Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Easiest shooting 9mm for small hands? Dedicated home defense application.

Quote Originally Posted by frozentundra View Post
    Just looking for the most pleasant to shoot 9mm pistol that most optimally fits very small hand geometry at this time.
    9mm 1911
    Beretta 92X or Vertec
    Hi-Power
    CZ-75B/CZ-75SA/SP-01/Shadow2 along with thin grips in Condition One.
    Sig P226/P229 with an E2 grip and SRT.

The only polymer handgun that I think has a significantly low recoil impulse and superb ergonomics is the HK P30, but it's still no match to the above.

I've gone through the changing interests of a daughter as she gets older. She has never liked firearms, but loves soccer and volleyball. She still plays soccer in the adult rec league.

As far as a firearm for your daughter, ultimately she decides what she wants or not. She has a history of shooting and that is a plus in her decision making. Try out different different calibers and pistols and let her make the choice.

One of the biggest things I had to accept with my daughter was that once she graduated from college, she took a job 5 hours away in a different state. Not close to home anymore. Now that took some getting use to.

Site Supporter
    Glock 48?

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    Not sure how many 17-year-old daughters you’ve had in the past, but you should probably consider what she really wants not what you really want her to do.

As a side note, How many people are actually finished with their training by the age of 18?

From my experience, you’re gonna have to give her some leeway in what she wants to do in life not what you want her to do.

For shooters who are bored they buy a new gun to renew their interest so they can be gun of the week or gun rotation guy whatever but buying for somebody who’s not interested in shooting is not going to fix what you perceive as problem.

Whether you want to hear it or not, a new gun is not going to fix what’s NOT wrong with your daughter. Instead of focusing on trying to figure out what gun that you think she wants, why don’t you focus on her. It won’t be long and she will have moved out and you won’t see her much anymore as is the nature of young adults.

Good luck
    As a father of girls myself, this is undoubtedly the most honest and practical post in the thread.

If she ain't into shooting, buying her a new gun or platform that she may like more isn't going to change her view. The girls probably go shoot with you because they like spending time with dad, if they already have a gun that they shoot well and they like, just go ahead and stick with that and try to get as much range time in as you can while they are still with you. If they like the M&P then you've already answered your own question. Someone who isn't into guns is not going to appreciate the distinction between one striker fired polymer gun to another, nor would a 5% difference in recoil even be noticed.

Maybe you should consider the fact that you are asking her to do "higher volume practice" when she wants to just go hang out with her friends may be a contributing factor to her disinterest? You don't need to send a shit ton of rounds downrange to maintain proficiency, especially if she's already capable.
    Last edited by sickeness; 05-03-2024 at 06:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sickeness View Post
    As a father of girls myself, this is undoubtedly the most honest and practical post in the thread.

If she ain't into shooting, buying her a new gun or platform that she may like more isn't going to change her view. The girls probably go shoot with you because they like spending time with dad, if they already have a gun that they shoot well and they like, just go ahead and stick with that and try to get as much range time in as you can while they are still with you. If they like the M&P then you've already answered your own question. Someone who isn't into guns is not going to appreciate the distinction between one striker fired polymer gun to another, nor would a 5% difference in recoil even be noticed.

Maybe you should consider the fact that you are asking her to do "higher volume practice" when she wants to just go hang out with her friends may be a contributing factor to her disinterest? You don't need to send a shit ton of rounds downrange to maintain proficiency, especially if she's already capable.
    This is true

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by sickeness View Post

My 17 year old daughter goes shooting with me more to spend time with me than to shoot, but she always has a blast when shooting. She also understands something of the reality of self defense but will probably be unwilling to make many compromises to prepare for that possibility.

However, if and when the time comes when she needs a gun NOW, I can at least help make that gun being available closer to reality.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Name:  IMG_2606.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  80.9 KB

Not a 9mm .. but probably this softest by shooting centerfire pistol I’ve ever shot … and I have actually tried to limp wrist it …

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff22 View Post
    Glock 48?
    I’m surprised that it took so long to get this suggestion. For a dedicated HD gun for smaller hands, this seems like the easy button. There’s a line where small 9mms become snappy, and the 48, IMHO, is the only one of the various 43 frame-sized Glocks residing on the other side of that line.

I taught a petite bartender/brewmaster to shoot a year or two back, and she could make anything work—including 43 and 43x, but she settled on a 42 for carry and wants the 48 for home and class/competition. This was after a multi-week process that involved a pile of evil from my safe, along with a long day of rental 9mms from the member range, including Sig and all sizes of 9mm Glock. The 48 is a pussy cat, whereas the 43 is more of a mouse that roars.

Just another rando data point/opinion. OMMV.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Today, I took two similar pistols -S&W Equalizer and M&P Compact 3.6"- to the range. There are only small differences in the lengths, heights, widths, and weights of the guns. The grip sizes of the guns are the same as measured by the method described on page 4 of this thread. Being made by the same company, the operating controls and other characteristics of the guns are very much alike.

Notwithstanding the similarities of the guns, I can shoot the M&P much better than the Equalizer.

This is just a reminder to the OP that measurements can only tell so much. In the end, you have to see how a pistol works for you.

Name:  S&W Equalizer and M&P Compact.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  93.8 KB

For a 9mm that's easy on the hands and great for home defense, you might wanna check out the Walther PDP Compact or the Sig Sauer P365 X-Macro. They're both red dot friendly and have a rep for being comfy for shooters with smaller hands.

User Tag List