Counter-Terrorism Bureau which was basically an anti-terrorism/force protection gig...if you ever saw NYPD cops standing around soft targets in helmets, plate carriers, with M4 carbines...those were probably CRC. Now that they're a fraction of what they used to be (~50 of the original 500-strong size, unless NYPD reversed their order from September 2023 to cut the unit to 50), SRG has to pick up some of that slack. When CRC and SRG were both around, they had some overlap with responding to terrorism, active shooters, that sort of thing.

The cops in the tan pants are the Community Response Team, which was established last year, and was also present at these events. This is a distinctly different unit than the ones wearing royal-blue shirts/jackets, called Community Affairs. The latter are the kumbaya effort, and will typically also be present at these events to establish/maintain communications with a given protest group and attempt reason with people.....the former, Community Response Team, is NYPDs workaround to having their Anti-Crime teams disbanded by the de-policing efforts from 2020. They're not full Anti-Crime like the days of yore, but are generally tasked to proactively enforce specific issues. So, they'll show up at civil disturbances as well since they can be redirected from situation to situation easier than trying to reorganize the other 30,000 cops, which would leave those other basic services unattended.

None of this is terribly unique. LAPD has the long standing Metro division which is analogous. Philly PD's Highway Patrol is basically the same thing, since they don't police the highways anymore. Anti-Crime is a pretty widespread name/concept, and at smaller departments the Anti-Crime unit might be the combined gangs/drugs/warrants/vice unit all wrapped into one due to size. At smaller PDs, you might just have a "swing shift", and your swing shift are the guys you treat like a pinball machine to go from issue-to-issue as needed so that the basic patrol shift services remain intact. NYPD has the uniqueness of being more than 30,000 cops, so you end up with centralized units to deal with specific duties, which on their own that are bigger than 99% of the PDs in America....but what they're doing is pretty standard.

ETA: Just remembered you're LE. Sorry, I didn't intend to teach you something you already know...but I'll leave the post as-is for others outside LE reading it.
    Last edited by TGS; 05-03-2024 at 02:21 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Strategic Response Group is still around and is still the primary riot control unit, and were present at these events. When not engaged in riots, they're generally assigned out to various parts of the city to boost regular enforcement/patrol operations. They're a descendent of the old Tactical Patrol Unit that Blues mentioned, but there's been some iterations between now and then. The SRG on its own is one of the biggest police forces in America. In 2023, NYPD's budget crisis basically forced them to nearly disband the Critical Response Command, a separate unit of the Counter-Terrorism Bureau which was basically an anti-terrorism/force protection gig...if you ever saw NYPD cops standing around soft targets in helmets, plate carriers, with M4 carbines...those were probably CRC. Now that they're a fraction of what they used to be (~50 of the original 500-strong size, unless NYPD reversed their order from September 2023 to cut the unit to 50), SRG has to pick up some of that slack. When CRC and SRG were both around, they had some overlap with responding to terrorism, active shooters, that sort of thing.

The cops in the tan pants are the Community Response Team, which was established last year, and was also present at these events. This is a distinctly different unit than the ones wearing royal-blue shirts/jackets, called Community Affairs. The latter are the kumbaya effort, and will typically also be present at these events to establish/maintain communications with a given protest group and attempt reason with people.....the former, Community Response Team, is NYPDs workaround to having their Anti-Crime teams disbanded by the de-policing efforts from 2020. They're not full Anti-Crime like the days of yore, but are generally tasked to proactively enforce specific issues. So, they'll show up at civil disturbances as well since they can be redirected from situation to situation easier than trying to reorganize the other 30,000 cops, which would leave those other basic services unattended.

None of this is terribly unique. LAPD has the long standing Metro division which is analogous. Philly PD's Highway Patrol is basically the same thing, since they don't police the highways anymore. Anti-Crime is a pretty widespread name/concept, and at smaller departments the Anti-Crime unit might be the combined gangs/drugs/warrants/vice unit all wrapped into one due to size. At smaller PDs, you might just have a "swing shift", and your swing shift are the guys you treat like a pinball machine to go from issue-to-issue as needed so that the basic patrol shift services remain intact. NYPD has the uniqueness of being more than 30,000 cops, so you end up with centralized units to deal with specific duties, which on their own that are bigger than 99% of the PDs in America....but what they're doing is pretty standard.

ETA: Just remembered you're LE. Sorry, I didn't intend to teach you something you already know...but I'll leave the post as-is for others outside LE reading it.
    Thanks for your very comprehensive response! Great info as usual!

Community Response Team I like the sound of that.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by camsdaddy View Post
    I think if they tested the fire trucks for water pressure on a few of these campuses many would find something else to do with their time.
    Reminded me of when I was a kid. Situation: small town, Fourth of July celebration at the county park.

Along with the greased pig chase, greased pole climb, etc., there was the big stack of watermelons that kids were allowed to rush in and carry off. The only "problem" was that the local fire truck was there spraying them with a blast of water. The ground got soggy, the kids got soaked and knocked over by the water blast, dropping melons and getting filthy. It was a total melee. The pressure was of course lowered and the nozzle opened to more of a spray pattern, but the volume was sufficient to topple some of the kids. I don't remember, but I'm sure there were age limits, both on the young and old ages. But it was great fun, and lasted until all the watermelons were gone, although it sometimes took a small squirt (of water) for the smaller squirts (kids) to "win".

To my knowledge, no kids were ever hurt (the firemen were careful, and again, the pressure was kept down), and it drew the crowds, exceeded only by the aforementioned greased pig chase. If you think a small piglet, well greased, is easy to catch, and carry, you should attend one of these.

Back to the originally scheduled programming . . .

User Tag List