Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What podcasts do you listen to?

I very much like the Dan John Podcast (fitness) and Lex Friedman (a variety of topics).
    "It was the fuck aroundest of times, it was the find outest of times."- 45dotACP

I don't know exactly what makes something a podcast, but things I listen to while driving to and from work or long hours of mowing are,

Peter Attia MD/ The Drive
    Nerd of the Rings
    Andersonshooting
    Speed up and get your hits
    Lee Weems/That Weems Guy

Site Supporter
    So, you folks that listen to podcasts...

What speed? 1x, 1.3x, 1.5x, 2x?

1.5x here. I do the same on YT and Netflix.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post

Chris
    1.25. Depending on the person it becomes annoying to me faster than that.

Matt and Shane’s Secret Podcast

I’m a huge fan of comedy podcasts. It’s my major entertainment outlet. My number one go-to is Matt and Shane’s secret podcast, but anything with Shane Gillis, Matt McCusker, Dan Soder, Mark Normand, Joe List, Big Jay Oakerson, Luis J. Gomez, that whole crew of Comedians.

I also enjoy Dan Carlin’s hardcore history.

I tend to stay away from the various veteran podcasts, I’m already in the military, I don’t need to be exposed to it 24/7 in my off work time as well.

I like listening to that podcast my that @jlw guy. It's the number one podcast recorded in his kitchen.

American Fighting Revolver
    Misfit Children Society with Duke Krieger on Friday after work
    SAN's Internet Storm Center every morning
    Big Tex Ordinance
    Primary and Secondary
    Shawn Ryan

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MVS View Post
    1.25. Depending on the person it becomes annoying to me faster than that.
    I started out with 1.25, but when that started to feel normal, I bumped up to 1.5. Now that feels normal and being forced to use 1x sounds like the speaker is on methadone to my ears.

I started doing this because some podcasts are long and I started to get a huge backlog. It only recently occurred to me that I don't have to listen to every damn one.

Chris

Nothing news or current events or politics or motivational or sports.

Mostly psychology/sociologyl, although I suppose some of that could stray into motivational

• Freakonomics
    • No Stupid Questions
    • TED Radio Hour
    • TED Talks Daily
    • Hidden Brain
    • Revisionist History
    • ReThinking

Also a “maker” podcast or two
    1. Making It
    2. Creative Culture

Used to have a bunch of constructionnindistry stuff but stopped taking work home.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post

Chris
    Depends on the podcast. For those with very high production values, such as This American Life or Serial, where the pauses in the conversation are often left in deliberately to help deliver a stronger emotional impact, there I'll stick with just 1×. For others I'll bump it up to 1.2× or 1.3×, if it's a high production value but typically of an informative nature, where there's no intentional pauses, e.g., Planet Money. For conversational/interview type podcasts, such as Team House​ or the various CSIS podcasts, I'll go up to 1.5×.

I have a few that I listen to regularly. Hardcore History has already been mentioned. My listening is generally while driving or working out.

The Rest is HistoryHistorians Tom Holland and Dominic Sandbrook present an eclectic mix of history stories. Very entertaining and my wife even listens each week. This has really turned her on to history.

School of War Hosted by Aaron MacLean with a focus on war (ancient and modern) and geopolitical strategy. Each week is Aaron interviewing someone.

We Have Ways of Making you Talk James Holland and Al Murray's endless podcast on WW2. It is in depth and mostly good but I am starting to get tired of Al Murray. It is organized by topic so if you are interested in a specific aspect of the war they probably have a series on it.

The World and Everything in It Basically Christian NPR. I listen with the kids during breakfast during the week.

And as an aside, I don't know how Apple is so good at making things easy yet their podcast platform is....difficult. It seems like it should be much easier to cue up shows.

User Tag List