Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Easiest shooting 9mm for small hands? Dedicated home defense application.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    You can also address recoil with ammo selection -- PMC 115 is accurate, clean and pretty mild shooting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    This is a great point. HST147 is relatively soft and not super loud.
    Thanks, I'm going to grab a couple cases of the PMC to try out. My daughter used to like shooting the cheap Russian steel cased 9mm in the M&P 2.0 because it was a little less snappy. Maybe PMC will fill that niche.

She was often a little more accurate with the 9mm Shield. I think it had a lot to do with the reduced trigger reach. But the shield does recoil significantly more, so it's less fun to practice with as the round count goes up.

The 147 grain P9HST2 has been my carry load for years because it shoots like practice ammo and has worked great in my guns. Although, I do swap out for 124+P Gold Dots in the woods sometimes because I think they penetrate a little more and are bonded. Can't go wrong with either of those if your gun likes them.

Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    I run a P320 with the small grip module for work. It gives me about the same trigger reach as my previous G19 without any back straps. If a G19 is too large for your daughter to reach the trigger while maintaining a good grip, the P320 won’t be any better. The P365X Macro might be better. I don’t have a lot of time on the Macro frames yet.They will recoil a little harder than a larger gun. How is your daughter responding to the concussion of a gunshot? As mentioned earlier, the P365 AXG Legion is an option too. It’s about 3 oz heavier than the Macro TacOps so recoil should be lessened just due to the weight increase even without the comp portion. The comp should also lessen recoil but the concussion would increase.
    Good to know about the P320 grip size, thanks. I'm not too interested in comps for exactly the reason you state. What they take away in recoil they tend to add back in blast. I find them obnoxious on an AR. I'm looking for the overall most pleasant shooting experience. I should just buy a suppressor, but I've never wanted to deal with the paperwork and associated hassle.

Maybe the Macro is worth experimenting with. We could try adding weight with a WML and grip accessories, and if she doesn't like it, I know I will.

I suppose I could also just try putting a X300 or TLR-1 on the M&P 2.0 and load it with 115 PMC. That and a Phlster Floodlight 2 would work for most full size pistols.

Site Supporter
    What about an S&W Equalizer? Good capacity in a small grip. Yes there is a grip safety, but that does have certain advantages if she can activate it with ease.

The CZ P-07 can be used with small hands.

Even a Springfield XD might be worth a look, especially the updated ones. Yes it’s not a high quality gun like others, but if it’s not going to be shot a ton, it might be worth a look.

Is a revolver an option?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    You can also address recoil with ammo selection -- PMC 115 is accurate, clean and pretty mild shooting.
    This is a great point. HST147 is relatively soft and not super loud.
    PMC is super soft as far as target loads go. I haven’t shot enough 124 and 147 HST side by side to offer much, but I’ve found them fairly light. Ranger Bonded 147 has been one I’ve found to be very mild, though some may not care for the performance of the projectile as much.

I’m personally intrigued by the Shield plus for some like your daughter, though we’ve helped hook the step daughter and MIL up with P365’s and a stack of the X length mags. The 43x would also be similar, but my example has a very stiff trigger and recoil is indeed snappy.

Quote Originally Posted by spence View Post
    PMC is super soft as far as target loads go. I haven’t shot enough 124 and 147 HST side by side to offer much, but I’ve found them fairly light. Ranger Bonded 147 has been one I’ve found to be very mild, though some may not care for the performance of the projectile as much.

I’m personally intrigued by the Shield plus for some like your daughter, though we’ve helped hook the step daughter and MIL up with P365’s and a stack of the X length mags. The 43x would also be similar, but my example has a very stiff trigger and recoil is indeed snappy.
    I'm not a fan of the Shield (the ergos don't work for me), and haven't tried the Plus. I like a stiff, relatively heavy trigger for this application. These little guns shouldn't be too easy to fire under stress. Fortunately my daughter doesn't care about recoil. She just lets it happen. If she were recoil shy, I'd get her a Glock 42.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Walther has 30 day guarantee, full refund if you don't like it. Hard to argue with this and the fact that the PDP-F is likely the most suited handgun for her that is not along the lines of a G43/P365/PPS/etc. Trigger reach will always be a problem for small hands and most any double stack is going to be less than ideal there. Even some of the slimline pistols don't exactly have what I'd call a short trigger reach, sure, they have less circumference in the frame but the triggers still seem to be designed for more average sized male hands.

The argument for the 365 is the same 365 FCU can become a min form factory carry gun, with or without an optic, and also work in a full size Macro configuration.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    I'm not a fan of the Shield (the ergos don't work for me), and haven't tried the Plus. I like a stiff, relatively heavy trigger for this application. These little guns shouldn't be too easy to fire under stress. Fortunately my daughter doesn't care about recoil. She just lets it happen. If she were recoil shy, I'd get her a Glock 42.
    I’m not a real fan of the Shield, either, but after fondling the plus, I am curious. My Gen 3 Glock is around 7#, and the serrated trigger on the 43x is even stouter yet. The 365 is probably my favorite as far as bone stock (small) striker fired guns. I also may be somewhat biased because I almost exclusively shoot a well tuned 92, so little striker fired guns are a bit more of an anomaly.

I would consider the S&W Equalizer & add a TLR7 or something, can be had with an external safety if wanted, besides grip safety
    Missed if it was maybe to be carried or not

Every noobish woman I have taken shooting likes the Taurus G3c it fits the hands well, the trigger take up is long and safer, has a safety. G3X and G3Xl were no safety options. GX4 Carry also has a defined wall and Trigger Dingus Safety with no Sig Mush Oops

Now for stuff with trigger systems less likely to go bang when not sure
    Walther P99c might fit the bill, or p99 final edition if you can't find a 9mm c

Personally I would like a p30SK with LEM trigger

Safer and less recoil Better Old School Metal DAO 239 or 3953 I think it is if not carried

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    p30SK with LEM trigger
    Great suggestion. Light LEM might be even better. IME, heavy DA triggers can be especially challenging for those lacking hand strength--that is to say most women.

Name:  fig4-e1424910158531.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  19.1 KB
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

User Tag List