Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Only "one watch"/only "two watch"

I think the Bulova Accutron Astronaut circa 1962-67. The only watch (at the time) accurate enough to be worn by pilots of the fastest airplane ever built.

Name:  IMG_2514.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  31.8 KB

And for watch two: A ~36mm Rolex Oyster Perpetual bubbleback. Because you need something to wear with a suit.

Wink

What I have right now ,Casio G shock with digital/analog and Omega Seamaster 2531.80
    Covers just about everything in life , not that I wouldn't like others

Quote Originally Posted by CSW View Post
    Gratuitous picture.

Attachment 117662
    Product shot of mine:

Name:  Screenshot 2024-04-25 at 6.59.29 AM.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  32.5 KB

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

What do we think is the current production watch version of an HK USP? It needs to be analog, accurate, robust to the point of overbuilt, priced below a G.

This is my one watch, a Sinn U1 I have had for coming up on 15 years. Up until a few months ago I wore it ~everyday regardless of the activity. I like the overall look of the watch and the simplicity of the face. After having it for about 6 or so years it stopped keeping time. I sent it in for repairs and it basically needed cleaning and overhaul. I think it was ~$400 at the time. It came back keeping noticeably better time than it did when it was new.

Fast forward to a few months ago and it started losing "charge" overnight. I reached out to the Sinn US authorized repair center and was told that the overhaul costs were now ~$700 and a YEAR backlog before they could get to it. I checked with sending it to Sinn in Germany but I can't remember now what dissuaded me from that at the time. Needless to say this was both frustrating and unacceptable so the watch has been sitting in my safe since last fall and I'm not sure what I am going to do with it. Perhaps this is the norm with mechanical watches and my expectations are not in line with reality. Based on my experience with this Sinn I hope I never end up on a German submarine!

So while this is my one watch I would not recommend it to others if you plan to wear it daily.

I would like to get a similar "clean" looking watch for less money so I will be checking out the posts in this thread. What is the Glock 19 of watches (that doesn't look like a 1980's calculator)? At this point I don't care if it is quartz or mechanical?

Name:  IMG_6350.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  53.1 KB

Site Supporter
    PRESUMPTION-BY DEFINITION A QUARTZ WATCH IS MORE DURABLE THAN AN AUTOMATIC GIVEN FAR LESS MOVING PARTS.

https://www.jomashop.com/victorinox-inox-watches.html

Two offerings as the HK USP of watches.

Victornox INOX in Quartz at 300 ish

Name:  victorinox-i.n.o.x.-black-dial-black-leather-men_s-watch-241737.1.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  46.6 KB

This one is 350ish and called a women's' watch. However, it is a chunky 37 mm watch such that many a man could wear it with ease.

Name:  victorinox-inox-v-quartz-white-dial-ladies-watch-241919-241919bl_1.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  34.7 KB
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Site Supporter
    One watch?
    Breitling Aerospace. I’ve had this since 1997, wore it on every combat mission. Slim, light, accurate, durable. Works with a suit or a flight suit. Ops tested to 9.6 Gs. I’ll admit that it has sentimental as well as practical value.
    Name:  IMG_2694.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  47.5 KB

Two watches?
    Add the Breitling Exospace. Adds lots of functions - the sweep second hand and ability to change time zones when my iPhone detects a change are particularly appreciated. And rechargeable, so no battery swaps required. It’s a bit thicker and a little heavier, but I’m not climbing in and out of fighter cockpits anymore. The larger dial is a bit easier on my eyes in low light at the end of a long day, too.
    Name:  IMG_2698.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  66.9 KB

I’d still cheat and add an Apple watch for workouts if I could have a 3rd (which I do) 😉

(Apologies for the crappy images- they look fine on my phone and iPad, but seem to lose resolution when uploaded).

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Train View Post
    This is my one watch, a Sinn U1 I have had for coming up on 15 years. Up until a few months ago I wore it ~everyday regardless of the activity. I like the overall look of the watch and the simplicity of the face. After having it for about 6 or so years it stopped keeping time. I sent it in for repairs and it basically needed cleaning and overhaul. I think it was ~$400 at the time. It came back keeping noticeably better time than it did when it was new.

Fast forward to a few months ago and it started losing "charge" overnight. I reached out to the Sinn US authorized repair center and was told that the overhaul costs were now ~$700 and a YEAR backlog before they could get to it. I checked with sending it to Sinn in Germany but I can't remember now what dissuaded me from that at the time. Needless to say this was both frustrating and unacceptable so the watch has been sitting in my safe since last fall and I'm not sure what I am going to do with it. Perhaps this is the norm with mechanical watches and my expectations are not in line with reality. Based on my experience with this Sinn I hope I never end up on a German submarine!

So while this is my one watch I would not recommend it to others if you plan to wear it daily.

I would like to get a similar "clean" looking watch for less money so I will be checking out the posts in this thread. What is the Glock 19 of watches (that doesn't look like a 1980's calculator)? At this point I don't care if it is quartz or mechanical?

That generation of U1 most likely has an ETA movement; any reputable watchmaker can service it. I had mine serviced locally when I had my U1.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

I dont have a brand name. As long as its durable I dont really care who made it, but i do have a set of requirements.

1. 40mm - 43mm
    2, MUST have ALL Arabic numerals. No skipping every other one or the 12,3,6,9 or 12,6, None of that. HAS TO BE 1 - 12
    3, And I really like day/date function.

Currently I just have a Seiko Auto with those features

Quote Originally Posted by MountainRaven View Post
    One watch: Tudor Pelagos 39.
    https://media.tudorwatch.com/image/u...r-m25407n-0001

Two watches: ...and a Cartier Tank SolarBeat.
    https://www.cartier.com/dw/image/v2/...m=fit&sfrm=png

Three watches: ...and a Casio G-Shock GA2100.
    https://www.casio.com/content/dam/ca...-2100RC-1A.png
    Too late to edit my original post, but I want to add that I do own a Pelagos 39 and a CasiOak (albeit not that particular one), but I do not own a Tank. But if I did. If I had to build a two- or three-watch collection. It would be that one.

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    Product shot of mine:

Name:  Screenshot 2024-04-25 at 6.59.29 AM.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  32.5 KB

Okie John
    I kind of wish that had a California dial.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    What do we think is the current production watch version of an HK USP? It needs to be analog, accurate, robust to the point of overbuilt, priced below a G.
    Probably one of the metal G-shocks. Probably an MT-G.

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Train View Post
    What is the Glock 19 of watches (that doesn't look like a 1980's calculator)? At this point I don't care if it is quartz or mechanical?

A Casio G-shock. Probably. (Probably one of the plastic ones, in this case. Pun not intended.)
    Last edited by MountainRaven; 04-25-2024 at 11:20 AM.
    And remember when demons and beasts cast their darkness, you have God's love - and Browning's wrath - to guide you.

User Tag List