Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Magtech QC declining?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Greg Ellifritz had mentioned a similar issue in his newsletter recently. I gave him some Federal .32 JHP's to play with when we talked at TacCon this year. I'll see if he has any more feedback on the Magtech stuff.

I have a couple of cases of the older 115 grain 9mm stuff upstairs. I'll see how it shoots this weekend, I'm breaking in a new Glock.
    Oh yeah their .32 long stuff is total ass, I will say that. Super hard primers or something idk.

My 432 does not like them one bit, but works fine with 80gr Hornady critical defense or S&B

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

I guesstimate that I've shot 6 or 7 cases of their 9mm 124 grain ball over the past two years. The local distributor receives two or three shipments per year from Brazil so whatever we get is fairly current production. Burns cleaner, shoots softer, and is less loud than 124 grain Blazer Brass. Don't have chrono data for either load.

My range buddies have seen failures to ignite in Glocks with 4lb (or lighter) striker springs. My springs are OEM and have never had a failure to ignite so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Sero Sed Serio View Post

I handed the round to an RSO for disposal, and he decided that the smart play was to try and fire it in his G19. He cleared the pistol, locked the slide back, dropped the round in the chamber, and dropped the slide. He got the exact same failure to return to battery that I did.
    That RSO isn't too bright.

The range I shoot at has pallet quantities of ammo, but the brand changes when they get a better deal. No problems with Magtech, Lawman, S&B, or Fiocchi in my 19, Dagger, or 92. That said, you'd have to check lot numbers. The ammo you shot could have been sitting around for two years, or it could have come off the boat last week.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Site Supporter

Interesting timing

I have noticed a bit of an issue over the last two range sessions with a lot purchased in the last year or so. Over two separate range sessions this week and last week I have had two failures to fire. Both times I've inspected the round and each one has had a typical primer strike without ignition. All rounds have been 9mm 115 FMJ which is my typical range ammo. This is a bit atypical as Magtech has been my go to for almost 6 years now.

I have also experienced hard primers in their 32 S&W Long ammo.

User Tag List