Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Enigma + G17 = cut knuckles?

Quote Originally Posted by useruser0 View Post
    Newbie here. I'm practicing holster draws with my new Phlster Enigma and keep cutting the middle knuckle of the middle finger on my draw hand on either the Enigma's Tegris material or else the edges on the wing. I think I have longish fingers? Do I need to add some backstrap to my G17 (currently running with none) to move my knuckle to the side? Maybe my draw technique is just terrible and I'm doing something fundamentally incorrect?

Holding it like shown below is comfortable to me and is what I'm used to outside the holster. But I end up cutting myself as I try to bury my hand and build that grip. I think the negative feedback is causing me to build a worse grip. Please feel free to constructively critique...
    I would reach out to Phlster. They have a very active facebook group as well as responding directly from their site.

Site Supporter
    The way you’re drawing probably effects this, I’ve had better luck attacking the draw from the bottom of the grip up, kind of like what Gabe White does, when working from a lower ride height. This seems to put my knuckles behind the belt line earlier.

It’ll probably be easier to just angle the faceplate of the enigma down though. That’ll give you more clearance between the grip and faceplate, you may need to change which mounting holes you use to keep the same pressures on the holster though.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by MickAK View Post
    That's a good point, and it would have been better if I mentioned that any modifications will void your warranty.

My experience is that using a high speed high heat method like a flap wheel to take down edges doesn't cause delamination issues. Not much material is being removed and the heat of the process seems to seal the edge. Phlster specifically recommends against this, or any cutting, drilling, or sanding of the material. That's what the 'pappoose' line of products was developed for. But I view it as just part of putting reasonably priced products out in commercial quantities and I'm used to modifying products for my needs.

I'll be more careful with warranty voiding advice in the future.
    I like this mindset. If I was the OP and committed to that setup. I would mod the sh*t out of it to make it work. How does Phlster cut them? There has to be a method.

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
    I like this mindset. If I was the OP and committed to that setup. I would mod the sh*t out of it to make it work. How does Phlster cut them? There has to be a method.
    They’re laser cut which seals the edges. Phlster has a video on YouTube explaining why they don’t want people cutting the faceplates.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

I've seen a lot of pictures of taped up enigmas using moleskin, gaf, and friction tape. There are some posts on the phlster FB group about your exact issue.

Quote Originally Posted by MGW View Post
    OP is that the Express?
    It's the OS. With their Pro holster.

Quote Originally Posted by camsdaddy View Post
    I would reach out to Phlster. They have a very active facebook group as well as responding directly from their site.
    Was trying to avoid FB, but didn't think about trying to reach them other ways. Good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Hstanton1 View Post
    The way you’re drawing probably effects this, I’ve had better luck attacking the draw from the bottom of the grip up, kind of like what Gabe White does, when working from a lower ride height. This seems to put my knuckles behind the belt line earlier.

It’ll probably be easier to just angle the faceplate of the enigma down though. That’ll give you more clearance between the grip and faceplate, you may need to change which mounting holes you use to keep the same pressures on the holster though.
    Good ideas.

No matter which Enigma/holster/mount points combo you have there is usually a bit of play in the mount points that allow you to slightly tilt the grip away from the Enigma wing... It doesn't take much to create additional clearance. Loosen your mounting bolts and experiment a little.

User Tag List