Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Non political disucussion about states with looming AWBs

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    What would you buy? Just parts? Mags? Receivers? Not AR specific.
    When Wa enacted the law it was so vague people bought small parts kits, including pistol grips and pic mounted sights and BCGs and triggers. Dealers weren't sure if they could even replace worn parts legally. Now anything not including the lower can be replaced but no threaded barrels......I think

In Wa one can bring back any magazines or guns that are out of state as long as one owned them before the ban. We can also freely use any legally owned standard capacity mags and gats.....currently I'm sure they will change this as every other ban state has when they claim crime did not lower because standard cap mags are still out there.

No transfer of banned guns (other than one generation of family) and magazines.

One should acquire semi shotguns.

As a side note shops are selling a shit ton of cheap pumps (junk) as people who will buy a 2K DD won't spend a G on a A300

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    When Wa enacted the law it was so vague people bought small parts kits, including pistol grips and pic mounted sights and BCGs and triggers. Dealers weren't sure if they could even replace worn parts legally. Now anything not including the lower can be replaced but no threaded barrels......I think
    Vague is being charitable. I really got caught in a pincer, due to the ATF pistol brace deal and WA’s abstract ban happening all at once. I NEEDED to get a new naked pistol buffer tube, and nobody would ship the parts to WA during all the uncertainty. It took some fancy dancing, and the help of a good friend (and fellow P-F’er) from a neighboring state to help me stay in compliance with the shit storm of new law/interpretation/flightoffancy headed my way.

So far as I know, I’m in compliance with everything, but it wasn’t easy.

And, yeah, the A300 patrol looks pretty good in this scenario. So long as grandfathering still holds, I’m good through and up to the ‘boog, so whatever, but I’d most def be doing redundant new-thought gauges if I had nothing.

Anyways, I digress…
    The most powerful and harmful influence Trump has had on our politics…has been the effect on his opponents. They have been triggered into an orgy of self-mutilation—eager to amputate their own history and disfigure their own political traditions.

IL’s ban makes it so we can’t even get parts like a bolt carrier group or barrel sent here. If your state is considering one of these I’d read it carefully and don’t underestimate the importance of consumable parts besides mags. And at a certain point, decide if it’s cheaper/easier to just buy spare rifles.

Now, here is my issue. There’s no amount of spare parts or even spare guns that makes me feel comfortable in this situation for the rest of my life. I hear the arguments about how if we run from these we’ll run out of places to run to. And I get it, really I do. But I’m tired of living around people who don’t want to let me live my life on my terms. Colorado or Virginia might be different situations, but I’m having a hard time coming up with reasons to stay in IL any more.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    IL’s ban makes it so we can’t even get parts like a bolt carrier group or barrel sent here. If your state is considering one of these I’d read it carefully and don’t underestimate the importance of consumable parts besides mags. And at a certain point, decide if it’s cheaper/easier to just buy spare rifles.

Now, here is my issue. There’s no amount of spare parts or even spare guns that makes me feel comfortable in this situation for the rest of my life. I hear the arguments about how if we run from these we’ll run out of places to run to. And I get it, really I do. But I’m tired of living around people who don’t want to let me live my life on my terms. Colorado or Virginia might be different situations, but I’m having a hard time coming up with reasons to stay in IL any more.
    I left IL in 2000, I saw the writing on the wall but am sad that it came to pass.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    ...kind of. ISP has clarified that handguards are good to go, as they're "essential for function" or some similar phrasing. Some vendors (not the ISP) have extended that to include BCG's, triggers and other parts that, while AR-specific, are also "essential for function".

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    The bolded part is not correct.
    I just went and re-read and searched the text of the latest draft… the .22 rimfire exemption is only for tubular magazines.
    Dang, well that's lame as hell. Guess it's worth keeping .22s on the buy list then, if you don't already have a 10-22, 15-22 or similar.

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    The bolded part is not correct.
    I just went and re-read and searched the text of the latest draft… the .22 rimfire exemption is only for tubular magazines.
    This is getting bad.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    Seriously, NJ bans are flat out bans. If you own it, too bad, get rid of it.
    Yeah I don't think there's a general strategy. I would expect bans in e.g. NJ and CO to be very different.

Abroad, people use airsoft parts to build FGC-9s. I would expect regardless of verbiage getting things like hammer springs would be a whack-a-mole game until the end of time.

For an AR I'd gently vet 4 or 5 magazines, check headspace on a spare bolt, and probably just throw in a LPK. Honestly, having lived through the last federal ban most people who already had theirs really reduced how much they were using them because of how valuable they became. I mean Glock mags were going for a hundred bucks a pop, without accounting for inflation. Aluminum AR mags, even ratty, worn out ones were like $30.

It's one thing to consume consumables when they're cheap. It's a bigger mental hurdle to do that when they're not. Even if stacking it deep so you could continue competing/training/etc was the whole reason you did it in the first place.

Site Supporter
    As we recently began contemplating moving, one destination SWMBO liked was in Colorado. One reason I was not in favor of it, but not the reason we didn’t decide to move there, was the current capacity restrictions and my lack of interest in re-homing boxes full of larger than 15 round magazines.

If I lived somewhere that an outright ban was coming, I would inventory my current holdings and buy anything I thought I would want to have in the future, ever.

And think about moving - but that’s not what you asked. I thought you were already looking to move?

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    As we recently began contemplating moving, one destination SWMBO liked was in Colorado. One reason I was not in favor of it, but not the reason we didn’t decide to move there, was the current capacity restrictions and my lack of interest in re-homing boxes full of larger than 15 round magazines.

If I lived somewhere that an outright ban was coming, I would inventory my current holdings and buy anything I thought I would want to have in the future, ever.

And think about moving - but that’s not what you asked. I thought you were already looking to move?
    For what it's worth regarding the mag law in CO, as long as you owned it before the ban date, 1Jul2013, you can still have it. The law doesn't specify that you had to own it in the state of Colorado.

Of course the burden of proof is on the prosecutor, so if you've got mags with no date stamps, how are they gonna prove anything? (Absent designs that weren't on the market at that time, like the CZ Scorpion, etc.)

User Tag List